Politics

Christmas Tree

this is the BBC at its best. who knows why lukashenko agreed to it in the first place but i love the calm, consistent probing by rosenberg. no easy task when you're putting questions to a belligerent and deluded dictator 

On 19/11/2021 at 15:08, Renton said:

Stuff like this makes me wonder how many people must have shit on him and how open to blackmail he may be.

Apparently the current wife won’t, hence his “buyers remorse”. 

As to blackmail, surely that plays upon the victim wishing to avoid shame, so it simply won’t work on Johnson. 

It’s a difficult one because I generally think it’s a good proposition, but including drives or designated parking for each property on certain developments makes them unfeasible financially. If we are building a block of flats with 60 units, we are never going to have the space to fit 60 spaces outside.

Also for social housing like us, would we be expected to pick up standing charges via a landlords supply in times where properties are void etc?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, strawb said:

It’s a difficult one because I generally think it’s a good proposition, but including drives or designated parking for each property on certain developments makes them unfeasible financially. If we are building a block of flats with 60 units, we are never going to have the space to fit 60 spaces outside.

Also for social housing like us, would we be expected to pick up standing charges via a landlords supply in times where properties are void etc?

This seems like a sensible appraisal of the situation that you can pretty much guarantee nobody in the government has given any thought to whatsoever.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, strawb said:

When planning permission for social housing flats is granted  "1 space for one flat" hasn't been allowed for a good 20 years precisely to force people on to public transport. Not an expert tbh but that's the impression I get. Most modern new build private sector homes have at least one space?

Most domestic charging points are 7kw which is about 32A , which is less than a modern electric shower which comes in around 10kW,/ 40A. Most domestic supplies are rated at 100A. Individually at the moment thats not a problem  due to the relative scarcity of domestic chargers but if 75% of areas end up all charging motors overnight that's a big supply issue. There should be a cheaper nightime tariff like the old "economy 7" for storage heaters for consumers but that might not be the case and the cost of new infrastructure could well be passed on to the end users  

23 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

When planning permission for social housing flats is granted  "1 space for one flat" hasn't been allowed for a good 20 years precisely to force people on to public transport. Not an expert tbh but that's the impression I get. Most modern new build private sector homes have at least one space?

Most domestic charging points are 7kw which is about 32A , which is less than a modern electric shower which comes in around 10kW,/ 40A. Most domestic supplies are rated at 100A. Individually at the moment thats not a problem  due to the relative scarcity of domestic chargers but if 75% of areas end up all charging motors overnight that's a big supply issue. There should be a cheaper nightime tariff like the old "economy 7" for storage heaters for consumers but that might not be the case and the cost of new infrastructure could well be passed on to the end users  

On greenfield large scale house builders each property should have at least space for one house yeah.

In social housing we do a lot of land inclusive deals on brownfield sites where housing (especially social) is in high demand. Combine demand with the lower rents we can charge and you have to put more units on the same plot to pass viability studies for homes England grants. Meaning fewer spaces/drives for parking.

Not sure about the drive towards public transport but it might be a higher ups “vision” or something that that is a desire outcome buts it’s generally a practicality. 

The supply issue is what’s being discussed in the article, who is going to pay for the load on the grid? We already generally have to install sun stations on our larger builds but not all at the moment.

Frost, the unelected bureaucrat, has basically admitted that the purpose of Brexit is to facilitate deregulation and roll back the social contract. Enable Britannia Unchained to become a reality. Not that this is a surprise, but I think it may be the first time it's been explicitly admitted. 

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-moving-away-from-eu-rules-is-national-necessity-and-uk-must-reduce-taxes-says-lord-frost-12476019

Meanwhile, love this from Dorries:

Q: You said BBC broadcasting was like what you would see in a Soviet country. Have you ever visited a Soviet country?

Dorries says she will not comment on tweets she posted 12 years ago.

Nicolson says it was not 12 years ago. It was in the Daily Mail last month.

• Haha 2