Terrorism

aimaad22

How about stopping IS leaders from being able to communicate with people in France? Why does e.g Twitter etc allow IS to use their service? Is it because the authorities prefer to be able to monitor? Never understood why they don't just shut down the Internet into ISIS controlled areas. Presume there is some reason but if messages are inspiring these acts then surely stopping the message would be important?

Formally identified the attacker now.

How about stopping IS leaders from being able to communicate with people in France? Why does e.g Twitter etc allow IS to use their service? Is it because the authorities prefer to be able to monitor? Never understood why they don't just shut down the Internet into ISIS controlled areas. Presume there is some reason but if messages are inspiring these acts then surely stopping the message would be important?

Formally identified the attacker now.

They'd just transport their "message" to another country to get it out as Bin Laden and his people used to do from their caves.

They'd just transport their "message" to another country to get it out as Bin Laden and his people used to do from their caves.

Fair enough but it's about as mainstream as they come at the minute. Twitter certainly should be nowhere near them, quite surprised to hear that they are, actually.

Bound to be something they can do with respect of the internet, although you'd likely need full international agreement on it. At this point I'd support an internet dead zone around all ISIS controlled or influenced territories.

Fair enough but it's about as mainstream as they come at the minute. Twitter certainly should be nowhere near them, quite surprised to hear that they are, actually.

Bound to be something they can do with respect of the internet, although you'd likely need full international agreement on it. At this point I'd support an internet dead zone around all ISIS controlled or influenced territories.

It'd have the added bonus of putting off westerners joining them. "Raping women, torturing infidels. Get in! What, no internet? Fuck this for a game of soldiers" .

More seriously though, I'm sure I heard somewhere that's it's not an easy thing to do technically. I personally doubt it'd do much good now anyway. Europe is infected at source, in its own communities. It's not going to stop now. Having said that, worth giving it a go if it's possible I suppose.

It'd have the added bonus of putting off westerners joining them. "Raping women, torturing infidels. Get in! What, no internet? Fuck this for a game of soldiers" .

More seriously though, I'm sure I heard somewhere that's it's not an easy thing to do technically. I personally doubt it'd do much good now anyway. Europe is infected at source, in its own communities. It's not going to stop now. Having said that, worth giving it a go if it's possible I suppose.

Also each attack reviewed in detail on 24 hour news worldwide is the biggest advert they could hope for.

That bit is definitely true, although maybe it also puts people off. You never know. Hard to look at this from any angle and consider it as something to be glorified, I would think.

I personally think there are two types of Islamic terrorists. Those at the top who are just sick cunts who get visceral pleasure from seeing people die and the power it gives them and those at the bottom who have been brain washed into this kind of act and who have probably never read the whole of the quran.

That bit is definitely true, although maybe it also puts people off. You never know. Hard to look at this from any angle and consider it as something to be glorified, I would think.

You'd be wrong. Just look at what Chez posted.

You'd be wrong. Just look at what Chez posted.

Sorry yes, I know I'm wrong automatically by virtue of the fact that these things keep happening - badly worded. I meant that I wonder if there are some potential terrorists who look at the devastation from the fall out of this sort of chaos and just think 'fuck it, not going to be responsible for that'.

Ultimately though, if they weren't getting the attention, it probably wouldn't be happening. Fair enough.

Their message doesn't get out because of mass atrocities once every 6 months. Their message disseminates through the Internet and it's a complex message based on complex propaganda. Not 'ha ha we blew everyone up and they can't stop us, look at the terror on their faces'. That's not the message and it's the message that is the problem.

Frank Partridge on BBC world says the biggest problems are young Moslems in France being jailed for petty crime and coming out fully fledged jihadists. Also mentions French basically stopping Islamists taking over complelty in Mali and easy access to France for these bstrds due to EU open borders...

Edited by PaddockLad

Their message doesn't get out because of mass atrocities once every 6 months. Their message disseminates through the Internet and it's a complex message based on complex propaganda. Not 'ha ha we blew everyone up and they can't stop us, look at the terror on their faces'. That's not the message and it's the message that is the problem.

Their message gets out in lots of ways. The warning in April of planned summer attacks in Southern France, Italy and Costa de sol came from Africa.

The point about the news coverage (not that I'm suggesting it's blocked), is that it will be celebrated by ISIS terrorists / wannabes all around the world and allows them to see how easy it was carried out and how devastating the results.

I must confess I'd never given any thought to this type of attack or how horrific the casualties could be. Likewise their will be terrorists who can't get hold of automatic weapons but can easily get their hands on a lorry.

I'm not meaning to argue about this btw, I've stayed on promenade des Anglais and loved the place and just feel very pissed off this morning.

It's got to the point where, when I heard about this, I didn't even want to hear the deatails. It's impossible not to anyway but it's just so depressing.

Their message gets out in lots of ways. The warning in April of planned summer attacks in Southern France, Italy and Costa de sol came from Africa.

The point about the news coverage (not that I'm suggesting it's blocked), is that it will be celebrated by ISIS terrorists / wannabes all around the world and allows them to see how easy it was carried out and how devastating the results.

I must confess I'd never given any thought to this type of attack or how horrific the casualties could be. Likewise their will be terrorists who can't get hold of automatic weapons but can easily get their hands on a lorry.

I'm not meaning to argue about this btw, I've stayed on promenade des Anglais and loved the place and just feel very pissed off this morning.

Aye, I can remember my driving instructor warning me that a car is a lethal weapon and it turns out he's right. Impossible to stop crimes like this if the person is motivated. Always wondered what's to stop someone dropping a concrete sleeper onto a high speed railway line too. Plenty of low tech ways to massacre people.

So we can't stop the method, but what about the motive? What's to be done, seriously?

You're right. How can this not be newsworthy though? I appreciate you're not arguing it shouldn't be, of course.

Their message is not the attacks, it's the complex propaganda and some efforts could be made to stop that. Warnings of attacks are not the message either.