Anorthernsoul

The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

There's a lot of chatter on Twitter in favour of Townsend.

A lot of it seems to be because he's English, as if that really means anything.

I think Perez has looked decent at times there this season but on the whole think he's struggled for form a bit. In any case I would expect the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 to interchange and all look to link up with the lone striker. It's a slightly different role to playing wide in a 4-4-2 / 4-3-3 where I think he probably would struggle (and Townsend would be more suited). We do need to improve the squad long term but if we're spunking that sort of cash now it really should be on guaranteed starters

i totally agree. not easy in january though is it? selling clubs can smell desperation, and we're desperate.

And yet Austin went for £4m. Doubling what Southampton offered would've been better value and met our needs better

there's also the issue that townsend is probably as good as we're going to be able to attract. how many players capable of improving our side and with PL experience are going to want to fancy joining us in the midst of another relegation battle?

there's also the issue that townsend is probably as good as we're going to be able to attract. how many players capable of improving our side and with PL experience are going to want to fancy joining us in the midst of another relegation battle?

You're not really selling him to the sceptics here ;)

And yet Austin went for £4m. Doubling what Southampton offered would've been better value and met our needs better

i'd be very surprised if we weren't in for him. we were certainly linked with him. it could have been that he picked them over us. i probably would if i were him right now too - they're a way more stable club than we've been in recent years.

You're not really selling him to the sceptics here ;)

i reckon he'll be a good fit for us. i'd be happy for us to sign someone better like, but i don't see it happening. i'd rather we take a punt on someone like townsend than bet on another thauvin or cabella being able to adjust to the english game.

i'd be very surprised if we weren't in for him. we were certainly linked with him. it could have been that he picked them over us. i probably would if i were him right now too - they're a way more stable club than we've been in recent years.

It makes sense that we should've been in for him but I don't think there's much, if any, evidence we were this time round. Anyway, all moot now

i reckon he'll be a good fit for us. i'd be happy for us to sign someone better like, but i don't see it happening. i'd rather we take a punt on someone like townsend than bet on another thauvin or cabella being able to adjust to the english game.

Ludicrous allowing Cabella to go imo. He was starting to show signs of adapting to match the odd flash of good play last season. The Thauvin deal replacing him was a proper fuck up. Don't think two terrible deals make Townsend a better bet though. That's poor logic

the logic is we'd be signing someone who is used to the speed of the game here. i don't think cabella ever quite looked up to it, the odd flash of skill aside. he may have adjusted if we'd stuck with him or given him more game time. the thauvin move was bizarre as mcclaren blatantly doesn't fancy him/

It makes sense that we should've been in for him but I don't think there's much, if any, evidence we were this time round. Anyway, all moot now

Sure I read that he doesn't want to leave the south. You could probably tempt him with a massive paypacket but if he doesn't want to move up, it's pointless going after him. We probably still did, like.

Sure I read that he doesn't want to leave the south. You could probably tempt him with a massive paypacket but if he doesn't want to move up, it's pointless going after him. We probably still did, like.

I suppose, if that's the case, all things being equal he'd have gone for them. And all things aren't equal since we're a shambles

So what's the asking price for this Berahino chap I've seen an asking price of £24 million shirley we wouldn't pay that?

Edited by trooper

We really can't afford to risk getting strung along by Berahino/West Brom. We are in desperate need of goals so we need to either sign him or move quickly on to someone else. Mitro is struggling to score, Cisse is crocked and Riviere isn't up to the job so we cannot come out of the window with just those three. So we need to stop preparing and actually make a substantial bid for him. If that means chucking an extra couple of million then so be it. West Brom say they want to keep him but I don't see how they could possibly turn down £20m+ for a player who Pulis isn't playing.

We have apparently ended our interest in Townsend and are looking at Sandro Rodriguez on loan from barca with Scott Sinclair or Matt Phillips next on the list

I don't think Perez is wasted out wide, especially in our system. I think he's a good player with nice touches, good vision and an ability to finish well but I don't think he's in the game enough and ready to dictate play in the way you would demand and expect of a no. 10 in the Premier League. Townsend would provide a different type of option but I don't think he's as good as Perez and wouldn't necessarily improve the first XI. Even more so were we to sign Berahino which should be more of a priority.

Totally agree with this. If we signed Berahino (and I think it's a big if) he could play with Mitrovic, in place of him or in a wider forward position (like Ba & Remy did sucessfully here). Perez is better than Townsend (even if he has looked a bit jaded recently) and he can be used on the left along with Berahino and Aarons (obviously not all at the same time).

We have apparently ended our interest in Townsend and are looking at Sandro Rodriguez on loan from barca with Scott Sinclair or Matt Phillips next on the list

No idea about the kid from Barca but I'm not any more excited about Sinclair than I am about Townsend. Phillips looked decent when I've seen him but I've not seen much.

If we end the window without signing a proven striker we'll be goosed. I know it's a cliché but goals win games and we need wins not draws here & there

i've got a feeling we will end up with neither of these two. their agents are clearly bandying their names around, and i've never known us to wiin a bidding war in ashley in ashley's time. no way is he spending more than £20m on berahino. that's the sort of fee he likes to get for players, not splash out on them.

Edited by Dr Gloom

The going rate for world class with the big clubs now is £60m+, he'll probably break our transfer record soon if he sees potential for a profit. He'll be heartened that Gini has probably more than doubled his value as well, given he's his biggest signing

I agree. Plus Ireckon he wanted to stay in the South

The story of Bendtner to Newcastle seems to have officially died today. Apparently Pardew would like to bring Bendtner to Crystal Palace.

:lol: That doesn't surprise me. Another big useless knacker who never scores but who he can lump balls at.