Politics

Christmas Tree

Guest CabayeAye

Can't understand why he was ever elected leader. He's an utterly unimpressive man. How he was supposed to inspire anyone to vote for Labour is beyond me.

I think what the Blair government did to Britain is more likely to drive the voters away TBH.

Thanks for the financially crippled, welfare dependent state full of immigrants that is ruled from Stasbourg, BTW, Tony you total cunt.

• 2 months later...

Cracking confrontational line up for tonight.

David Dimbleby presents Question Time from Leeds. On the panel: the shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper, the Conservative party co-chairman Sayeeda Warsi, Respect MP George Galloway, president of the Liberal Democrats Tim Farron, and the Times columnist David Aaronovitch.

Expecting a barnstorming performance from George. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Papa Clegg says he's "really sad" that the lib dems have completely fucked up their strong local government base by getting in bed with the tories. Awww really sad. What a cunt.

NICK CLEGG'S LIB DEMS BEATEN BY MAN DRESSED AS PENGUIN IN EDINBURGH

318161_1.jpg

Professor Pongoo, an independent candidate, polled more votes then his Lib Dem rival

Friday May 4,2012

By Greg Heffer for Express.co.uk

commentBubble.gifHave your say(0)

MORE embarrassment was heaped on Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg today, as his party was beaten by a man dressed as a penguin in local elections in Edinburgh.

It is reported that Professor Pongoo, an independent candidate, polled 444 votes in the Pentland Hills ward for the City of Edinburgh Council.

Lib Dem candidate Stuart Bridges scored just 370 votes whilst Green candidate Phyl Stuart Meyer got 322.

Mike Ferrigan, who created the character Professor Pongoo, had promised to go to every council meeting in his penguin costume if he was elected.

The black and white outifit was a regular feature on the streets of Edinburgh, as Mr Ferrigan campaigned before last night's vote.

The embarrassment will add to Nick Clegg's misery, with his Lib Dem party having already lost 144 councillors and one council as votes continue to be counted.

:lol:

Meanwhile, Newcastle rejects an elected mayor, which is something. Pity we can't reject the buffoon who's busy getting himself reelected down here. :(

The credit for that goes to Daddy Meenzer in his televised debate against a chinless Tory

:lol: Having checked out his Come Dine With Me performance, he didn't seem to be much of a challenge.

Boris just got back in in London. Closer than I thought it'd be, but still. <_<

Labour thinking they're top boys because they did well in a midterm :lol:. Nearly as embarrassung as the people blaming the Lib Dems for making sure we're governed for five years.

• 2 months later...

Labour thinking they're top boys because they did well in a midterm :lol:. Nearly as embarrassung as the people blaming the Lib Dems for making sure we're governed for five years.

I tell you what is embarrassing, being taken in by an economic policy which is politically driven to shrink the size and role of the state but which in fact leads to increased poverty, falling living standards, rising unemployment and long term social problems without any of the proclaimed benefits. My mate and i were discussing last week how little journalists know, when you read something you are an expert on (more than the journalist) you realise how much shite they spout. Then you realise well if they spout shite about that, then they must do about everything, as the same standards apply. Then you realise that people form their opinions on the shite these wankers spout and then you begin to see that mugs like Cameron and Osborne only need to control the angle of the press to formulate ignorant opinions across a broad population.

Since the crisis, through ignorance and lack of understanding and then through willful manipulation, the post-crash economic malaise has been cast as one of debt, whereas the simple fact is that it is one of growth. Osborne, like a myriad of fucking ignorant cunts before him, cant admit he was wrong as it means he has no right to lead our economic policy. He does not have that right as he is clueless. Either for blindly following the right wing policy think tanks or just for being a massively stupid cunt.

What's the answer, Chez? And that's not a snippy "Howay then smartarse" question, it's based on genuine interest and so I can pass your intelligence off as my own at a later date.

Isn't growth across the planet being hampered by the Eurozone crisis? The banks are shit scared to lend because of it, so business can't borrow to grow. Thats to say I also largely agree that the tories have taken the oppurtunity the banking crisis provided to slash the state massively and blame it on Labour.

What's the answer, Chez? And that's not a snippy "Howay then smartarse" question, it's based on genuine interest and so I can pass your intelligence off as my own at a later date.

The simple answer is to stop austerity. The complex answer is actually in this thread and refers to the federal reserve's own model (called a Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium model) that demonstrates that in a liquidity trap, the fiscal multiplier is twice the normal size. :razz:

In laymen's terms, when interest rates are effectively zero, government expenditure is much more beneficial for the economy. In more practical terms, not everyone can do austerity at once and this is driven off Merkel's 'household fallacy'. She is the good housewife of europe who believes that an economy is just like a household and needs to be run within its means. To see how ridiculous that is, just think of a small company who grows through debt. They borrow to invest and spend more than they earn to grow the business, with a view to pulling back the expenditure later. If they thought like a household, they wouldnt even go on dragon's den.

There are only 2 economic levers, interest rates and the fiscal system. If interest rates are zero but private borrowing is restricted by the banks, then austerity is just adding another brake to the economy. Its not the long term solution but whilst the banks arent lending, government have to keep borrowing to maintain aggregate demand.

Cheers Chez, the worst thing about it all is the wilful part - sticking to their guns in the face of all evidence that it's failing. It doesn't help that Osborne is one of the biggest slug faced cunts ever to hold public office either.

Yeah, stop austerity, use Keynesian which works short term but drives up debt meaning in real terms in the long term you're fucked. Let's do that!

the deficit needs to be reduced, but the the speed and aggressive nature of the austerity was always going to result in a double dip. gordon brown was right about that.

borrowing is also going up under the tories, ironically. sharp cuts in government spending are leading to economic contraction, which in turn is widening the deficit.

So theres no hope then Clee?....this is Gideon's gig and theres no plan b?

If the Libbers had any balls theyd scuttle the coalition before then end of the year just on that one issue.

I won't hold my breath on that one mind.