The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cheers for that, TP.

it is a shame to be losing bairstow and buttler, as they would both probably feature in our strongest batting lineup in india, but the rotation policy is understandable in the circumstances. mental health impact has long been an issue for touring cricketers. living in a covid secure bubble for weeks on end must exacerbate it

• Like 3

Apparently they're taking the world feed of comentary which will certainly mean more Indian bias and the dregs of sky's comentary (Nick Knight, Mark Butcher) which is a bit of a shame.  For all the shite in football comentary, Nasser, Atherton, Bumble etc do provide excellent comentary on England cricket.

Great stuff by Root. The combination of him batting at 4, Silverwood coming in and the approach of playing more traditional / attritional players ahead of him (which you also have to give and the coach credit for) just seems to have eased the pressure of captaincy enough. Allowing him to concentrate on what he’s best at. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

class is permanent 

What strikes me is when he looks happy like this is that it reminds me of the old pre-captaincy Root. Not just the shot making, feet movement and so on. When it looked like it had gotten a bit too much for him it was kind of like his mindset was - I don’t have the mental strength to concentrate for as long as I’d like so I’ll have a bit of a go and try and get runs quickly. I doubt that was even a conscious decision - if it was the case. But now it’s like when he first came into the side (or when he found that niche in the middle order that suited him). Where you’re going to have to get him out because he refuses to give it away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

What strikes me is when he looks happy like this is that it reminds me of the old pre-captaincy Root. Not just the shot making, feet movement and so on. When it looked like it had gotten a bit too much for him it was kind of like his mindset was - I don’t have the mental strength to concentrate for as long as I’d like so I’ll have a bit of a go and try and get runs quickly. I doubt that was even a conscious decision - if it was the case. But now it’s like when he first came into the side (or when he found that niche in the middle order that suited him). Where you’re going to have to get him out because he refuses to give it away. 

having more traditional test batsmen coming in first to see off the new ball is massive in that respect. 

shame to see sibley fall to last ball of the day. still england's day

• Like 1

v encouraging that he has converted a few 50s on the bounce as i think he was having a bit of a mental block. how many times did he make good-looking 40s and 50s only not to go on in recent years? 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Agree with all that. Sickener for Sibley there. But taking the shine off the new ball is important anyway but there’s no need for quick runs at the top when you have our middle order. Give them a platform and we can beat anyone. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

Agree with all that. Sickener for Sibley there. But taking the shine off the new ball is important anyway but there’s no need for quick runs at the top when you have our middle order. Give them a platform and we can beat anyone. 

yes, which is exactly what we haven't been able to do in recent years. root and stokes effectively having to open as early wickets above them tumble. looks like we might finally have our proper two test openers in burns and sibley. 

was crawly dropped on form for lawrence? if i'm being ultra critical think putting him in at 3 in india was throwing him in at the deep end a bit, when crawley has runs in the bank in that position 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

was crawly dropped on form for lawrence? if i'm being ultra critical think putting him in at 3 in india was throwing him in at the deep end a bit, when crawley has runs in the bank in that position 

I think they’ve said there’s a strict rotation policy because of all the tests this year and the extra pressure of covid and all that comes with that for the players