The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, wouldn't surprise me at all.

Fair enough, like. I can understand a lot of the negativity around at the moment, but I can't understand anyone genuinely believing that Ashley would have us start the season with very little chance of maintaining our PL status.

You mean like when we got promoted and were instantly hit with "there'll be no major outlay on transfers" statement? We weren't really expected to stay up then, that we did was because of the character of the squad and not because Mike spent enough to keep us up.

Fair enough, like. I can understand a lot of the negativity around at the moment, but I can't understand anyone genuinely believing that Ashley would have us start the season with very little chance of maintaining our PL status.

There's always the January window if he thinks we need substantial player 'trading' to keep us in the division.

I'm not trying to say we'll make a substantial outlay on players, or even that the players we bring in will be of a high enough quality. However, if we don't bring bodies in, and the expected players leave, we'll barely have enough senior pros to field a first eleven. For me, he won't let that happen.

How much to bring in a load of Amalfitano's or Goslings? Is this Spanish kid earmarked for the reserves? We might end up with a lot of signings, my guess is at least half will be bought not on ability but on affordability or transfer clauses.

How much to bring in a load of Amalfitano's or Goslings? Is this Spanish kid earmarked for the reserves? We might end up with a lot of signings, my guess is at least half will be bought not on ability but on affordability or transfer clauses.

My guess is ALL will be. Almost certain anyway.

Last week there was an article saying Pardew was to be given £35 million (that magic figure again) to buy 3 new strikers. Now you'd be forgiven for thinking 3 £12 million strikers sounds canny. But then we remember that that £12 million will have to include the transfer fee, agents fees, & players wages. On that basis we are now probably looking for 3 £6/7 million strikers it certainly narrows our chances of buying quality players down.

This is our transfer policy now is it not? I would suspect Mbwia's (and Cisse latterly) lack of success will reinforce it even more.

And I can't understand anyone who would second-guess the man, given his record.

Edited by trophyshy

Ashley learns from mistakes. He might not learn what we want him to, but he applies lessons learned.

He sold Given, Milner and Nzogbia as our season spiralled out of control in 08/09 without replacing them and we got relegated. In 12/13 we were facing relegation again and we brought in half a dozen players to ensure survival. That's the plus side of him gaining some experience.

Unfortunately he's learned that the Europa league is a ball and chain of a competition and he wants nothing to do with it, that an ambitious manager with an ounce of pride will cause him grief and that the club can lose a great deal of money on 8 figure signings too.

Ashley learns from mistakes. He might not learn what we want him to, but he applies lessons learned.

He sold Given, Milner and Nzogbia as our season spiralled out of control in 08/09 without replacing them and we got relegated. In 12/13 we were facing relegation again and we brought in half a dozen players to ensure survival. That's the plus side of him gaining some experience.

Unfortunately he's learned that the Europa league is a ball and chain of a competition and he wants nothing to do with it, that an ambitious manager with an ounce of pride will cause him grief and that the club can lose a great deal of money on 8 figure signings too.

Totally agree.

However he cant sell the likes of Cabaye, Carroll etc... if he doesn't buy players of the calibre of Cabella and Grenier.

I wonder how he views not signing Remy twice! On the one hand we've had him cheap and risk free, however i get the feeling he bitter we didnt get to cash in on him.

I think we probably are in for the likes of Cabella but only if we can get them for a bargain price. That approach paid off with Cabaye but French clubs seems to be wise to us now....as we're seeing with montpelliers refusal to do a quick deal before the WC. I do think we risk losing out on our top targets if thats what we're doing because other clubs will make more credible bids.

Pretty damning that. I'm not sure he's enough to change either of their fortunes by himself, but he's closer tothe final piece for Arsenal than he is for Chelsea imo.

Fabregas: “I firmly believe that Chelsea is the best choice. They match my footballing ambitions with their hunger and desire to win trophies.”

“I would like to thank everyone at FC Barcelona where I enjoyed 3 wonderful years. It was my childhood club and I will always be proud and honoured that I had a chance to play for such a great team.

"I do feel that I have unfinished business in the Premier League and now is the right time for me to return. Yes, everyone knows that Arsenal had the first option to sign me. They decided not to take this option and therefore it wasn’t meant to be. I wish them well in the future.”

€15m = about £13m

Sounds like Ashley's market trader shtick isn't going down too well in France.

Saying that, Nicollin is a fucking buffoon, so it could all be bluster to drive the price further now that Cabella's in the World Cup.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic