Politics

Christmas Tree

I still think she's a true believer. I'm going to stress that this doesn't mean she'll win, it just means she's a thatcherite through and through.

The most dangerous type of psychopath we could have, tbh.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I still think she's a true believer. I'm going to stress that this doesn't mean she'll win, it just means she's a thatcherite through and through.

No she's not. She has zero charisma and won't last a year. Dangerous politicians are always charismatic (to some at least). Most the damage she inflicts can be quickly reversed if Starmer has the will. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

No she's not. She has zero charisma and won't last a year. Dangerous politicians are always charismatic (to some at least). Most the damage she inflicts can be quickly reversed if Starmer has the will. 

I was thinking more for the next two years where we're stuck with her. Plenty of damage that can be done, lives that could be lost, in that period. She's trying to establish herself as a re-run of the Iron Lady which means she'll lean into being tough and cold.

I do think this is scorched earth now btw, so I think we will see the purest form of Toryism in the next two years than at any point in the preceding 10.

Also what was that about a trade deal with the US locking us out of the EU? That's a very real worry.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was thinking more for the next two years where we're stuck with her. Plenty of damage that can be done, lives that could be lost, in that period. She's trying to establish herself as a re-run of the Iron Lady which means she'll lean into being tough and cold.

I do think this is scorched earth now btw, so I think we will see the purest form of Toryism in the next two years than at any point in the preceding 10.

Also what was that about a trade deal with the US locking us out of the EU? That's a very real worry.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what she can get through Parliament since her policies are the death knell for many MPs. Ian Dunt thinks there will be ANOTHER leadership challenge before the next GE which surely will inflict even more damage on this rotten ridiculous party.

There will be no trade deal with the US, Truss has admitted this. If there was it would mean different (lower) food standards which would be incompatible with the SM and preclude any future membership. Just as well its not happening, although I think similar issues may apply to the Autralian and NZ deals. I would imagine we would need to withdraw from these if we ever want to rejoin. 

46 minutes ago, Renton said:

By a few thousand senile pensioners tbf. 

There were people on here who said she was the lesser of two evils on account she was less likely to be re-electable come the General Election. But she has 2 years to do even more serious damage. 

I thought she was going to be like Johnson but without the charisma. I now think her policies are worse than his.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

There were people on here who said she was the lesser of two evils on account she was less likely to be re-electable come the General Election. But she has 2 years to do even more serious damage. 

I thought she was going to be like Johnson but without the charisma. I now think her policies are worse than his.

Her policies are worse but will she even last 2 years? I can also see a few diplomatic disasters ahead. 

I see her latest flagship policy is to reduce stamp duty, again. The age old tory con of propping up house prices. 

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I don’t think she believes in anything

Is there any argument to be made for trickledown economics? I've a fairly basic understanding of people and even less on money, but one thing I'm clear on; just because Tarquin Trustfund gets a £1m bonus at the end of the year, doesn't mean he'll put even half of that back into the UK economy, let alone his local one. More likely he'll dump it somewhere offshore to avoid tax, or into a trust fund for little Arabella and Gregory. Rich people are rich because they don't spend, not because they do... right?

Round here people have a nice house, or a nice car, maybe they spend £4k a term on private education for their kids, but they'll use any extra cash to pay down their mortgage, save for their early retirement, or spend it on a nice holiday (benefiting someone else's economy). 

Surely this pandering to the bankers is to encourage them to stay in the UK after Brexit made us less appealing? 

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Her policies are worse but will she even last 2 years? I can also see a few diplomatic disasters ahead. 

I see her latest flagship policy is to reduce stamp duty, again. The age old tory con of propping up house prices. 

My concern is why wouldn't she last 2 years? I very much doubt she'll call an early GE and I think after the utter disaster that was Johnson, they party will come together behind whoever is running the ship. No one inside their parliamentary party will have issue with what she is doing so on what grounds would you expect them to propose a no confidence motion?

1 minute ago, Craig said:

My concern is why wouldn't she last 2 years? I very much doubt she'll call an early GE and I think after the utter disaster that was Johnson, they party will come together behind whoever is running the ship. No one inside their parliamentary party will have issue with what she is doing so on what grounds would you expect them to propose a no confidence motion?

Because she is already perceived as a loser unable to win a GE, and that is all most tory MPs care about, certsainly the 2019 intake. Rumour has it there were already a dozen letters sent to Brady the day she was appointed. The tory party can't come together, they are irreconcilably broken. The question of how much damage the next 2 years can do to us is valid though. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Im worried that Starmer isn't going to swing enough votes.

We need Randy Nandy in. A hot bulldog.

My concern is he will get in, but will not provide the complete change in the constitution the country desperately needs. A slow rather than a quick death. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Because she is already perceived as a loser unable to win a GE, and that is all most tory MPs care about, certsainly the 2019 intake. Rumour has it there were already a dozen letters sent to Brady the day she was appointed. The tory party can't come together, they are irreconcilably broken. The question of how much damage the next 2 years can do to us is valid though. 

Never underestimate the idiocy of the general public. Im not even convinced they wouldn't get back in tomorrow if a GE was called.

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Never underestimate the idiocy of the general public. Im not even convinced they wouldn't get back in tomorrow if a GE was called.

I'm really not sure why you think this. I suspect it might have something to do with supporting NUFC. 

A pessimist is never disappointed Rents.

I live in the South where the Tories are rife. Some basic, catchy PR like "Lets finish the job" and splatter that all over the Sun/Mail with Starmer spilling a bit of brown sauce while eating a sausage sandwich and its game on.

• Like 1