Scots Money

Rob W

So you would have accepted a fall in living standards in return for independence?

Yes. Although I don't think the fall would be that great. A raise in taxes and a drop in the childcare promises.

Of course living standards are dropping anyway. With more huge cuts to come so C'est la vie.

fiyfl.gif

New country. Big gap in their budget. Inability to borrow from international markets at reasonable rates.

The SNP would have had no option but to renege on some of their promises and in all likelihood make cuts to current provisions.

New country. Big gap in their budget. Inability to borrow from international markets at reasonable rates.

The SNP would have had no option but to renege on some of their promises and in all likelihood make cuts to current provisions.

My point was, I wouldn't have thought Scotland's standard of living could drop much further before a descent into some 2000AD dystopian nightmare.

Let's get this straight.

You know very little about international affairs. There are many high level very learned economists who disagree with you however you post your thoughts as the be all and end all of political thought.

Like I said previously you are a condescending prick but hey that's you.

Let's get this straight.

You know very little about international affairs. There are many high level very learned economists who disagree with you however you post your thoughts as the be all and end all of political thought.

Like I said previously you are a condescending prick but hey that's you.

Any not in the pay of the SNP? Name a few and present their arguments.

I think the reality is that independence would have been economically difficult for Scotland. That said, the oil price issue is potentially only temporary (assuming that it is a gambit by the US to destabilise Russia).

I don't think most Yes voters were ever all that convinced by the SNP's rhetoric in that respect, much of it was very unknowable. I'm not sure though, that this would mean independence would suddenly become undesirable.

On the other hand, the romantic notion of 'independence irregardless' would be short lived once standards of living took a dive.

I think the reality is that independence would have been economically difficult for Scotland. That said, the oil price issue is potentially only temporary (assuming that it is a gambit by the US to destabilise Russia).

I don't think most Yes voters were ever all that convinced by the SNP's rhetoric in that respect, much of it was very unknowable. I'm not sure though, that this would mean independence would suddenly become undesirable.

On the other hand, the romantic notion of 'independence irregardless' would be short lived once standards of living took a dive.

I think the price at the petrol pumps is temp, the chancellor will be wanking at the moment.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...

At our thrice weekly insomniacs meeting (convened at half 2 this morning :glare: ) the subject we decided on was the SNP literally eating itself just at the point when another bite of the Indy cherry was in sight.....made me think of this thread, and it’s a fuckin banger :lol: Some of the loons who used to hove into view on here beggar belief. Some great & thoughtful contributions too. Anyway...Sturgeon has sacked Joanna Cherry QC for not giving in to an allegedly totally fuckin batchy sounding trans lobby who have made death threats against Ms Cherry who is now apparently under police guard...there’s a lot to it that’s difficult to understand without knowing a lot of the background but that’s the thing..there’s almost a complete media blackout...

https://grousebeater.wordpress.com

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

At our thrice weekly insomniacs meeting (convened at half 2 this morning :glare: ) the subject we decided on was the SNP literally eating itself just at the point when another bite of the Indy cherry was in sight.....made me think of this thread, and it’s a fuckin banger :lol: Some of the loons who used to hove into view on here beggar belief. Some great & thoughtful contributions too. Anyway...Sturgeon has sacked Joanna Cherry QC for not giving in to an allegedly totally fuckin batchy sounding trans lobby who have made death threats against Ms Cherry who is now apparently under police guard...there’s a lot to it that’s difficult to understand without knowing a lot of the background but that’s the thing..there’s almost a complete media blackout...

https://grousebeater.wordpress.com

Anna Cherry is a TERF

Gonna be honest, I hadn't heard about this and it's not going to take my eye off the main prize. Don't know enough of the details to say who is right or wrong here, but I'm still voting SNP.

I think if I still lived up there I’d vote for Indy but I’d struggle to vote for the SNP...if that makes sense? 

Im like you, don’t know enough of the ins. & outs to comment with any real insight. Other than Sturgeon appears finished for a variety of reasons and possibly sees Cherry as having an eye on her job. Come on @Kevin Carr's Gloves dish the dirt :D

Yeah I get it - I'm not actually sure if I think the SNP are an inherently poor party though, they seem to do alright over some issues.

Have done a bit of reading on Cherry - does sound like a TERF - not sure at all why TERFs won't just accept that trans women are women in every sense and just crack on with more allies in the cause but there we go.

As for Sturgeon, this is very likely a internal political move as you say, so on that note I find it disappointing.

I think Cherry's attempt to get elected to the Scottish Parliament was a blatant indication that she wanted to challenge Sturgeon.

There's a massive appetite in Scotland for independence. The only way I can see Labour getting into power next time round is if they promise another referendum in order to siphon votes away from the SNP. Let Scotland go and also include a PR voting system for the remainder of the UK to prevent the Tories from taking electoral advantage.

• Like 1