Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Labour stick to their tests for the final deal then there's no way they can vote for it. We saw last week that there are enough Tory EU rebels to win a vote. I can't see anything other than a soft Brexit or second referendum right now.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

How so? Anything new happened?

My dad was telling me that Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine were on... I'm gonna guess Radio 4 but tbh I missed the program name - but anyway, Clarke apparently stated that remaining in the single market was so important to this country's future that if a Labour government was needed to ensure that this outcome was delivered, then people should vote Labour. Not so much an endorsement of Labour as a withering condemnation of his own party's approach to Brexit.

The HoL batting it back to the commons is another nail in the coffin. 

For me it boils down to "no deal" is simply not possible. Just from a practical point of view, there's been zero preparations on the UK side and very little from the EU. Time has ran out. Barnier has us exactly where he wants us.

I also think there is a strong possibility May will have to resign very shortly. She's horribly exposed by Windrush and I believe there is damning documentation to this effect which will soon come out. 

10 minutes ago, adios said:

Only way I can see it getting worse is if he grew a little moustache.

That would be honest, not worse.

Surely JRM can't muster the parliamentary support of the conservative party to be a nominee? Right? :unsure:

Just now, Renton said:

That would be honest, not worse.

Surely JRM can't muster the parliamentary support of the conservative party to be a nominee? Right? :unsure:

He easily could. Problem is whether there is a political leader / strategist behind the clever words. I have my doubts.

The best political thinker is Gove but not many people like him.

Pretty bland bunch the lot of them.

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

He easily could. Problem is whether there is a political leader / strategist behind the clever words. I have my doubts.

The best political thinker is Gove but not many people like him.

Pretty bland bunch the lot of them.

When has Gove ever proven to be a political thinker? I can't recall any single thing he has done in any position of power, that has impressed anyone with half a brain. Not even anti-Tory bias on this one, even amongst the Tories he's fucking pathetic.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

When has Gove ever proven to be a political thinker? I can't recall any single thing he has done in any position of power, that has impressed anyone with half a brain. Not even anti-Tory bias on this one, even amongst the Tories he's fucking pathetic.

He's done enough to impress CT. Is that not enough?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:lol: Justice, education and now in his revolutionary plans for the environment.

Forgive me, but I’m not going to spend too much time defending Gove to a corybyista but this article has a few career details in.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gove-is-a-great-nearly-man-of-british-politics-j7js3zlkb

5 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: Justice, education and now in his revolutionary plans for the environment.

Forgive me, but I’m not going to spend too much time defending Gove to a corybyista but this article has a few career details in.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/gove-is-a-great-nearly-man-of-british-politics-j7js3zlkb

I'm not a Corbynista. As you know.

Don't have a Times subscription either. I don't recall his time as Justice Minister but didn't get sacked after falling out with Theresa May? On Education, he seems to be loathed by parents, teachers and students alike. So I'm at a loss as to who thinks he did a good job there.

And the environment - ignoring the fact that his recent plans appear to have been inspired by a documentary rather than him actually keeping on top of things himself - I do concede that he may well actually do some good there. But until he does, he's getting fuck all credit from me.

Edited by Rayvin

10 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

why would some who voted corbyn defend gove? :CT:

12 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

The man can't even figure out how to clap his hands.

Michael_Gove_clapping.gif

Let's see just how fucking obvious we can make it that we're aliens in skin-suits and the silly humans still won't see it.

Half of them will even vote for us.

CLJ9F7a.gif

• Haha 2

So if Theresa May gives into the MPs in her party and rules out any form of customs partnership/arrangement then is there any other option than a hard brexit? Technology isn't going to work and the backstop option would be a huge problem for the government's relationship with the DUP as well as unpopular within her party.

Also interesting that Davis confirmed yesterday that the financial settlement with the EU is simply us settling our accounts rather than a quid pro quo for any future trade agreement.

She must have a plan. There's surely no way she would blindly walk up this alley with governmental collapse on one hand and the break up of the union on the other, if she could even get that past the DUP.

I refuse to believe the Tories are that stupid.

I can only see her calling the Brexiters' bluff. If they want to force an election then there's certainly no guarantee that results will be any better than last time round.