Scots Money

Rob W

Next stop France.

France wanted to become part of the UK when it was facing economic difficulties in the 1950s, it has been revealed. According to once-secret documents, the French Prime Minister, Guy Mollet, came to London to discuss the possibility of a merger with his British counterpart, Sir Anthony Eden.

The pair even discussed the possibility of making the Queen the French head of state, cabinet papers from the period say.

France was in economic difficulties and faced the escalating Suez crisis at the time of the meeting, in September 1956.

Mr Mollet's request for a union failed, but he responded with another radical plan: that France be allowed to join the British Commonwealth.

Disappointing result. Funny that Cameron's first pledge was to resolve the West Lothian question, essentially taking power away from Scotland. :lol:

Must say, I actually agree with that sentiment, but to be so brazen about it first thing in the morning was a testiment to the fact we're gonna get none of this "jam tomorrow" that was cobbled together as a panic move to force a No vote.

I respect the decision. I just hope my fellow Scots reserve my right to say "I told you so" when we get bugger all for this.

Disappointing result. Funny that Cameron's first pledge was to resolve the West Lothian question, essentially taking power away from Scotland. :lol:

Must say, I actually agree with that sentiment, but to be so brazen about it first thing in the morning was a testiment to the fact we're gonna get none of this "jam tomorrow" that was cobbled together as a panic move to force a No vote.

I respect the decision. I just hope my fellow Scots reserve my right to say "I told you so" when we get bugger all for this.

On the contrary I think he was fairly clear that it will be agreed by the end of November and passed into law by January.