What're they worth now?

The Fish

I don't see Rooney playing to 34.

No chance, he'll be a scintillating Sky pundit by 33."well now eeeeer, I tink dat what he needed to do dair like was, eeeeeer, try an gerrin de box and, eeeeeer, prolly have a shot on the goals like, eeeeeer, duyunowarrameanlike?"I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

No chance, he'll be a scintillating Sky pundit by 33. "well now eeeeer, I tink dat what he needed to do dair like was, eeeeeer, try an gerrin de box and, eeeeeer, prolly have a shot on the goals like, eeeeeer, duyunowarrameanlike?" I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

:lol:

Sky sports have been on the phone. They want to know where you got a hold of their ten year pundit blue print from?

Edited by Howmanheyman

No chance, he'll be a scintillating Sky pundit by 33."well now eeeeer, I tink dat what he needed to do dair like was, eeeeeer, try an gerrin de box and, eeeeeer, prolly have a shot on the goals like, eeeeeer, duyunowarrameanlike?"I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

:lol:

Are you kidding? British players have the most inflated prices going. Fulham signed Ross McCormack for £11m!

If Diego Costa went for £32m, and wasn't a proven Premier League striker, you can bet every penny that Shearer would go for at least an extra 50% on top.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I agree that British players are stupidly inflated, but Bale, Suarez, and Ronaldo all went to Spanish sides who seem only too willing to pay incredible fees. I do not believe that Shearer would have gone overseas, which would probably mean a decrease in the amount which would be paid for him. It was not an attempt to downgrade his value as a player, merely the market in which he would be bought.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I agree that British players are stupidly inflated, but Bale, Suarez, and Ronaldo all went to Spanish sides who seem only too willing to pay incredible fees. I do not believe that Shearer would have gone overseas, which would probably mean a decrease in the amount which would be paid for him. It was not an attempt to downgrade his value as a player, merely the market in which he would be bought.

The only clubs in Spain who really pay silly money for players are Real Madrid and Barcelona. Would they have spent that much on an (superior) English Diego Costa? I reckon £80m would be the going rate for a 1:2 goal scorer, also I think a 26yr old Shearer now would be a bigger marketing commodity than he was then.

Would a club like Blackburn (even assuming they were at level they were then rather than now) be able to command such a fee though? I think there's a premium when you're buying players from the biggest clubs (which they weren't really despite their league win) as oppose to others. I don't think Shearer's ever spoken of any desire to have played abroad either (might be wrong there but I can't remember hearing it).

Would a club like Blackburn (even assuming they were at level they were then rather than now) be able to command such a fee though? I think there's a premium when you're buying players from the biggest clubs (which they weren't really despite their league win) as oppose to others. I don't think Shearer's ever spoken of any desire to have played abroad either (might be wrong there but I can't remember hearing it).

Mind you, Blackburn arguably did command a comparable fee that Tottenham did for Bale.

How much would Shearer cost today is kind of two different questions:

1. If the financial climate was the same in 1996, how much would Shearer have gone for?

2. If Shearer was playing in today's game how much would he go for?

The answer to 1. is pretty straightforward - a bit more than the current record so £80-90 million.

The answer to 2. is a bit difficult because he'd be playing against, playing with and being compared to completely different players - it's nearly 10 years since he retired and 20 since he was at his peak. With regard to his team mates, a big factor in raising his profile the golden boot at Euro 96 - given England's dismal record at tournements recently there's no guarentee he would have had the same success. I don't think he'd have been held in the same regard as Messi, Suarez, or Ronaldo and indeed I don't think he is by those outside of Newcastle. I still think he'd have been a great player, but one scoring 30+ several times in a row? Who knows.

prob got a pay off and he's 63, no doubt has his savings sorted so easy going job to top it up

More like, as I think Andrew was alluding to, we were employing a shit coach who no one else is interested in employing. I wouldn't have thought he'd have loads of money either.

Today's prices are a joke. Genuinely hand on heart I can think of at least 4 players in my lifetime from the toon who are better than Gareth Bale. He was 85s, so am sorry like but a 25 year old Peter Beardsley, Alan Shearer, Gazza, and Ginola would be worth more and that's strites. At today's prices I'm worth £5m.

This club should be raking in £200m a year, Tottenham are, we used to dwarf them in income so why aren't we? Fat cunt. Hope he dies. If someone killed him before I die, I'd be fuckin going on the drink for 3 weeks, baring in mind I've had not one pint in 42 days.

Today's prices are a joke. Genuinely hand on heart I can think of at least 4 players in my lifetime from the toon who are better than Gareth Bale. He was 85s, so am sorry like but a 25 year old Peter Beardsley, Alan Shearer, Gazza, and Ginola would be worth more and that's strites. At today's prices I'm worth £5m.

This club should be raking in £200m a year, Tottenham are, we used to dwarf them in income so why aren't we? Fat cunt. Hope he dies. If someone killed him before I die, I'd be fuckin going on the drink for 3 weeks, baring in mind I've had not one pint in 42 days.

42 days good lad Stevie keep it up young 'un.

• 1 month later...

Aye he'd have went for no less than Suarez, plus he'd done it 3 years in a row, didn't have the record of being a rabid fucking animal and is English which always seems to put the price up as well.

Love your picture, I've known about him for months, he's now on twitter, been on 12 days and has 100,000 followers already.