Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

I suppose we'll have a better idea tomorrow if he travels with the team given that the club are not confident about keeping him. Was there a press conference today ? for tomorrow's game.

:(

The Cabaye song for me symbolises the relationship between the club and its supporters perfectly. Impotent in the face of overwhelming economic and financial forces, the 'go nuclear' option is no longer a true reality at any club. I doubt there would have been a riot at Anfield if Suarez had gone last summer, or if Rooney had left Old Trafford. But its still threatened.

There arent however many clubs like us that are hovering between the top spots and mid-table with the undoubted ability to bridge the gap with the requisite investment. The fans all know this but they are also, after 5 years of Ashley, perfectly clear what sort of chairman he is. The Cabaye song is defiance in the face of what is likely, a sort of 'i fucking dare you' spat at a drunken enemy in a bar brawl, go on then do your worst and fuck you for doing it. No one can have followed us last summer and not accepted that there would be an inevitable parting of the ways. The fans still sang the song and threatened that riot. The relationship between club and supporter, between supporter and the wider game is summed up in that song.

its a defiant, possibly even a bit painful refrain from the stands, sung with gusto but really with an acceptance that if a club with the financial might and attractiveness of what PSG have now become comes in for a player, there is little the fans can do. That context is how the Cabaye song should be heard.

The big question has to be whether Ashley will in fact have a riot on his hands when he sells cabaye, or, more probably, a group of gloomy and apathetic supporters?

I DONT predict a riot .

"You are talking to someone who lost Andy Carroll with eight hours to go, so am I confident? No, I'm not confident, and I don't think any team not in a Champions League position or fighting for a Champions League position could be.

"You are talking to a manager who actually when he lost Andy Carroll, lost a massive part of a team that wasn't safe. We didn't have 36 points when we lost Andy Carroll, so it was a hell of a blow(we had 30 points but were a place higher, in seventh. Wolves stayed up with 40).

"I still maintain that was one of my best periods as a manager at this football club, getting us safe that year, so in terms of my mentality, I'm just strong about it.

"I am strong whatever happens. I am the manager and I have got to deal with it.

"We know we have got a club interested in Cabaye, a very wealthy club and a powerful club, and we are conscious of that - we are doing our best to protect Newcastle."

Asked if Cabaye had played his last Newcastle game:

"I'd like to think he has learned from that experience because I think he could have dealt with it better. I don't see a problem at Norwich, and obviously sunderland doesn't matter because it is outside of the window. He will either be here or he won't.

"We are hoping to sign a player outside the Cabaye situation for the second half of the season, and we are getting a little bit closer to that, on a positive side."

Edited by trooper

Biggest revelation of the day is not that Pardew has stated he doesnt think we are competing for a CL place, its the fact that there are people who think we actually are.

It's like people dont believe what we told earlier in the season.

Biggest revelation of the day is not that Pardew has stated he doesnt think we are competing for a CL place, its the fact that there are people who think we actually are.

I certainly don't think that we have a chance but when we're just seven points off do you not think it would benefit the team to at least have it to aim for? Even to fool the players into believing that we have some sort of ambition could only be a positive thing.

If you're looking for plusses, at least he's not fucking off to another English club so we don't have to see it rubbed in our face. Big decision by the club, and surely an epiphany for the Ashley apologists about the clubs intentions and complete lack of ambition. We ARE run exactly like S****s D****t. You don't have to be anywhere near the best, or thought of as the best, as long as you're in the public domain and buying cheap and selling high then it's a perfect business model. Twat.