Only in America

The Fish

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Not every school has metal detectors, you big fanny.

Gun deaths are high in the US, that's no shock. But your chances of being a victim are greatly affected by your race, gender and socio-economic status. As a middle-class white male you're probably in one of the lowest risk categories. Your point was that it would affect your day to day life and that isn't the case.

How do you know I'm middle class and male? I'm fucking black! [\Baggio].

The point is, it is a factor that puts me off living there. I don't want to live in a society with that level of gun culture or expose my kids to it. Hardly makes me an idiot, or Gloom's wife for that matter.

BTW, I know 3 people who have been robbed at gunpoint in the States, including my wife. They were white. They weren't physically hurt so won't be recorded in the statistics, but fucking hell man, don't pretend it's not an issue. 

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Not every school has metal detectors, you big fanny.

Gun deaths are high in the US, that's no shock. But your chances of being a victim are greatly affected by your race, gender and socio-economic status. As a middle-class white male you're probably in one of the lowest risk categories. Your point was that it would affect your day to day life and that isn't the case.

Aye Sandy Hook was a black ghetto.

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

How do you know I'm middle class and male? I'm fucking black! [\Baggio].

The point is, it is a factor that puts me off living there. I don't want to live in a society with that level of gun culture or expose my kids to it. Hardly makes me an idiot, or Gloom's wife for that matter.

BTW, I know 3 people who have been robbed at gunpoint in the States, including my wife. They were white. They weren't physically hurt so won't be recorded in the statistics, but fucking hell man, don't pretend it's not an issue. 

How do you think it's going to change your kids? The culture or the increased risk of being a victim? 

I've been robbed at knife point, it hasn't made me any less likely to go back to Manchester or walk at night because statistically it's still highly unlikely to happen again.

Your chance of being a victim of gun crime is higher in the USA but your perception of the likelihood of it happening is higher than the actual risk, I'd guess.

Just now, ewerk said:

Where did I say that it was exclusively a black and/or poor problem?

I didn't say you did but you were talking bollocks and needed correcting as you love to do to others.

"Gun deaths are high in the US, that's no shock. But your chances of being a victim are greatly affected by your race, gender and socio-economic status. As a middle-class white male you're probably in one of the lowest risk categories. Your point was that it would affect your day to day life and that isn't the case."

As a parent living in the US and knowing these things happen at schools including in white middle class neighbourhoods would affect my day to day life.

Here is a list of gun shootings in the US in Schools since the 1990's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#1990s

What part of what I said was bollocks? Gun crime affects all parts of the country but statistically your chances of being affected are based on where you live/work/spend your time. The chances of any of us moving to the hood are very low.

I've never said that it isn't a problem but if it would actively change your decision to move to a nice area in the States then you're blowing it out of proportion.

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

How do you think it's going to change your kids? The culture or the increased risk of being a victim? 

I've been robbed at knife point, it hasn't made me any less likely to go back to Manchester or walk at night because statistically it's still highly unlikely to happen again.

Your chance of being a victim of gun crime is higher in the USA but your perception of the likelihood of it happening is higher than the actual risk, I'd guess.

Of course, but perception is important and impacts on you. The issues with gun control and gun crime are perfectly legitimate reasons for Gloom's wife not to want to live in the States but you branded her an idiot for this [\stir].

You know, sometimes it's better to admit you're wrong than keep digging...

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What part of what I said was bollocks? Gun crime affects all parts of the country but statistically your chances of being affected are based on where you live/work/spend your time. The chances of any of us moving to the hood are very low.

I've never said that it isn't a problem but if it would actively change your decision to move to a nice area in the States then you're blowing it out of proportion.

Ahhh, a gated community you mean. Right. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Of course, but perception is important and impacts on you. The issues with gun control and gun crime are perfectly legitimate reasons for Gloom's wife not to want to live in the States but you branded her an idiot for this [\stir].

You know, sometimes it's better to admit you're wrong than keep digging...

So people should live their lives according to their incorrect perceptions rather than actually looking at the reality of the situation? Yes, that is idiotic. Public perception of crime levels is consistently higher than the real figures. It's the same with immigration and religion but obviously you don't believe we should challenge those false assumptions either?

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Ahhh, a gated community you mean. Right. 

Taking something I said and then trying to put words in my mouth. Try actually challenging what I've said rather than fabricating arguments to fight against.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Taking something I said and then trying to put words in my mouth. Try actually challenging what I've said rather than fabricating arguments to fight against.

Well gated communities are a reality in the US (and increasingly here) and are a major reason whites aren't affected as much by gun crime. Which gets back to the point that gun crime actually affects the society itself and also quality of life. I don't want to live in a segregated society like that personally. Doesn't make me an idiot. I'd argue the idiots are those that can't see the fundamental problems in the US, of which gun control is an unpleasant symptom. 

It's not segregated by gated and non-gated communities. It's a small percentage of people who live behind gates and again it goes not only to perception but also the status of living in a gated community. Again, I don't see it as a valid reason for not wanting to live there but that's me.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's not segregated by gated and non-gated communities. It's a small percentage of people who live behind gates and again it goes not only to perception but also the status of living in a gated community. Again, I don't see it as a valid reason for not wanting to live there but that's me.

Fine. I like to live in a more safe, European environment, but that's me.

Reminds me of HF saying he would love to live stateside, which I found amazing given his politics. Each to their own. 

18 hours ago, ewerk said:

For proper gun control you would need an amendment to the constitution and that isn't easy with any issue. It's impossible when it comes to guns.

This is what always gets me.  The gun lobby says you cannot take away the Constitutional right to bear arms, but the right to bear arms only came as a result of an amendment to the Constitution. Fuckwits.

He was shot for trying to escape it seems. Why on earth does the idea of someone trying to escape warrant their death?

Is that legal in the US? To use lethal force against someone for running away?

Obviously he ran  but I've never understood the use of "stop or I shoot" when there's no violence or threat involved. Okay he could turn and then pull a gun in which case it's fair enough but shooting someone in the back when they're running away is iffy to say the least. 

Also if they don't bring charges then fair enough (as in its a waste of time)  but shouldn't just lying about it in the face of film evidence mean losing their job?

Edited by NJS
  • Like 2

I don’t understand how they can’t bring charges though, it looks to me like they shot a man running away. Surely it should come before a court? It looks like cold blooded murder. And it’s so run of the mill that this isn’t even a big story.

• Like 1