Sexism Mein Arsch!

Park Life

This woman walked around for 10 hours in NY and got loads of comments...Guardian reckon it's harassment and sexism. Bollocks! Just men being men innit....

"An actor who recorded 10 hours of catcalls and remarks from passersby in New York City has received rape threats in response to a video detailing the harassment, the advocacy group that commissioned the video said on Tuesday.

In a two-minute video, actor Shoshana B Roberts was told to smile, told, “Somebody is acknowledging you for being beautiful – you should say thank you,” and comments were made about her clothes and appearance.

At one point in the video, which has been viewed nearly 10m times in fewer than 24 hours, a man walked alongside her silently for five minutes.

Another followed her, while offering to give her his number."

Edited by Park Life

Are you kidding me? What is that if not harassment?

That kind of shit happens here every day, and yeah, I'm going to say it - it's the blacks and immigrants, my own people included, who do it. It's embarrassing. Nothing is more obviously low-class than whistling at/obviously turning in the street to stare at lasses, and worse still are the very popular "I said you were beautiful, you should say thank you" implicit threats to solo women. The fucking worst is when they hound girls with strollers or who are trailing toddlers.

Obviously men are going to look at good-looking women but that's all it should be, looking. I really question if any man on this earth has ever managed to get a number, let alone any farther than that, with this type of behavior. It does nothing for any of these deadbeat losers, most of whom do nothing except hang out outside bodegas and smoke weed they bought with welfare checks, except self-affirm their preconceived idea of women as objects.

Sorry if that was a chomp, like, but issues like this have been on my mind as of late. I'm expecting a child, gender unknown, and I don't want my prospective daughter to grow up in a society where things like this are taken as a matter of course.

Aye the bloke walking next to her is very creepy and I think the "you should say thanks" does sound more than a bit threatening.

But the good mornings and good evenings surely can't be classed as harrasment? The damn girls or whatever seem pretty innocuous too.

The blokes doing it do seem pretty pathetic either way like.

"Sexy American eagle"?? :lol:

Isn't this just the same sort of loser as that mackem "the bustop boner" or whatever he was called? Targeted random females on the off chance of some action, in his case he used the wearside bus service to find suitable err "targets" and ended up fathering a couple of dozen kids?...if I was being unkind I'd make a disparaging remark concerning his success and the womenfolk of wearyside but that would just be unkind .... thing is some girls will love the attention of strangers chatting them up and would laugh at it being called harassment.

"Sexy American eagle"?? :lol:

Isn't this just the same sort of loser as that mackem "the bustop boner" or whatever he was called? Targeted random females on the off chance of some action, in his case he used the wearside bus service to find suitable err "targets" and ended up fathering a couple of dozen kids?...if I was being unkind I'd make a disparaging remark concerning his success and the womenfolk of wearyside but that would just be unkind .... thing is some girls will love the attention of strangers chatting them up and would laugh at it being called harassment.

You as a man deciding what is or isn't sexual harrassment is actually sexist.

You as a man deciding what is or isn't sexual harrassment is actually sexist.

Taking being 'right on' to previously unplumbed depths that :lol:

I assume you're taking the piss like. Funny either way though.

I think it's easy for us to say "well that's harmless" because we don't experience it. I think we, as reasonable adults see Good mornings and Hellos as politeness, but I don't think those saying it are being polite, they're saying it to get a reaction. Either the unlikely jackpot of the girl being blown away by the attention and seeking further relationship building with the harasser, or for her to tell him to fuck off thus proving "she's a stuck up bitch".

Imagine hearing that kind of stuff every time you go to and from work. An easy way would be to watch Joey from Friends on repeat.

"How you doin'" ad infinitum.

I was walking down a street near Times Square the other evening when some random fella walking the other way told my wife 'sexercise is the best exercise'. I wasn't sure whether to be offended or not, in the end I didn't bother.

And yesterday I did actually see a guy stop a girl in the street, asking her to take out her earphones and told her she was very pretty. To which she smiled and said thank you.

I have literally thousands of these stories. Each as riveting as the last.

And yesterday I did actually see a guy stop a girl in the street, asking her to take out her earphones and told her she was very pretty. To which she smiled and said thank you.

I have literally thousands of these stories. Each as riveting as the last.

:lol:

There's definitely some dodgy bastards in the video. I will also say I've never felt compelled to yell "have a good day" at random fit lasses in the street, so even that is a little odd and I doubt they'd say the same if it was some lard arse waddling past them (they'd probably say something else mind which I guess is another form of harassment) so in that respect I see how they call it harassment. I know a lot of blokes will see this sort of video and think "I'd love to walk down the street getting compliments" , it would definitely get tiresome after a while and we also wouldn't feel very threatened if we were walking down a street and an 8 stone lass said something, it wouldn't feel as pleasant if you were walking down the street and a load of 20 clem bodybuilders kept yelling "nice arse" and following you.

I'm not sure what the money would go to mind, there's not a lot you can do to stop dodgy bastards saying dodgy stuff unless you use the money to hire blokes to batter them anytime they say something creepy. The bloke walking alongside her for 10 minutes or whatever needs some help mind :lol:.

I suppose we need to hear from some chick to get her point of view. We'll have to wait until they're all finished the ironing of course.

I suppose in quiet streets It would be quite intimidating but while walking through busy streets during the day I'm surprised that anyone would find it such (obviously excluding some nut job following you for ages). It's really pathetic to see that many blokes doing mind you. I've only really seen that sort of thing in the bigg market on a Friday night.

I suppose we need to hear from some chick to get her point of view. We'll have to wait until they're all finished the ironing of course.

I suppose in quiet streets It would be quite intimidating but while walking through busy streets during the day I'm surprised that anyone would find it such (obviously excluding some nut job following you for ages). It's really pathetic to see that many blokes doing mind you. I've only really seen that sort of thing in the bigg market on a Friday night.

Aye, I'd agree with the point on the busy street especially in the middle of the day. I'm also not sure how widespread this really is, I've not really seen it happen much outside of mortal people being nobbers. I could be wrong and it could happen constantly but I'm not too convinced.

I can only assume they've done it for the reason it's more common than we think. That seemed fairly out in the open so if it were like that around the streets of newcastle I would imagine id have experienced it (as a bystander not as a recipient unfortunately).