Politics

Christmas Tree

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Sorry, she did show up, she just fled.

Cooper is so much better than Starmer btw.

She's better, but quite similar in some ways. Forensic. This PMQ and UQ stuff from the tories is unbearable. 

That’s a good start :lol: like Renton was saying Braverman’s a fucking froot loop ideologue. She seems to think she’s on some sort of mission for whatever demon is possessing her pea brain. She will absolutely kick off at some point unless she’s allowed to start shovelling baby immigrants into the channel. She  hates her own ethnic group 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fucking hell, I didn't notice that 'Plebgate' Mitchell has wormed his way back to the cabinet table as well as Minister for Development. 

Mind you, he's got the requisite credentials for being in a cabinet post - sued for libel by the police officer he called a pleb.

What a bunch of horrible cunts.

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I had to undo the buttons on his flies in the toilet of another boozer last summer because he was too pissed to do it himself and I wasn’t going to see him literally piss himself in public… I did re count this episode on this esteemed forum at the time :cuppa:

In fairness, could you undo your fly with hands and arms like his?

Ff8j4H9XEAIJ9E_?format=jpg&name=medium

• Haha 6

Double digit cuts on every department off the back of 12 years of cuts. Are they fucking serious.

Tax corporations, you fucks. Raise the money that way and then invest it back into the economy, boosting public sector spending, raising growth, and then tax everyone (in a proportionally fair way) to a higher level to pay off the debt. That way we're leaving our children with an economy that has some chance of delivering a better life to them whilst at the same time paying off national debt over the long term - rather than failing to pay off national debt through austerity since it leaves us completely defenceless against things like Covid and externalities we can't control, and on top of that means our children are inheriting a smoking ruin rather than a nation.

In other words, do what Truss was going to do but a) funded through taxes on (corporations) those who can afford it and b) give the proceeds of that to the people of this country so that WE can spend and WE can bolster growth, not your fucking mates who will just offshore the lot of it anyway.

Oh and one other thing, small point really but every little helps and I know how keen you are to "give back to the country that gave you so much" - REJOIN THE FUCKING EU.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Double figures cuts across all departments and Labour planning to force a vote to get them all on the record as voting for them. 

And there we have our 'difficult decisions to come'. 

Can we have a windfall tax on the energy giants to counter these please? Or is that too much to ask.

Rishi Sunak's honeymoon lasted a day. For about 24 hours, he was able to present himself as a responsible Conservative leader, who would put national stability and good sense above the lunatic belligerence his party has recently exhibited.

And then it all fell apart. It did so with one name: Suella Braverman. She is a walking refutation of the proposition that Sunak is a sensible leader. If she is in his Cabinet, then he cannot be what he claims to be. He will not offer stability, or grown-up politics, or evidence-based policy making. He will offer us more of the dimwitted cynicism which has brought this country to the edge of collapse.

The Braverman issue is not ultimately about her politics, which happen to be abysmal. It is about her competence. She has no business being anywhere near executive power. None of us should be aware of her name. The fact we are points to a systematic failure in our culture: one in which people succeed despite a complete lack of ability.

It was obscene enough when she was made attorney general. This role is unsung but pivotally important. The attorney general is effectively the Government’s lawyer, offering legal advice to No 10 and, in an ideal world, warning it against that which might be unlawful.

One of her first actions was to defend Boris Johnson’s internal markets bill, which proudly broke international law. It was a degradation in Britain’s adherence to the rule of law, the basic cornerstone of a free society.

Her presence corroded the legal structure in subtle and nefarious ways. Not so long ago, Whitehall lawyers could appeal to the attorney general if they were being asked to do something illegal by their political masters. This would apply to departmental lawyers working in government ministries and the staff who write legislation in the Office of Parliamentary Counsel.

Several of them have told me that they lost the confidence of raising the legal alarm once Braverman took the post. And that was for good reason. They understood the central message of her appointment: that the Government was no longer interested in the rule of law. There would be no defence for those who still insisted on abiding by it.

You can see that sentiment quite clearly in the events which forced her to resign as home secretary a week ago. She has since tried to dress it up as a technicality or a point of principle. But detailed assessments of what happened tell a different story.

According to weekend reports in the Sunday Times, Braverman in fact committed two breaches of the ministerial code – emailing Cabinet papers from her ministerial account to her private Gmail account and then on to John Hayes, a right-wing backbencher and political ally. Then, with typical ineptitude, she copied in someone who she thought was Hayes’s wife but was in fact an assistant to the Brigg and Goole MP Andrew Percy. It went from him, to the chief whip, to the Cabinet secretary, to the prime minister. She was busted. She had to resign.

On what basis has Sunak now satisfied himself about the security implication of reappointing her? Has there been an investigation into any other possible breaches? Do we know if any other confidential documents have been sent from her personal email? Do we know of how severe those security breaches are likely to have been? We have no idea. And yet Sunak gave her the job anyway.

Even on the basis of her own resignation letter, which admittedly read as if it was written by a child, her return to the Home Office position makes no sense. “The business of government relies upon people accepting responsibility for their mistakes,” she wrote. “Pretending we haven’t made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can’t see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right, is not serious politics.”

This was all obviously a not-so-subtle attack on Truss. But now what are we to make of it? That “serious politics” involves losing your job for a grand total of six days? Even on her own terms, in her own words, her reappointment is ludicrous.

And that speaks to the greatest problem involved with Braverman. She is simply not intellectually competent to hold a position of authority. You can see it in her actions and in her language. “It’s the Labour Party, it’s the Lib Dems, it’s the coalition of chaos,” she said recently in the Commons Chamber, degrading the stature of the place with every word coming from her mouth, “it’s the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati, dare I say, the anti-growth coalition.”

What kind of a person would utter these words? We have to be honest. Unless we are, we cannot fix what is happening in this country – the sense that it is de-evolving into a condition of moral and mental primordialism. The answer is: an imbecile. Only an imbecile would say them. Only an imbecile would state them with pride in the heart of British democracy.

And that’s the imbecile who Sunak made Home Secretary. Someone without the cognitive ability to function even at a very rudimentary professional level. Someone who sent out confidential government documents from a personal email account. Someone with such an absence of basic moral values that the whole structure of constitutional legality dissolved from under her.

“This government will have integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level,” the new Prime Minister said outside No 10 yesterday. “I know the high office I have accepted and I hope to live up to its demands.”

Even those of us who do not share his politics hoped he would live up to that. Not for his sake, or his party’s, but for the country. And yet the pledge lasted all of a few hours. Later on, bunkered away in No 10, he appointed Braverman Home Secretary. And any claim he could have made to seriousness or respectability died with that decision.

Dunt on Braverman. 👏

It feels almost inevitable that these references to other security breaches, made by Cooper and by Dunt in this article, will now come to light. 

I'd imagine the likes of Crerar will be on the case. This doesn't feel like it's about to go away. 

• Like 5

Just now, Toonpack said:

Easy, just allow more plebs to die

I genuinely believe that's the answer to this question presently. I can't really see how it could be anything else unless they're intending to find some large trading bloc to share in the negotiating power of, and use the wider common challenge faced by all the nations within it to tackle the issue from a position of collective strength in terms of negotiating with pharmaceutical giants and so on. That sounds like it would be a pretty useful thing to do, wonder where we could find a trading bloc like that...

But yes, clearly the plan is simply that people will die. People that didn't have to die, will die. That's Sunak's gift to the country.

• Like 1

It's absolutely not going to go away. 

Just watch it become a 'useful distraction' whilst they push through their appalling public sector cuts though.

• Like 1

If you put a completely thick Tim nice but dim bellend with plainly awful views into one of the most important roles in the govt, you'll reap what you sow. This won't be the last time the No 10 spokesperson has to walk back comments from the div Cleverley. 

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I genuinely doubt he realises how much normal people rely on public services. He lives a life entirely removed from normality. It'll end up costing him his job sooner or later. 

It will be way too late for many.

Am going to mute political commentary on twitter now, (will keep a neb in here) but these fuckers aren't going away for next 2 years, being in a constant rage will do me in before that at this rate, have enough stress/anxiety in my life without spending time working out how I'd like these cunts to die.

• Like 4