Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would a customs union prevent border problems? Obviously there would be no customs checks but surely there would still be an onus on the EU to ensure that goods passing through their borders conform to SM standards?

And given that the CU would preclude us from making new trade deals, what is the point in Brexit any more? Just to keep the dirty Eastern Europeans out?

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Would a customs union prevent border problems? Obviously there would be no customs checks but surely there would still be an onus on the EU to ensure that goods passing through their borders conform to SM standards?

And given that the CU would preclude us from making new trade deals, what is the point in Brexit any more? Just to keep the dirty Eastern Europeans out?

To keep NI border frictionless (and Dover and Folkestone for that matter) we need to be in both SM and CU, but the SM is far more important. We also need ECJ oversight or EFTA equivalent. 

And no, there us no fucking point in leaving other than appease idiots like CT. Damage limitation now. Fwiw I think a fair proportion of MPs are finally getting it. 

I think most MPs always got it but were afraid of being labeled as saboteurs or enemies of the people but now are maybe becoming a bit braver.

So being in a CU ties us to the EU as our main trading partner, it makes absolutely no sense to leave the SM in that case. Migration won't reduce signficantly as we still need the labour and all it will do will be to cause damage to our services sector and most probably our manufacturing base too.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think most MPs always got it but were afraid of being labeled as saboteurs or enemies of the people but now are maybe becoming a bit braver.

So being in a CU ties us to the EU as our main trading partner, it makes absolutely no sense to leave the SM in that case. Migration won't reduce signficantly as we still need the labour and all it will do will be to cause damage to our services sector and most probably our manufacturing base too.

Fully agree. I think the CU debate is simply to pave the way for staying in the SM. Grieve said as much yesterday and Cooper hinted at it. Of course Cooper can't come out and say this at this stage because of idiot Corbyn.

Most people will be happy with Norway Plus. It's the sensible compromise.

2 minutes ago, adios said:

"So is you here on holiday?" :lol:  

:lol: The beginning is quite funny too when he's asking the Sinn Fein wifey is Gaelic is a batty boy language

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

:lol: The beginning is quite funny too when he's asking the Sinn Fein wifey is Gaelic is a batty boy language

Just watched that bit, the crack bit is excellent too. :lol:  

• Like 1

I try not to get too worked up about the BBC and Brexit but Liam Fox was on the news earlier and accused the House of Lords of attempting to stop Brexit and subvert the will of the people, pretty serious charges. Dan Walker decides not to offer any sort of examination of the statement and immediately moves on to ask him about the Tory power stance. I know he's not Paxman but when this sort of rhetoric continues to go completely unchallenged it ends up becoming accepted fact by those incapable of rational analysis i.e. a large number of the electorate.

• Like 1

Apparently Farage was on Loose Women the other week and in advance it was claimed he would 'get a grilling'. Kelly Brook blew a raspberry on his belly and Janet Street-Porter asked him what his view was on the latest royal baby. Now I wouldn't have expected them to actually give him a seriously hard time but it's the fact they get him on stuff like this then arse-lick him (almost literally it would appear) then treat him like he's some likeable rogueish uncle, rather than the barely contained crypto-fascist he really is that I find disturbing to say the least. Meanwhile Corbyn is treated with utter disdain. Now, I'm far from the latter's biggest fan, especially in regard to his leadership qualities but he's immeasurably more decent in just about every way

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Apparently Farage was on Loose Women the other week and in advance it was claimed he would 'get a grilling'. Kelly Brook blew a raspberry on his belly and Janet Street-Porter asked him what his view was on the latest royal baby. Now I wouldn't have expected them to actually give him a seriously hard time but it's the fact they get him on stuff like this then arse-lick him (almost literally it would appear) then treat him like he's some likeable rogueish uncle, rather than the barely contained crypto-fascist he really is that I find disturbing to say the least. Meanwhile Corbyn is treated with utter disdain. Now, I'm far from the latter's biggest fan, especially in regard to his leadership qualities but he's immeasurably more decent in just about every way

:omgwank:

What was he doing on there? Does he have a TV programme or book to plug? Regardless, what's a women's light entertainment show doing booking one of the most divisive figures in UK politics?

Brexit is seriously unravelling now. Fox and co will get more desperate in the next few weeks with their will of the people shit but nobody's listening any more.

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

Brexit is seriously unravelling now. Fox and co will get more desperate in the next few weeks with their will of the people shit but nobody's listening any more.

How so? Anything new happened?

My dad was telling me that Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine were on... I'm gonna guess Radio 4 but tbh I missed the program name - but anyway, Clarke apparently stated that remaining in the single market was so important to this country's future that if a Labour government was needed to ensure that this outcome was delivered, then people should vote Labour. Not so much an endorsement of Labour as a withering condemnation of his own party's approach to Brexit.