Other Games

Park Life

Honestly, I’ve never laughed so hard during a football game in years. Sunderland weren’t good, they were just better than Man Utd. Neither team were playing with fluidity, the centre of the park was dominated by Cattermole for goodness sake. Lee Cattermole, with his shorts up to his armpits.

Passes going astray, team mates baffled by the choice or lack of movement from their colleagues. There was a point when Buutner (sp?) had the ball about 25 yards out on the left of the box with 2 Man U players in space to his right. Neither of them made any move forward, he passed to Hernandez who was being man-marked by a touch-tight O’Shea and so the move broke down. Januzaj isn’t half the player he’s been made out to be. Without Rooney and Van Persie Man Utd aren’t just decent, they’re bang average. Beyond those two I struggle to see a single player that would be guaranteed a starting position for us, let alone another team traditionally vying for the top spots;

• De Gea is still error prone
  • Rafael is rash and poor and certainly not as good as Debuchy
  • Buutner isn’t going to make it and isn’t as good as Santon
  • Evans is no better than Taylor/Williamson
  • Smalling has potential, but currently, he’s not much cop.
  • Cleverley, Carrick, Fletcher, Valencia, not one would usurp our midfield.
  • Kagawa is criminally underused and would be competing with Hatem Ben Arfa
  • Januzaj, Zaha both have potential, but currently the culmination of that potential looks a long way off.
  • Wellbeck & Hernandez are very limited.

Moyes is a good manager and I think he can win a title at Man Utd, however he needs to get rid of 90% of that deadwood and bring in new players asap.

I wonder how feeling about Moyes?

Sunderland have passion, can’t fault them for that, but the moment Johnson discovers he’s not going to the World Cup their hopes of staying in the league will dwindle with the form of their best player.

Man Utd made Cattermole and Bardsley look like Vieira and Cafu for God’s sake.

They’re still to visit Us, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea & Man U, which I suppose puts all the pressure on the home games (7/8 come against sides that are within 5pts of them). As an aside there more points separating 9th and 10th than there are the eleven clubs from 10th to 20th ; Bonkers. Anyway, Sunderland’s record against the top half is decent (8th overall) but against teams that were in the bottom half when they played, it’s shocking (bottom overall).

n92y.png

I thought that if you don’t take Di Canio’s reign into account and just look at Poyet’s tenure that we’d see a clear trajectory to safety, but Di Canio played only 4 of both home and away games, losing all but one away game at Southampton (who were top ½ at the time). He also played 4 from both top and bottom halves of the table.

Poyet has improved sunderland (it’d be hard not to), but I don’t think he’s a panacea, they’re still only returning only a point per game. They face the Bottom half teams (teams they appear to struggle against) 9 times before the end of the season and face the bigger sides at home. They don’t keep clean sheets (19th in the league)and only Norwich, Cardiff and Palace have scored fewer goals. All this combined says to me that if Poyet’s good work doesn’t improve their form more noticeably, our friends from the depths will be looking at c35pts and relegation.

Work’s not very busy and this post kind of got away from me…

Edit No idea what's happened to that pic...

Edited by The Fish

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair play to them, they are in a cup final and we aren't. It took a 90th minute goal from the keeper chucking the ball over his shoulder and 4 of the worst penalties I've ever seen to get them there though. Some of them are banging on like they are 1970 Brazil :lol:

There's no doubt they were incredibly lucky - even against a poor Man United they could only get one poor shot on target.

Hopefully that luck runs out when they meet Man City for a miserable day at Wembley. It's not a good day out if you get beat.

Credit where its due, they've beaten Southampton, Chelsea and Man U. You can't say they've had an easy run to the final. They wee solid against an average Man U side, but they did beat them.

I'll not down play the acheivement of getting to the final

There's no doubt they were incredibly lucky - even against a poor Man United they could only get one poor shot on target.

Hopefully that luck runs out when they meet Man City for a miserable day at Wembley. It's not a good day out if you get beat.

I disagree, think Sunderland deserved the win. Even Moyes said so afterwards. Only one shot on goal yes, but the mackems saw more of the ball, 54% possession. Not a good game by any means, mind...

I disagree, think Sunderland deserved the win. Even Moyes said so afterwards. Only one shot on goal yes, but the mackems saw more of the ball, 54% possession. Not a good game by any means, mind...

That it took an ageing left back to spark some attacking verve should tell you everything about this Man Utd side.

That it took an ageing left back to spark some attacking verve should tell you everything about this Man Utd side.

Missing my point, as I've said several times Man U were incredibly shite, but Sunderland deserved the win, they weren't "lucky" to win.

Edited by hostile_statue

I agree that Sunderland deserved to win.

They rode their luck to a degree, in that they committed lots of bodies forward and got caught out on the counter attack several times. On another day they could have conceded several times on those counters and been buried after 70 minutes. Most of the time, as soon as Man Utd broke, someone would take one of their players out and stop the play, taking a yellow for the team - successfully, you could argue.

Fair play to them though, they've beaten what was put in front of them and now have a day to Wembley to look forward to.

I see similarities with Wigan and sunlun

Wigan got to a cup final last season and sunlun have this season

Wigan play in stripes and so do sunlun

Wigan are known as an ex-3rd division club and so are sunlun

Wigan were relegated last season and sunlun will be this season

Wigan have thousands of empty seats at home games and so do sunlun

Wigan have an arse as an owner and so do sunlun ( Ellis Short wearing an FTM badge when greeting a government minister from Tanzania )

Wigan are a small club and so are sunlun

Wigan won a cup last season and sunlun will this season.........................win no cup

Yeah but come on... they played on Wednesday, played today, are playing on the coming Wednesday and then play us. They're clearly getting leggy given today's result against non-league opposition; a team that featured some changes, but at least 5 first team players.

They have Stoke next as well, which is just who you wouldn't want in the middle of all of these games. 90 minutes of pure physicality there.

If we don't win this time then I think we just have to assume that our lads have no bottle whatsoever.