Scots Money

Rob W

16 and 17 year olds can vote today.

which is fucking stupid, I can't imagine my 16 year old self with a vote.

My 16 year old self would've been a lot more politically aware than some of the adults I see around me today ages from twenty up to their fifties who glean their facts of todays Britain from The Sun, The Daily Mail, Sofa's UK, Taxi Journal and The Daily Star.

Edited by Howmanheyman

My 16 year old self would've been a lot more politically aware than some of the adults I see around me today ages from twenty up to their fifties who glean their facts of todays Britain from The Sun, The Daily Mail and The Daily Star.

Fair enough, I don't think mine would.

Who's the kid from Pakistan then? No matter...

In the last 25 years former totalitarian regimes and brutally sectarian countries all over the planet have granted the right to vote to all citizens. In the 19th century the US gave former slaves a vote too, yet some on here are suggesting that some folk north of the border aren't clever enough to vote the way you think they should? :lol:

In the last 25 years former totalitarian regimes and brutally sectarian countries all over the planet have granted the right to vote to all citizens. In the 19th century the US gave former slaves a vote too, yet some on here are suggesting that some folk north of the border aren't clever enough to vote the way you think they should? :lol:

Aimaad?

Ah ok, sorry - I picked up on CT's point with my thinking more along the lines of what people in general do in voting, not specifically Scotland. My bad, it's the wrong thread for it really.

I actually think Scottish people are more informed going into this than most would be in a referendum or election, despite all of the unknowns; people are making as informed a judgment as they can - and I don't want them to vote one way or the other, I can see the merits of both sides; stability and continuity for the no, and the chance to tell London to fuck off for the yes (although I haven't seen any convincing arguments for yes beyond this, much as it has my full sympathy).

From the pov of the NE, I really want them to vote no. But I think if I was Scottish I'd probably vote yes and let the chips fall where they may. It would be great for that cunt Cameron to be the PM responsible for overseeing the breakdown of the union too.

If voting made any difference it would be illegal.

Strangely though, this referendum would appear to be one of the few cases where, while it may not make a huge difference to the way people live their lives, a yes vote would be as serious a blow as the establishment have received in some time.

I dare say all of the usual influences will get their grubby hands on Scotland in short order, but an independent Scotland is clearly not something they desired.

Edited by Rayvin

I agree, and I think the yes campaign has huge merit in lots of ways. The corporates will snuff out a young democracy in this case though. I've got an English brother and sister and a 78 year old English mother all getting a vote (brother is the only yesser, fuckin Stalinist :glare: ) to go with the house I own in the village where I was brought up so there's a bit riding on it for me. As I've said, don't let Salmon tear up the union jack, give him the rest though and hope it leads to a sort of "united states of the UK" where all major decisions are mostly made locally and most taxes are collected locally. The US does this, can't see why we can't have full regionalisation in the future. The cats out the bag now like, well done salmon for that.

I doubt it, I think it's illegal to report any exit polls while voting is continuing.

Aye, pretty sure it is for general elections anyway. Smells like social media bullshit.