Gigs 2024

catmag

15 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Can't help but wonder how many "volunteers" they're hoping to recruit for this £150 "deposit" given actually full weekend camping tickets are only £210.

The cheeky bastard :lol:

8 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

“As of 2009, Murray was executive chairman of Atholl Energy Ltd[47] and chairman of Westminster Development Ltd, a gold mining company, both operating in Accra, Ghana”

Nothing to see here, move along. :lol:

( I bet he takes a “deposit” off his grafters in case they don’t finish their shifts). 

16 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

“As of 2009, Murray was executive chairman of Atholl Energy Ltd[47] and chairman of Westminster Development Ltd, a gold mining company, both operating in Accra, Ghana”

Nothing to see here, move along. :lol:

( I bet he takes a “deposit” off his grafters in case they don’t finish their shifts). 

"Human rights campaigner" Craig Murray. Bless him, he's just covering for his sons failures with this escapade. 

On 20/02/2023 at 02:30, sammynb said:

Saw Carcass here in Sydney in the early 90s with a mate who is the guitarist in a well know Australian stoner band and it was one of the weirdest gigs I’ve been too.

As someone who was use to pogoing and moshpits, everyone at the Carcass gig seemed to have their own personal space that no one else was allowed in.

I don’t remember anyone even bugging my mate, which at the time was weird as they had just toured as the support for Nirvana - strange folk those grindcore fans!

Carcass were great btw.

Similar affair tonight. Sold out, absolutely rammed tiny venue, sweat dripping off ceiling but everyone respecting each others space. Weird bunch Carcass fans but the band were in good form.

Bill is a god-tier guitarist in my book. I'm still convinced he's a lefty, but either way he's a blues guy that carved out some extreme metal sub-genres and deserves a lot more credit and recognition. 

• Like 1

On 28/05/2023 at 01:58, Blastronaut said:

Similar affair tonight. Sold out, absolutely rammed tiny venue, sweat dripping off ceiling but everyone respecting each others space. Weird bunch Carcass fans but the band were in good form.

Bill is a god-tier guitarist in my book. I'm still convinced he's a lefty, but either way he's a blues guy that carved out some extreme metal sub-genres and deserves a lot more credit and recognition. 

Popped into the Cluny today and they still had the Carcass merch table set up

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Popped into the Cluny today and they still had the Carcass merch table set up

Probably trying to make up for the early curfew in Glasgow. Hope you bought a t-shirt. Seriously underrated band that deserve a lot more recognition.

Had it in my head they were in Dundee last night? I was half tempted to go again. Sure they weren't setting up for tonight?

• 3 weeks later...

I've just seen Swans are touring the UK in August. If you haven't seen them before, I urge you too.

@Alex and the rest of you in Newcastle, they are at the Boiler Shop 15 August.

@Blastronaut Saint Lukes in Glasgow 16 August.

@PaddockLad @spongebob toonpants August 11 St George's Church Brighton

@Meenzer August 24 at the Troxy.

Just one thing, TAKE EARPLUGS!!!

I've seen Sonic Youth, MBV, Einsturzende Neubauten, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and NONE of them are as loud as Swans.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sammynb said:

I've just seen Swans are touring the UK in August. If you haven't seen them before, I urge you too.

@Alex and the rest of you in Newcastle, they are at the Boiler Shop 15 August.

@Blastronaut Saint Lukes in Glasgow 16 August.

@PaddockLad @spongebob toonpants August 11 St George's Church Brighton

@Meenzer August 24 at the Troxy.

Just one thing, TAKE EARPLUGS!!!

I've seen Sonic Youth, MBV, Einsturzende Neubauten, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and NONE of them are as loud as Swans.

Ah shit 16th is the day my oldest starts highschool and the youngest starts primary school. On the one hand it's the perfect time as they're both going to have so much to talk about when they get home. On the other hand, I really do not want to be....Fuck it actually that's perfect. I'm going. 

Sure I mentioned the Doune the Rabbit Hole festival grift here a few months back? That's it been formally cancelled, hearing all sold tickets won't be refunded. The "new owners" are taking action against Bectu for lower than expected ticket sales. Hilarious as everyone I knew thought the whole charade was a massive ponzi-style grift. Murray was just boasting about how well he was doing financially less than a week ago too. Fucking charlatans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Sure I mentioned the Doune the Rabbit Hole festival grift here a few months back? That's it been formally cancelled, hearing all sold tickets won't be refunded. The "new owners" are taking action against Bectu for lower than expected ticket sales. Hilarious as everyone I knew thought the whole charade was a massive ponzi-style grift. Murray was just boasting about how well he was doing financially less than a week ago too. Fucking charlatans.

Fucking music industry is full of grifters, from the top down. Feel sorry for those that have lost out on tickets, hope someone in that lot is pissed off enough and has enough clout/influence to take the promoter to the cleaners.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ah fucksticks. Just seen SWANS in Glasgow is sold out for tomorrow. 

In other news, Byker Grave is a pretty good name for a metal "festival". If any one local has a penchant for really old-school thrash metal I'd highly recommend seeing Hellripper live in early November. I caught them by accident last year in an absolute toilet of a venue, for my money they put the current crop of big mainstream thrash bands to absolute shame. 

1 hour ago, Blastronaut said:

Ah fucksticks. Just seen SWANS in Glasgow is sold out for tomorrow. 

In other news, Byker Grave is a pretty good name for a metal "festival". If any one local has a penchant for really old-school thrash metal I'd highly recommend seeing Hellripper live in early November. I caught them by accident last year in an absolute toilet of a venue, for my money they put the current crop of big mainstream thrash bands to absolute shame. 

Bugger but your hearing will probably thank you.

It's all gone a bit quiet here but thinks start up again from mid September.

54 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Bugger but your hearing will probably thank you.

It's all gone a bit quiet here but thinks start up again from mid September.

My hearing is already fucked mate. About an hour ago I could swear I heardl my other half talking about booking a slot for some kinda republican event. "Republicans. I'm booking a slot to pick republicans at the republican farm".

Panic over. It was pumpkins.  We're picking pumpkins at the pumpkin farm, fucking ages away for Halloween. 

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Had a blast of punk nostalgia last night with the Rezillos and the Undertones

Got to say it way exceeded my expectations, was great fun. 

We never really got the Rezillos over here but I've heard a bit on various Garry Crowley radio shows and meh!

But how good are the Undertones live? Even with Fergel light singing, he nails all the early songs.

Saw Ed Kuepper the other night, he's re-issued two of his early solo albums, Electrical Storm and Honey Steel's Gold and he was a great as always, good to see him with a full band once again.

Got the Descendants; Sorry; and a jazz type thing called Asteroid Ekosystem which Ed plays guitar in, all in October plus SXSW is in Sydney so might get to some of that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sammynb said:

We never really got the Rezillos over here but I've heard a bit on various Garry Crowley radio shows and meh!

But how good are the Undertones live? Even with Fergel light singing, he nails all the early songs.

Saw Ed Kuepper the other night, he's re-issued two of his early solo albums, Electrical Storm and Honey Steel's Gold and he was a great as always, good to see him with a full band once again.

Got the Descendants; Sorry; and a jazz type thing called Asteroid Ekosystem which Ed plays guitar in, all in October plus SXSW is in Sydney so might get to some of that.

Rezillos are great live, all out sci-fi punk pop attack. Last time I saw them must have been 43/44 years ago and it was like being in a cartoon

Back in late 70s early 80s the Undertones were far and away my favourite band, saw them many times and nobody could touch them live. 

Saw them in 2008ish when they first reformed but couldn't get over the lack of Feargal and considered it a bit karaoke and never thought I'd bother to see them again

Last night was a birthday present from my youngest, so I resolved to put my reservations aside. I went in viewing it as the Undertones being the band plus a singer. They opened with emergency cases then you've got my number and I was sold. After that it was just one stone cold classic after another.

The singer couldn't really pull off the later stuff, Wednesday Week and Love Parade were a bit weak, but the rest of it was pure family entertainment

All in all had an utter blast

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024