Politics

Christmas Tree

Just now, Rayvin said:

Ok, that's convincing actually. Terrifying, but convincing. Fair enough.

Oh, it’s fucking ferrying alright. I actually try not to think about it too much, mate. It’s too depressing 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Interest rates set to hit 5% next year now, with the BoE pulling in the opposite direction to the treasury. Who's mortgage is on a variable or on a fixed up for renew soon? Half of mine is on a tracker which is a a bit of the kick in the balls. The reduction in stamp duty will be more than countercted by affordability criteria of the new rates I think. 

Took out a 5 year fix last summer. Looks like rates will still be around 3% when it comes up for renewal. 

We've been talking about downsizing next time the mortgage comes up, maybe trying to move somewhere a bit more rural. Even more so with how things are currently going. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Interest rates set to hit 5% next year now, with the BoE pulling in the opposite direction to the treasury. Who's mortgage is on a variable or on a fixed up for renew soon? Half of mine is on a tracker which is a a bit of the kick in the balls. The reduction in stamp duty will be more than countercted by affordability criteria of the new rates I think. 

Our house failed to sell this summer, it went on just before Easter. We had two buyers pull out, interest rates during this period went up three times and they’ve just gone up again. We’d found a bit of a dream home to move to but had to pull out of that ourselves. We were intending putting it on the market again in the Spring and the stamp duty cut would’ve helped. But as you say it’s fairly irrelevant when rates will probably at least stay at a 30 peak till then & go up perhaps three times again next year?…our fixed deal finishes  at the end of this month and we’ve just fixed for 5 years at £250 a month more than we were on….

• Like 2

I was planning to buy my first house around the turn of the year - working 6 days a week at the moment to add that bit extra that I needed. The stamp duty component will do nothing for me, but the interest rate hike is going to make it all the more difficult. It's hard to stay motivated that there's a better life worth working for at times, frankly.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was planning to buy my first house around the turn of the year - working 6 days a week at the moment to add that bit extra that I needed. The stamp duty component will do nothing for me, but the interest rate hike is going to make it all the more difficult. It's hard to stay motivated that there's a better life worth working for at times, frankly.

You must be gutted mate. Are you still in D & G?  

On 08/09/2022 at 12:03, scoobos said:

It boils my piss to see corporation tax fall

Corporation tax rates

Financial year 2020-21 Financial year 2021-22 Financial year 2022-23 Financial year 2023-24
Main rate 19% 19% 19% 25%
Small profits rate N/A N/A N/A 19%
Lower threshold N/A N/A N/A £50,000
Upper threshold N/A N/A N/A £250,000

A cut of 2% to 19% over 2010 and the 28% higher rate isn't even there anymore. 2023-24 was promised by Sunak - but lets see how long that lasts - they'll fucking reduce it again.

Fuck me, they cancelled the raise outright and cancelled the NHS Health and Social Care Levy..  I'm in a kind of shock despite expecting it to happen - but not to cancel the whole fucking raise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Honestly, I do feel for you situation, you have been shafted by this government on every level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

You must be gutted mate. Are you still in D & G?  

I am - was/hopefully still am going to move back to Newcastle. It's been a weird few years and I am really ready to go back home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Just when you think these bastards can’t get any worse. This is going to absolutely shaft all but a privileged few.

I just cannot understand the logic for a party whose policies are governed purely by doing what they think will keep them in power.

Yeah, we've talked about this. You're making an assumption of competence here, probably misplaced. 

These lot are fucking unreal. I'm going with Rayvin's line that they're doing it to basically fuck up the situation so badly that Labour haven't a cat in hell's chance of rectifying it within one term. What's depressing is people swallow this shit as well. 

It's fucking insane! 

Meanwhile the prospect of me EVER being able to get back on the property ladder diminishes exponentially with every day these cunts remain in power. :sad:

12 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Just when you think these bastards can’t get any worse. This is going to absolutely shaft all but a privileged few.

I just cannot understand the logic for a party whose policies are governed purely by doing what they think will keep them in power.

Thing is the republicans and to a lesser extent the Democrats as well get away with a lot of shit as they sell this American dream where if you work hard enough, you too can be rich. 

I think the tories have and are trying to sell this same shit over here - a lot of people who have no business even thinking of voting for them believe this "aspirational" shit where the 150k job is just around the corner. 

You know they'll argue that if Labour promise to raise any taxes at all that this means they're against hard work and sadly this will probably be enough to stop Starmer from making any such promises as there are idiots out there who'll accept the tory argument. 

Edited by NJS
  • Like 3