Politics

Christmas Tree

The BBC seem to think the Tories suffering quite a lot of losses and Labour getting the biggest share of the vote for the first time in ages in a national election represents a less than great night for Labour because it wasn’t an absolute catastrophe for the Conservatives. I wonder what the spin would be of the roles were reversed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

The BBC seem to think the Tories suffering quite a lot of losses and Labour getting the biggest share of the vote for the first time in ages in a national election represents a less than great night for Labour because it wasn’t an absolute catastrophe for the Conservatives. I wonder what the spin would be of the roles were reversed. 

Aye I'm seeing the same analysis. They've lost councils they've ALWAYS controlled and they haven't made the strides in the councils that they wanted to, but it's "bad but not catastrophic". 

Just fuck off man. It's analysis like this that will keep that mop headed cunt in a job for longer. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye I'm seeing the same analysis. They've lost councils they've ALWAYS controlled and they haven't made the strides in the councils that they wanted to, but it's "bad but not catastrophic". 

Just fuck off man. It's analysis like this that will keep that mop headed cunt in a job for longer. 

Yeah. I listen to R5 in the morning, feel like throwing the radio against a wall. Not sure how much this really matters. The economy is utterly fucked, no way is it going to recover in time for the next GE. Everyone will feel the cost of living crisis. Brexit will beecome more tangible for those lucky enough to be able to afford holidays in Europe.  I don't think there is any way out for Johnson or the tories personally in the next 2 years. . 

Isn’t it the case though that Labour haven’t made many gains outside of London? I.e. in the places they really need to in order to win a GE. Obviously we’re still a couple of years away from that but the Tories have been at one of their lowest points in recent times and it looks like it’s the Lib Dems who are hoovering up their votes.

Yeah, but worth remembering as well that these were elections on a relatively high tide for Labour already. There's not a lot you take from the English elections imo. 

Edit: really low turn out too, swing voters don't turn out for locals. In summary, further analysis is fairly meaningless. 

Edited by Renton

7 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I think BJ might call a snap election if he thinks he can win.

Quick, someone show him the results.

FSD_Gt6XEAMzSXW?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I think BJ might call a snap election if he thinks he can win.

bring it on. he's toast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Isn’t it the case though that Labour haven’t made many gains outside of London? I.e. in the places they really need to in order to win a GE. Obviously we’re still a couple of years away from that but the Tories have been at one of their lowest points in recent times and it looks like it’s the Lib Dems who are hoovering up their votes.

Yep - If you take the Labour and Lib Dem positions, they've done really well. Electoral pact on an electoral reform policy, MUST be a no brainer.

57 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This CUNT btw. 

He’s a fucking pathetic excuse for a journalist 

• Like 1

Both of the local wards have gone Lib Dem after being Tory held for ever in one case and 15yrs in the other. 

There is a sense of satisfaction as I drove the little lad to nursery this morning, seeing the garden signs for the Tory candidate still up and imagining how unhappy the people who live there will be. 

4 hours ago, Alex said:

The BBC aren't spinning it...most political pundits are saying the same thing. Starmer still not cutting through in the north where he is seen as too London, metropolitan, unrelatable etc - unlike Etonian toff BoJo

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

The BBC aren't spinning it...most political pundits are saying the same thing. Starmer still not cutting through in the north where he is seen as too London, metropolitan, unrelatable etc - unlike Etonian toff BoJo

This isn’t a dig at you personally but it’s probably not a great idea if all major media outlets mostly all agree on something .  It’s pretty lazy tbh. There’s been more effort on this message board to see another side of things from Rents than from all the taking heeds on tv and radio put together this morning 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Sadly this is going to create enough bluster to negate the sense of feeling towards what went on in No.10. Both sides of the house will argue and counter-argue and the focus will move completely away from the wrong-doing that has taken place.

• Like 2

The consensus is Labour performed well but could have done better given how shambolic our government has been. The result isn’t the total rejection of Johnson it could and probably should have been. That isn’t spin 

The bigger story is NI. One reason the IRA gave up the armed struggle in favour of the ballot box was that the demographic trends were in its favour. More Catholic births  pointed to a Republican majority.