Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 12/04/2018 at 11:41, Renton said:

So, there is a rumour on the wind that Nissan Sunderland is going to be announced as a "planned closure" after 2022 shortly. I have no idea as to the source or veracity of this rumour. In a way I would hope it's true as it may focus government minds to stay in the SM and CU and the closure will therefore be prevented. On the other hand if May sticks with her red lines it would be simply catastrophic for the north east, as demonstrated by the government's own economic analysis. There's a very gloomy article on the BBC today about the challenges of Brexit to the automotive industry as it happens, none of it is good. There is simply no positive upshot. 

But I'd like to ask @Christmas Tree  if hypothetically this happens if he will admit he was wrong to back Brexit? And furthermore, even if it doesn't happen, why he felt the risk, which he acknowledged was real at the time, was warranted? Yeah, you'll say you've said it all before, but you really haven't. Now I know you're an intellectual heavyweight, I think you owe it to clarify to us other than we're going to get a "cracking deal".

Nissan to cut hundreds of jobs at Sunderland.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business/business-news/nissan-cut-jobs-sunderland-due-14555976

Now interestingly the reason given is the fall in demand for diesel, not Brexit. I'm suspicious, but prepared to accept this. However, it seems obvious to me that Brexit exposes this plant to particular risks. I'd say you'd have to be an idiot to vote for Brexit if you were a service provider to that community. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Davis due before the exiting the eu committee shortly. As I’m off and loaded with cold I might as well watch and see what fuck ups he makes.

I've been a supporter of David Davis since the 2005 leadership contest but he's underachieving big time under May's government and I put it down to mostly Theresa May's government being pretty shite. 

3 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

I've been a supporter of David Davis since the 2005 leadership contest but he's underachieving big time under May's government and I put it down to mostly Theresa May's government being pretty shite. 

Have to confess I've only had him on my radar really since Brexit. What about him makes you think (or made you think) that he was competent?

11 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Does it not get exhausting being so controversial all the time?

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Have to confess I've only had him on my radar really since Brexit. What about him makes you think (or made you think) that he was competent?

He appeared to be a principled, disciplined individual with a military background. 

3 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

He appeared to be a principled, disciplined individual with a military background. 

And now? Never really been clear on what having a 'military background' gives to a politician I have to say.

Just now, SpaceCadet said:

I prefer politicians to have experience outside of politics, some understanding of the real world.

Well, me too. But ideally they should be in positions that reflect their background. A military guy in Defence, sure. Negotiating Brexit? You'd think a lawyer would be better for that... Starmer would have been ideal.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Well, me too. But ideally they should be in positions that reflect their background. A military guy in Defence, sure. Negotiating Brexit? You'd think a lawyer would be better for that... Starmer would have been ideal.

I agree that a law background would be far more ideal. But seeing as though the Conservatives were elected by an embarrassingly small margin I would go with Dominic Raab.

He's not very intelligent, that's his main problem. He had absolutely no vision regarding the fallout of the leave vote he campaigned for and has no idea how to rectify the variety of problems that have arisen as a result. As payback May put him in the post which would expose this to the greatest degree. If it wasn't so important it would be poetic justice.

2 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

I agree that a law background would be far more ideal. But seeing as though the Conservatives were elected by an embarrassingly small margin I would go with Dominic Raab.

Without condoning the whole Brexit operation, I agree that Raab would have been a better choice. Presumably he was a Remainer though, and May seemed to put Brexiters into high profile positions as a shield against being remembered as the PM who oversaw whatever horrors will follow (break up of the Union, economic regression, etc).

Edited by Rayvin