Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

At my old job I had to do two days a week working in Boro and the only highlight of the day was walking to M&S to get something for lunch. So of course they closed it down a few months in.

Sign of the times. Shite for the people who work there who would surely have thought they were in a pretty secure retail gig.

Think they're opening one up in Washington or expanding it so no compulsory job losses. The High street is slowly dying like. I can't see John Lewis surviving much longer in Newcastle unless it actually trys to offer something better than its competitors which it once did. 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Not compulsory but the extra time/cost/public transport hell of getting to Washington will likely make it unviable for a lot of people.

True. Washington will be Sunderland's official M&S but in reality it's probably as close to Newcastle. 

Anyway, we used to have an M&S in Whitley Bay and I don't recall this hysteria when that closed down just cos you couldn't get your Percy Pigs. 

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Not compulsory but the extra time/cost/public transport hell of getting to Washington will likely make it unviable for a lot of people.

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

The High street is slowly dying like.

M&S are closing in central Peterborough and pointing people at the branch they've got on a retail park on the ring road instead. Same issue - fine if you're mobile, but not much use if you're not, and meanwhile the high street withers. I don't know what you do about that in the face of internet shopping and a general economic downturn though.

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

M&S are closing in central Peterborough and pointing people at the branch they've got on a retail park on the ring road instead. Same issue - fine if you're mobile, but not much use if you're not, and meanwhile the high street withers. I don't know what you do about that in the face of internet shopping and a general economic downturn though.

It's a question of letting the markets decide or proactive interference from goverbment and local government, and we know what happens in this country. For the Newcastle conurbation, I've long felt we would benefit from a proper integrated public transport system into the city, concentrate all retail there to achieve critical mass, and just demolish the metro centre. But at the minute transport is a shit show and the driving/parking in the city is a fucking nightmare. 

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Amazon will be the ONLY place left to buy anything soon.

Need competition. Who's in for kick starting a competitor company, let's call it Danube. Sure this will be a piece of piss. 

25 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I see people on my bus on a morning who work at Sainsburys in Harrogate (They get off at my stop).  I live in North Leeds and they're on the bus before.  Travelling from Leeds Centre probably to Harrogate to work in Sainsburys.  

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

How bad does this look man? How do they think they're going to explain this on the next few morning news rounds?

Well they wont have to explain it, as it wont be on the news.  T'old Rishi will sort that.

• Like 2

Also Sunak did a speech last night calling for an end to "passive tolerance of words and actions that go against what we stand for".

Still can't actually bring himself to articulate what was wrong about what Lee Anderson said though. Or say a single negative thing about Braver man's rampant intolerance.

The amount we put up with from our govt in this country is nobody's business.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

How bad does this look man? How do they think they're going to explain this on the next few morning news rounds?

I mean, Labour have to go all in on this. How the fuck do the tories justify this? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Starmer wont though

Why do you say that? What's he not picked up on recently? Went full on guns blazing for Truss yesterday. The problem he has is there are almost too many targets to shoot at. Also, the shear volume lies and hypocrisy coming from Sunak, backed by his client media, makes it hard. Post-truth sociuety and all that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

shear

The headline writers during Shearer's time at the club did such a number in you that you can't even remember the proper spelling of sheer. Fantastic.

23 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Starmer wont though

I'm pretty certain he will. It's low hanging fruit to go after them for really - though the way the tories are going the fruit is actively falling from the trees, at a rapid pace - so Starmer will need a fucking hard hat.

57 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Also Sunak did a speech last night calling for an end to "passive tolerance of words and actions that go against what we stand for".

Still can't actually bring himself to articulate what was wrong about what Lee Anderson said though. Or say a single negative thing about Braver man's rampant intolerance.

The amount we put up with from our govt in this country is nobody's business.

He's been quite clear. It was wrong.

4 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Innocent until proven?

What other public sector job would you not be suspended for after allegations of violent and/or sexual misconduct? MPS should uphold the highest standards, we know this is laughable of course. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Renton said:

What other public sector job would you not be suspended for after allegations of violent and/or sexual misconduct? MPS should uphold the highest standards, we know this is laughable of course. 

Yes of course but that’s how they’ll defend it and they’ll give examples. They won’t say they’re really against it because it’s their MPs who get the most allegations.

• Like 2

It should at least be debated. Delaying the debate looks like they're hiding from the issue.

And yeah, I think it's reasonable to suspend someone accused of rape or assault from Parliament pending the legal process running its course.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It should at least be debated. Delaying the debate looks like they're hiding from the issue.

And yeah, I think it's reasonable to suspend someone accused of rape or assault from Parliament pending the legal process running its course.

It's not particularly controversial tbh. Most jobs would suspend you on full pay if you were being investigated for a sexual crime. Not sure why MPs would expect to continue working with members of the public with that hanging over them 

• Like 2