Politics

Christmas Tree

It's not like our tone towards Tory scum here is significantly different. It's just that we know we're right. ;)

But seriously - it's shite that these are the rules of the game now and maybe it's something that can still be changed, but in the meantime Labour need to have the self-awareness to elect a leader with far less in the way of easily exploitable baggage. 

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

It's not like our tone towards Tory scum here is significantly different. It's just that we know we're right. ;)

But seriously - it's shite that these are the rules of the game now and maybe it's something that can still be changed, but in the meantime Labour need to have the self-awareness to elect a leader with far less in the way of easily exploitable baggage. 

This is the main reason why I don't think Corbyn ever wanted to be PM, the man isn't stupid. I've always felt he's kept just enough shit around him to make sure he was unelectable, all the while appearing to want the job on the face of it. I mean come on, no-one in their right mind would keep Dianne Abbott at the forefront of the party if they wanted to win an election. That's one example, there's a lot more but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

Globalism vs anti-globalism. The Tories have chosen their side and actually I think its clear that they've grasped the direction of travel here. We need to be globalist but with a positive vision for the future that pulls people with it.

The Labour party stands no chance of realising that however.

The working classes, I suspect, are lost to us.

16 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Well idk man, we tend to always have a progressive majority in this country that is suppressed by FPTP. Maybe Australia is just full of right wingers.

I think it is probably a similar demographic, but let's see if PR works for you, if you get it.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

Globalism vs anti-globalism. The Tories have chosen their side and actually I think its clear that they've grasped the direction of travel here. We need to be globalist but with a positive vision for the future that pulls people with it.

I am pretty sure that Corbyn is an anti-globalist, but didn't want to say so, as with Brexit.  From outside looking in, that was what made him unelectable.  

Whether he wanted to be elected is another matter, but no politician will willingly walk away from the kudos (and possibly the pay packet) which goes with being PM or leader of the opposition.  Perhaps the stupidity came from those who blindly supported him when they should have pulled the plug.  

Anyway, I am 59 and live in Australia, so what do I know :) 

PS Even at that great age, I would not have voted for Brexit

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

This is the main reason why I don't think Corbyn ever wanted to be PM, the man isn't stupid. I've always felt he's kept just enough shit around him to make sure he was unelectable, all the while appearing to want the job on the face of it. I mean come on, no-one in their right mind would keep Dianne Abbott at the forefront of the party if they wanted to win an election. That's one example, there's a lot more but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

He kept his allies close. That’s all. Considering the job he was up for, relatively speaking, he’s at whale spunk levels of thickness 

Edited by Alex

8 hours ago, Rayvin said:

It’s old people and people who don’t work that are lost 

Blair making a lot of sense in his speech this morning. He'll be ignored though. I do wonder if this leadership bid just results in an extension of Corbyn's bollocks, whether he doesn't have a plan to set up an alternative party. 

7 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

I am pretty sure that Corbyn is an anti-globalist, but didn't want to say so, as with Brexit.  From outside looking in, that was what made him unelectable.  

Whether he wanted to be elected is another matter, but no politician will willingly walk away from the kudos (and possibly the pay packet) which goes with being PM or leader of the opposition.  Perhaps the stupidity came from those who blindly supported him when they should have pulled the plug.  

Anyway, I am 59 and live in Australia, so what do I know :) 

PS Even at that great age, I would not have voted for Brexit

He is indeed, it's the hard left and right who are rejecting it. Thus it isn't a left vs right thing anymore.

The thing about Facebook is that it isn't a neutral, blank platform. It's a capitalist business. Labour did well on social media in 2017 when left wing blog posts and 'underground' media was being widely shared. But those algorithms are not set in stone. They can be bought and paid for, and left wing sentiment made to bounce around people who already supported it. Many blog writers who were getting hundreds of thousands of post and video views/shares in 2017 report they are getting a fraction of that now - while corporate 'sponsored' posts are popping up for everyone.

My Facebook feed was full of thinly disguised Tory propaganda in the week before the election under the guise of 'Best for Britain', 'The Education Group' etc.

It's a big club and we ain't in it.

Edited by rob032
Typo

What's the first thing a disaffected new Tory voter in Stoke going to say to Starmer or Cooper? They're likely not going to trust them over anything because of the perception that the likes of them tried to stop Brexit. 

BREAKING: Thornberrys standing. The woman who didnt understand why someone would put a St George's flag in their window. Which will be thrown back at her from now till polling day 🙄

I'm genuinely unsure we can repair this faultline between the northern working classes and the urbanite educated.

And I see no Labour leader capable of speaking to the former from the people considering running.

Which makes me think we may as well just go for the smartest person in the room.

Edited by Rayvin