Scots Money

Rob W

I must say as well Salmond was excellent on the Dimberly interviews last night where as Brown came across as a grotesque horror of a rude and arrogant man.

Had I no previous with Salmond then I would have been totally swayed by him.

:spit:

Been keeping an eye on the bookies for the past few weeks as I fancied a cheeky wager on the 'Yes' campaign as the tide appeared to be turning. Interesting to note that they haven't really changed that much and of late and, if anything, they're shortening for a 'No' vote and lengthening for the alternative:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome

Yeah, I've been dabbling with Betfair a bit, trading in and out as things have shifted, and "the market" is more certain of a No than it's been for some time. I'm not convinced there's anything to support a price of 5.4 that wasn't known when the price was 3.4 a week ago, but hey.

Yeah, I've been dabbling with Betfair a bit, trading in and out as things have shifted, and "the market" is more certain of a No than it's been for some time. I'm not convinced there's anything to support a price of 5.4 for Yes ahead of the price of 3.4 a week ago, but hey.

I suppose it's just there was the uncertainty that the 'No' campaign might completely fuck things up with a week to go, especially with 'Westminster' getting involved. That possibility appears to have passed now and the rather unsavoury tactics of some of the 'Yes' supporters have probably backfired a bit. Their vociferousness also makes me wonder if most of the 'Don't Knows' are really in the 'No' camp too.

Economics etched aside, I don't actually get all the emotional outpouring for the "United Kingdom". Bothers me not one iota (what is an iota?).

I'm English, They're Scottish.

When I here Cameron and others talk about being "heartbroken", I really just don't get it.

Is anyone really that bothered on an emotional level?

The yessers by the very nature of the issue have been the positive ones and there is more than likely a majority who wants to beleive them. The no could only ever be negative, but they're now letting Scotland raise their own taxes and keep the Barnett formula, But we all keep the union jack....for the moment... :glare:

I am a bit. The English, especially northern English, and especially especially Northumbrians, have so much more in common with the Scots than we don't. I understand their desire to cut ties with Westminster, but they're not so much throwing the baby out with the bath water here as drowning it first.

The Scots already get a good deal. Either way it goes now there is going to be massive English resentment. It's a complete disaster in truth.

I want a 'no' purely from a selfish point of view. I.e. it makes a Tory government far more likely if there's a 'yes' and I think that's bad news for the North East, generally speaking.

I'm not sure the Scots plan to be rid of the Tories will work. Surely all need democracy's need parties from right and left. (Not that there's a great deal between Tories and Labour anyway).

But the idea that an independent Scotland will happily plod along with only one style of government seems daft.

I want a 'no' purely from a selfish point of view. I.e. it makes a Tory government far more likely if there's a 'yes' and I think that's bad news for the North East, generally speaking.

I said this earlier in this thread and some suedehead said it didn't really affect our elections. Wot?

I'm not sure the Scots plan to be rid of the Tories will work. Surely all need democracy's need parties from right and left. (Not that there's a great deal between Tories and Labour anyway).

But the idea that an independent Scotland will happily plod along with only one style of government seems daft.

If they do vote Yes then the vultures will be in there and no doubt. Getting the masses to change their minds is childsplay.

The UK has run its course iyam.The post war consensus and the glue in society that held us together was done away with, ironically, by the tories in the 80s. That doesn't mean that the corporate world won't squash an independant Scotland like a fly.

The UK has run its course iyam.The post war consensus and the glue in society that held us together was done away with, ironically, by the tories in the 80s. That doesn't mean that the corporate world won't squash an independant Scotland like a fly.

That's utterly ridiculous imo. Thatcher shafted everyone north of birmingham in the 80s, not just Scotland. The whole country substantially recovered in the 90s and early mid noughties, only to be hit by one duck of a recession. Again, the entire north has been shafted by the conservatives, but at least Scotland benefit from the Barnett formula and devolution. There absolutely no reason to believe the Tories will win the next election.

Splitting the union will have huge negative consequences for rUK and Scotland. I honestly don't understand the reason for it, and can't believe anyone has fallen for the myth peddled by Salmond.

Well you seem to be agreeing but saying you disagree... I agree with what you're saying as well, my point is that the institutions, workplaces and social groupings of the working class from the post war period had all gone from all of the UK by as you say by the mid nineties, and coupled with Scotland being the guinea pig for the poll tax a few years earlier there was a gradual realisation that Scotland (and the north) was only useful to the powers that be when we were producing the coal and ships that fired the empire. Once the British Empire had declined, they had no use for the north, so the sense of togetherness died iyam. This is what the Scots nats have exploited.

Well you seem to be agreeing but saying you disagree... I agree with what you're saying as well, my point is that the institutions, workplaces and social groupings of the working class from the post war period had all gone from all of the UK by as you say by the mid nineties, and coupled with Scotland being the guinea pig for the poll tax a few years earlier there was a gradual realisation that Scotland (and the north) was only useful to the powers that be when we were producing the coal and ships that fired the empire. Once the British Empire had declined, they had no use for the north, so the sense of togetherness died iyam. This is what the Scots nats have exploited.

That applies to the 'working class' all over Europe...There is however some resistence in France. Production was moved in the 90's over to China and the Far East in general inc India. That has always been the plan of the rulers. Post war expectations were never going to be met over the long term. The 'workers' have been taught a lesson and undercut by 'work flight' and the influx of cheap labour (one of the main reasons for EU expansion).

The best way I could put it is if a Scots nats politician in the 50s,60s or 70s had gone up to a Ravenscraig steel worker and said "vote for me" he'd likely get the retort "why? I work for BRITISH Steel'. All that's gone, and most under 40 barely if at all remember it.

That's utterly ridiculous imo. Thatcher shafted everyone north of birmingham in the 80s, not just Scotland. The whole country substantially recovered in the 90s and early mid noughties, only to be hit by one duck of a recession. Again, the entire north has been shafted by the conservatives, but at least Scotland benefit from the Barnett formula and devolution. There absolutely no reason to believe the Tories will win the next election.

Splitting the union will have huge negative consequences for rUK and Scotland. I honestly don't understand the reason for it, and can't believe anyone has fallen for the myth peddled by Salmond.

What do you consider the "huge negative consequences for England"?

If a scots nats politician from the 50s 60s or 70s had gone up to a steel worker from Ravenscraig and said "vote for me" he'd have got the answer "why? I work for BRITISH Steel" That's all gone now, so is his union to all intents and purposes, his social club, and now his political party (Labour) is pretty much an irrelevance in Scotland too. The Scots nats now ask "what keeps you British?" not much as far as I can make out.