Colo Gogo

Banshee

From Simon Bird / Mirror --- Interesting bit underlined.

Fabricio Coloccini is poised to do a U-turn and commit to Newcastle for the rest of the season - after they warned the defender it would cost him £7million to quit.

Magpies manager Alan Pardew has been holding delicate talks with captain and dressing-room leader Coloccini, who reaffirmed his desire to return to Argentina for family reasons in a meeting with lawyers and club officials on Monday.

The 31-year-old was informed he would only be able to walk away from the Geordies if he buys out his own contract for around £7m.

Alternatively, he would be pursued to the full extent of the law if goes on strike and refuses to play while trying to negotiate a move home to Argentina.

The situation was softening later on Thursday, and while there are no guarantees, Pardew was working on a deal that would end the stand-off and refocus Coloccini on Newcastle's relegation fight.

Coloccini was wanted by Buenos Aires side San Lorenzo, where his dad Osaldo works, but they could not afford the transfer fee and withdrew their interest on Wednesday.

He trained as usual with his team-mates on Thursday and a push is on to make sure he is available for the Magpies' next game - a relegation six-pointer against Aston Villa next Tuesday.

Whilst trying to provide as much support as possible to the defender, Newcastle have maintained a tough stance, adamant they will not write off a valuable financial asset and allow Coloccini to leave for free.

If he should press the nuclear button and refuse to play to force a move, his £60k-a-week wages will be stopped and legal action sought.

It could also wreck his international career, because he's been called into the Argentina squad to face Sweden in a friendly on February 6.

Newcastle do feel sympathy for his personal troubles, but Coloccini only signed a new four-year deal last March, when the same issues were being dealt with.

United are in a difficult legal position, with fans wanting information on whether the club's leader is prepared to play, or is engaged in a game of bluff ahead of the transfer deadline, but the situation will come to a head in the next 48 hours.

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you keep him as captain though? Or should we be looking to evolve the squad anyway. Maybe he would perform better not as captain?

Should be one of the french players. I'd give the armband to Cabaye as he's more likely to be a NUFC player next season.

Colo may be staying but he's definitely burned his bridges at the club, I can't imagine the other players will be too enamoured with his leadership if he's only here because he can't afford to leave.

Don't think the captaincy makes any odds to his perfromance.

He's trained and played throughout the uncertainty though and by all accounts he's absolutely the finest example of a pro at the club so should keep the armband I'd say.

he realised he know longer had to partner willo or hoof the ball long, that would have been enough to make me scat as well.

QFT , and perhaps his wife is depressed - life in South America to Newcastle Upon Tyne in the winter is a big ask for a housewife.

How quickly some grind axes, we don't have a clue about the full story - and perhaps his wife doesn't want her personal life exposed to the public (especially if its mental illness, with the stigma that brings)

But go on, keep telling us how hes suddenly not been our most key player all season this year, despite being out of form.

Of course I'm happy he's staying and will support him despite him fucking us about (hey, I like him and think he's quality but whichever way you look at it he has). However, he can't continue as captain after this. We're currently in the shit and if you're leader and captain is not 100% committed (which he isn't) then he has to make way for someone who is.

I don't really understand what this has to do with Michael Owen to be honest. Our current captain desperately wants to be away and tried to force a move. He's only staying because we're not going to let that happen. Looking at those facts, someone else should be captain. Someone with a bit more focus on the job in hand. He has been a great player for us and will 100% support him, but he's in the wrong here like.

Well we don't know if he's in the wrong or just been in an awful position. But regardless of that he's done his best to put it to one side when he's been playing. I think punishing him isn't going to have anything but a negative effect.

Like I say, all of the players need to stand up and be counted and any of them can still show leadership without actually having the armband.

Absolutely, he was immense last year. I hope he continues to be immense with whatever has been agreed between him and the club. I just think, with what has gone on, that it's inappropriate for him to continue as captain.