Politics

Christmas Tree

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

They also edited out the booing Laura K got from Labour supporters at their manifesto launch. No one was complaining then.

Hardly the same like 

29 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is a terrifying prospect. Can anyone, hand on heart, see anything other than a conservative win at this point? Five fucking years of Johnson man, unbelievable.

Then Corbyn actually will resign, when it doesn’t matter any more 

The only hope Labour have is a massive gaffe or Tories announcing a hugely unpopular policy and given how light on detail their manifesto is and their avoidance of scrutiny then I don’t think the latter is going to happen.

3 hours ago, ewerk said:

They also edited out the booing Laura K got from Labour supporters at their manifesto launch. No one was complaining then.

Each case depends on the individual video editor, of course, may have their own political agenda. 

The idea that there is an institutional pro-Tory bias at the BBC and senior editors have instructed staff to do this sort of thing is, of course, nonsense. It would have leaked if there was anything in it.

36 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Each case depends on the individual video editor, of course, may have their own political agenda. 

The idea that there is an institutional pro-Tory bias at the BBC and senior editors have instructed staff to do this sort of thing is, of course, nonsense. It would have leaked if there was anything in it.

Just like how Savile's protectorate leaked. 

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

They'll accept anything if it's done slowly enough. There's no hope anymore man.

I suggest you use the transition period to up sticks.

Not really an option when you have a family with 2 young kids, have just got a mortgage on a new house, don't speak a foreign language, and you work in a niche sector in which England is a world leader. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Not really an option when you have a family with 2 young kids, have just got a mortgage on a new house, don't speak a foreign language, and you work in a niche sector in which England is a world leader. 

Good luck then. I hope it's not as bad as I fear it will be.

In all seriousness Rayvin, what do you expect? I would expect a move over to the US model, which I vehemently object to, but I doubt it would be quite as full on as that. There will be some free at the point of care health service, but it will be downgraded. Workers rights will be eroded, but not to US levels in my working life time. Food standards will be fine if you can afford them. Etc.

What are your plans? Scotland? The EU? Far east? 

Edited by Renton

1 hour ago, Renton said:

In all seriousness Rayvin, what do you expect? I would expect a move over to the US model, which I vehemently object to, but I doubt it would be quite as full on as that. There will be some free at the point of care health service, but it will be downgraded. Workers rights will be eroded, but not to US levels in my working life time. Food standards will be fine if you can afford them. Etc.

What are your plans? Scotland? The EU? Far east? 

I'm moving to Scotland in the next few weeks and will then look to Northern Europe. I can take my work with me as things stand and a couple of other friends of mine are making similar moves. I'm just done with this country now. Good riddance to it.

As for my expectations, what concerns me is that the Tories have aligned themselves with the UKIP culture warriors to win this election, so they will take on a number of their extreme social ideals. I expect slow degrading of services with claims that the only resolution to increasing failures of the NHS and other key public services is to privatise them. Slowly enough that people don't notice their lives getting more and more shit. In mindset, people will double down on their stupidity over Brexit and the Tories, claiming it's never been better and throwing up any trivial success story as a justification. These people will readily buy into that narrative next time out because it clears their consciences. I don't see any success for Labour in the coming years, especially because this election defeat will break apart the broad church. 

I think yes, alignment with the US (a dying super power increasingly concerned with its own decline instead of a culturally vibrant and resurgent Europe) but with a view to being more like Singapore. There are even some advantages to that on the surface level, but inequality will become ever more rampant and poverty will only continue to increase, sucking in more and more of the lower middle classes. The country will be unrecognizable from the one New Labour left behind by the end of those 5 years. The Tories feel emboldened even to stop hiding their cynicism and hatred of the poor.

I think Scotland will force a referendum and will go. Northern Ireland as well. Tories will welcome it to continue their project.

They've won the whole thing because they're prepared to do anything to win it. To say anything. To harm anyone. 

I'm just not spending the rest of my life in a country so pathetic that it keeps returning this political party to power. I have no respect for the UK now.

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm at the "I'll be fine under a Tory government, so fuck all of these dopes that want to vote for their lives to be worse" stage. I'll be here when they come to their senses. 

I'm with this, but not out of choice. But financially, there's every chance I will be better off under a Tory government anyway. I'm a kept man tbh. 

I always planned to retire in the lake district. I may just switch to Scotland instead, I will have Scottish nationality. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I'm with this, but not out of choice. But financially, there's every chance I will be better off under a Tory government anyway. I'm a kept man tbh. 

I always planned to retire in the lake district. I may just switch to Scotland instead, I will have Scottish nationality. 

The Lakes is too busy anyway. Imagine what it'll be like when we hit retirement age. I'd retire to the middle of nowhere in Scotland though. Bombing about my acreage in a mobility scooter. 

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

The Lakes is too busy anyway. Imagine what it'll be like when we hit retirement age. I'd retire to the middle of nowhere in Scotland though. Bombing about my acreage in a mobility scooter. 

I'm gonna be a Scottish vineyard owner by then. With @Rayvin, down on his uppers, as my butler. 

• Haha 1

I wouldn't move to Ireland as I don't intend on moving house ever again but would be tempted to get an Irish passport if it helps in any way although a problem would be Mrs HMHM not being able to get one so probably would be a waste of time. 

For convoluted reasons I can't get a Swedish passport despite my mam being from there originally, but I'm hoping by the time I retire we'll be such a basket case as a country that they'll show mercy and let me have a wooden shack by a remote lake somewhere.

If retirement still exists by then. :dunno: 

33 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I wouldn't move to Ireland as I don't intend on moving house ever again but would be tempted to get an Irish passport if it helps in any way although a problem would be Mrs HMHM not being able to get one so probably would be a waste of time. 

Fucking plastic paddy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4