Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Interesting to note as well how much Junker / Tusk etc have bent over backwards to try and get this deal done this week. I think this shows how keen they are to get onto Phase 2 and get a deal done.

All bodes well for a cracking deal.

How did they bend over?

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

A quick look at the text on NI suggests that Dublin got exactly what they were asking for.

Is there anything to stop the EU setting up customs checks at the road north out of somewhere like Dundalk?...

40 minutes ago, ewerk said:

ECJ jurisdiction for eight years on citizens rights.

Full alignment on EU regulations.

I’m not sure the UK got a single thing their own way.

Lucky it only took us 18 months to get this far. :lol:

41 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Is there anything to stop the EU setting up customs checks at the road north out of somewhere like Dundalk?...

The idea is to have no customs checks at all. No matter where they’re at they’re not acceptable. Plus at least 90% of North/South trade runs along the N1.

4 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Lucky it only took us 18 months to get this far. :lol:

Cracking deal though*.

*For the EU.

Edited by ewerk

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Interesting to note as well how much Junker / Tusk etc have bent over backwards to try and get this deal done this week. I think this shows how keen they are to get onto Phase 2 and get a deal done.

All bodes well for a cracking deal.

Phase 2 is transition talks. Trade isn’t til Phase 3.

Shows just how desperate the EU are to give us a cracking deal.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The idea is to have no customs checks at all. No matter where they’re at they’re not acceptable. Plus at least 90% of North/South trade runs along the N1.

There's a two year transitional period, and I've just listened to the PM and the dup wife list the bullet points. Campbell on 5live has just read out the massively ambiguous paragraph 49 of the agreement being trumpeted this morning. This isn't the end, this isn't the beginning of the end and it's definitely not the end of the beginning on the border issue for you folks. I think you'll end up with EU checks for lorries going South out of NI, but not till after the two year transitional period. 

“In the absence of agreed solutions, the United Kingdom will maintain full alignment with those rules of the internal market and the customs union which, now or in the future, support north-south cooperation, the all-island economy and the protection of the 1998 agreement...

“The United Kingdom will ensure that no new regulatory barriers develop between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom, unless, consistent with the 1998 agreement, the Northern Ireland executive and assembly agree that distinct arrangements are appropriate for Northern Ireland.

“In all circumstances, the United Kingdom will continue to ensure the same unfettered access for Northern Ireland’s businesses to the whole of the United Kingdom internal market.”

Don't know about anyone else, but given the DUP has insisted there is no divergence of NI from Britain, this sounds like we are paying a fortune to effectively stay in the SM and CU, whilst losing any input into changing it. Obviously begs the question what's the fucking point?

I think the Brexiteers'heads are going to explode today. :D

We are going to have full alignment unless otherwise agreed so I think that pretty much means SM/CU in all but name.

But Michael Gove still reckons we’re going to be negotiating our own free trade deals around the world...

Aye, SM in all but name, basically as we were saying a few days ago.

Pointless fucking exercise were my words the other day, fitting now too :lol:

Still, technically it's a win for May since she can push the talks forward, again as predicted. Onwards we go to the next catastrophe.

Edited by Rayvin

They say the transition period is two years...What's the betting it ends up being 3 or 5? :lol:

My mate at the investment bank now says that they have shelved their plans for Frankfurt till 2022 even though they did the feasibility and regulatory study last year.

FFS.

They may as well fucking roll that out to everyone then, given that the Tories said it will be 'exactly the same, everywhere'. What is the actual fucking point of any of this now?

18 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

FFS.

They may as well fucking roll that out to everyone then, given that the Tories said it will be 'exactly the same, everywhere'. What is the actual fucking point of any of this now?

This was always going to happen because of the GFA. Its possible British citizens will be able buy EU citizenship going forward, which I will certainly do.