Politics

Christmas Tree

16 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with what he says there. Obviously Putin is 100% in the wrong, but it serves the US pretty well to have Russia in a permanent war in Europe

It doesn’t like the US aid to Ukraine is whacking up their tax and cost of living as well. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

It doesn’t like the US aid to Ukraine is whacking up their tax and cost of living as well. 

I suspect he means the war machine as opposed to the general public 

2 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with what he says there. Obviously Putin is 100% in the wrong, but it serves the US pretty well to have Russia in a permanent war in Europe

It’s a pretty naive way of looking at it. I.e. negotiating with Putin

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s a pretty naive way of looking at it. I.e. negotiating with Putin

Oh I'm no fan of Corbyn, but I do think he is right that there seems very little political will to find an end to the war. The only way this ends is with a negotiated settlement at some point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Oh I'm no fan of Corbyn, but I do think he is right that there seems very little political will to find an end to the war. The only way this ends is with a negotiated settlement at some point.

So Ukraine should just suck it up and cede territory to Russia 

It’s a pretty cold and callous way of looking at it, but realistic too imo: if we can’t afford to give public sector workers more, even with such a high tax burden - how can we afford to send military aid to Ukraine indefinitely? We’re already well into the £billions 

Edited by Alex

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

It is exactly what you’re saying, Russia won’t negotiate a loss. This ends with Putin dead or gone?

So you think the only way this ends is Ukraine defeating Russia and deposing or killing Putin. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that doesn't seem a likely outcome.

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

So you think the only way this ends is Ukraine defeating Russia and deposing or killing Putin. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that doesn't seem a likely outcome.

Well the only other way is for Ukraine to cede territory.

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I'd prefer that to WW3 starting by quite some distance.

It's fanciful to think Ukraine can win a war with Russia.

Are we including Crimea as part of Ukraine aswell, nobody seemed that exercised when Russia annexed that.

If we dont end up in a west vs russia war then at some point there will be a negotiated settlement. I would prefer it to be as sooner rather than later and with as little death as possible

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

It's fanciful to think Ukraine can win a war with Russia.

Are we including Crimea as part of Ukraine aswell, nobody seemed that exercised when Russia annexed that.

If we dont end up in a west vs russia war then at some point there will be a negotiated settlement. I would prefer it to be as sooner rather than later and with as little death as possible

So you are in fact saying Ukraine should suck it up and cede territory to Russia.

26 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I think I am being very plain in what I am saying.

Do you actually believe that Ukraine can beat Russia and end Putin? I don't think that's even a remote possibility

So again should Ukraine cede territory to Russia? It’s a simple question.

Jesus Christ. It's like talking to Leazes. If it means peace yes. Do I think Ukraine should surrender and be under total Russian control, no.

There will have to be a diplomatic solution at some point. I would want to get there as quickly as possible

Any chance of you answering with an alternative outcome, and if its the end of Putin as stated above how on earth would you see that happening

Cue being called a Putin apologist no doubt

2 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

So Ukraine should just suck it up and cede territory to Russia 

In an ideal scenario, no. But they might have to

53 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Jesus Christ. It's like talking to Leazes. If it means peace yes. Do I think Ukraine should surrender and be under total Russian control, no.

There will have to be a diplomatic solution at some point. I would want to get there as quickly as possible

Any chance of you answering with an alternative outcome, and if its the end of Putin as stated above how on earth would you see that happening

Cue being called a Putin apologist no doubt

That’s fine why did you deny it? I think this will go on for another year until Russia is fucked. I have no idea how it could end but Corbyn is a definite pro Putin shitty arse licker.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

That’s fine why did you deny it?

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:
1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

How is that denying it. Just going for meaningless gotchas isn't really adding much, but it seems your preference is this stalemate to carry on indefinitely and hope something turns up. That's not what I want but each to their own. 

I don't see Russia being fucked in another year, they seem to have the tacit support of India and Iran, and China aren't exactly condemning them out of hand. Africa is pretty much neutral so this is very much just the West vs Russia, and as I've said on many occasions I'm pretty sure the US is very happy for permanent war to keep a rumbling

3 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Yes that's obviously exactly what I'm saying ffs

How do you see this ending?

So you’re saying when I said “so Ukraine should suck it up and cede territory” and you replied the above then that wasn’t denying it. I’m not scoring points I just get annoyed when people have a go by talking shite. The west can’t afford to let Russia get anything out of this because if they do they’ll do it again in 5-10 years.