Politics

Christmas Tree

22 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Unhinged.

There is clearly an awful shift to fascism on the right. In Germany a meeting got uncovered where right wing figures fantasised about repatriating people on the ground of nationality and ideology. It is like the 1920s leading to the 1930s all over again.

The best thing to do with people like her and Barton is to ignore them. I know it’s not feasible to expect everyone to do that in the world we live in but we can all play our part. Engagement and therefore earnings via controversy is what they’re all about. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Her ignorance doesn't include the Palestinians in Gaza being another example of people who were ethnically cleansed in 47/48.TO Gaza. 

• Like 5

On 11/01/2024 at 09:52, Isegrim said:

Unhinged.

There is clearly an awful shift to fascism on the right. In Germany a meeting got uncovered where right wing figures fantasised about repatriating people on the ground of nationality and ideology. It is like the 1920s leading to the 1930s all over again.

i think there's a real problem that there are no longer any proper conservatives. the tory party here is no longer the conservative party. you see the same with what's happened to the replublican party in the US and elsewhere. 

whatever you think of conservatives, and i'm no big fan, they're kind of essential for a functioning democracy. you need a group of people to wantn to preserve the status quo, who warn of the dangers of upending everything, or you end up with a situation like the one you had in germany in the 1930s. 

5 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

download (7).jpeg

well yeah, they're boring centrists but we need more boring politicians or we're going to end up with world war three sooner than we'd like. 

The problem isn't that there are no proper conservatives, the problem is their is no alternative to the increasing right wing drift, and if there was there is no way through FPTP to achieve it.

I don't have any solutions. At this point capital has won as far as I can tell

Starmer sitting dead centre of the political spectrum with perhaps an earlobe hanging over to the left would be a significant improvement on what we have now. An inoffensive PM who understands the social duties of his role but who will have a keen eye on the economy will do for me.

When the government is more focused on dehumanising a specific group of people that's a time to be concerned IMO.

Starmer may not be the perfect labour leader in the eyes of a lot of the left, but he's pretty much the perfect one to convince the fence sitters to shift their votes from the Tories and win a GE - and he doesn't seem to be a totally odious cunt either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

The problem isn't that there are no proper conservatives, the problem is their is no alternative to the increasing right wing drift, and if there was there is no way through FPTP to achieve it.

I don't have any solutions. At this point capital has won as far as I can tell

I think a centrist is the realistic alternative. The hard shift to the right by the Tories has cost them more than it will ever benefit them. No one normal wants an extreme party - otherwise Corbyn would have won by a fucking landslide years ago. The further right they go the more voters they lose and the more obscure they'll become. In a few years they'll flush the nazis out and move back to the centre once Labour have dropped the ball again. Such is the way of British politics.

• Like 1

part of the problem is no one is scared in the west anymore. for so long, there has been peace and rising living standards. the populists have taken advantage of the shitshow since the financial crisis. there were helped by the pandemic and now western democracy is under real threat if more of these nutters keep winning elections. i've got WWIII slated for 2027 after china invades taiwan

I'll be 40 in 2027. Is that too old to be conscripted or will I need to come up with a fake disability to get me out of it?

As my good friend and colleague @Rayvin would point out at this juncture the last governmental cycle failed from the centre and we ended up with Brexit and the fascist adjacent appointed to be Home Secretary twice. So am not sure how I feel at this point :unsure: 

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

. No one normal wants an extreme party - otherwise Corbyn would have won by a fucking landslide years ago. 

This proves my point, Corbyns policies were far from extreme and in isolation were supported by a majority of the population. He was a shit politician with some horrifying blind spots, combined with constant vilification from the right wing press meant he was never going to win

The fact that policies that would be viewed as mainstream in any of the nordic countries for example are considered extreme shows the narrative of the far right has won

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

As my good friend and colleague @Rayvin would point out at this juncture the last governmental cycle failed from the centre and we ended up with Brexit and the fascist adjacent appointed to be Home Secretary twice. So am not sure how I feel at this point :unsure: 

All governmental cycles fail in fairness or we'd only ever have had one party in power, ever. It's only the sheer spectacular nature of that failure that makes it stand out. The failures of the tories during their reign have been the most spectacular of all time - almost awe inspiring if it wasn't so fucking depressing.

23 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Starmer sitting dead centre of the political spectrum with perhaps an earlobe hanging over to the left would be a significant improvement on what we have now. An inoffensive PM who understands the social duties of his role but who will have a keen eye on the economy will do for me.

When the government is more focused on dehumanising a specific group of people that's a time to be concerned IMO.

Starmer may not be the perfect labour leader in the eyes of a lot of the left, but he's pretty much the perfect one to convince the fence sitters to shift their votes from the Tories and win a GE - and he doesn't seem to be a totally odious cunt either.

yeah, i'm getting a bit fed up with how safe he's playing it but i'm hoping he'll do a few things by stealth. just got to get these cunts out of power first and don't be the next kinnock - that's the main thing.

sceptics might say he wouldn't have a mandate for closoer alignment with the EU single market/customs union, to take one example, if he doesn't talk about it on the campaign trail, but he wouldn't be the first pm to win power first, then introduce a load of stuff that wasn't in the manifesto. blair and brown did it straight off the bat after winning in 97 by making the BoE independent. 

11 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

This proves my point, Corbyns policies were far from extreme and in isolation were supported by a majority of the population. He was a shit politician with some horrifying blind spots, combined with constant vilification from the right wing press meant he was never going to win

The fact that policies that would be viewed as mainstream in any of the nordic countries for example are considered extreme shows the narrative of the far right has won

i hoped that starmer would take some of corbyn's policies, package and present them to the electorate in a more palatable way - i still think there's an outside chance he might by stealth. starmer is not a cunt, he's not a tory. he's just playing it very, very safe. he's going to lose some young leftie voters on the way but i reckon they've done the sums and this is their best route to number 10

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I'll be 40 in 2027. Is that too old to be conscripted or will I need to come up with a fake disability to get me out of it?

i'll be pushing 50 by i should avoid the front line.

plus i live in london so i'll be incinerated at the nuke ground zero site and won't have to endure the slow death by radiation sickness that you poor bastards in the north will face. 

#winning

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'll be pushing 50 by i should avoid the front line.

plus i live in london so i'll be incinerated at the nuke ground zero site and won't have to endure the slow death by radiation sickness that you poor bastards in the north will face. 

#winning

You've just given me my disability tbf, I can't fight lads I am presently dying the worst possible kind of death I can think of.