Gigs 2024

catmag

Scored a free ticket for Interpol on Sunday night.

Still undecided if I'll go see Brian Jonestown Massacre's last gig of their six month world tour, next Friday. Anton will be wound up like a fucking spring, so could be amazing or he could drop his guitar and fight everyone in the room - 50/50 bet knowing him.

Then Alvvays in a couple of weeks.

23 hours ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Honestly neither the hydro or the O2 Academy have bars nearby. Just go into town and hit the Bier Halle on Gordon street 

Lived round the corner from the Great Western Road branch years ago, was fucking devastated when it closed. Still frequent the one on Gordon St when we're in town.

That said, Lebowskis and Strip Joint are a stones throw from the Hydro if you're just needing a drink out there.

23 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Aye, we ended up getting some food in the Strip Joint and stayed for the duration. Good tunes, good food and early 90s wrestling on the telly. QOTSA were something else, mind. Their last two albums may have been middling but as a live band, they’re at their peak of their powers 

Food and beer in strip joint has always been braw in my experience. Their "record store" is  diminutive but always throws in the odd must have. If you want a good record store up this way get out of Glasgow and head to Europa in Stirling. Scotland's largest independent record shop. Ewan's been running the place for longer than I've been alive. It's a serious Aladdin's. den. 20 minute drive, half hour on the train. Don't settle for the front shop, check out the back room and be sure to ask what he's got showed away upstairs.

14 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Food and beer in strip joint has always been braw

I'm sorry but :lol:

Screenshot_20231119_150515_Google.jpg.28d2021e7d7c7e6379b598f675f922b3.jpg

Help ma boab. Here's me trying to foster the nihilistic phonetics of 90s Leith, and here's Blastronaut going post ww2 Dundee. Crivvens. 

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Help ma boab. Here's me trying to foster the nihilistic phonetics of 90s Leith, and here's Blastronaut going post ww2 Dundee. Crivvens. 

Jings! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Renton said:

That’s Gemmill at his Billy Strings gig. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Don't be sorry. Folk genuinely talk like that roon' here, ken? 

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Hey Renton, I see you've been up to Glasgow doing your grafitti. I spotted a Mel Gibson as Braveheart holding an EU flag. Your best work.

Speaking of Mel and Braveheart, one of the most universally loathed pieces of public art in Scotland once briefly took pride of place in the middle of my hometown. Check out this absolute monstrosity:

300px-William_Wallace_Statue.jpeg.609e86038954e9e39173bee9048b953e.jpeg

• Haha 3

I used to love The Broons and Oor Wullie. My granny used to get the Sunday Post (which was quite common for that generation round here). Also used to get the annuals for Xmas. Iirc they alternated so it was Oor Wullie one year then The Broons the next. Same lot that did The Dandy / Beano etc iirc. D C Thomson, also of Thomson House fame, The Journal etc. laters, lol

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I used to love The Broons and Oor Wullie. My granny used to get the Sunday Post (which was quite common for that generation round here). Also used to get the annuals for Xmas. Iirc they alternated so it was Oor Wullie one year then The Broons the next. Same lot that did The Dandy / Beano etc iirc. D C Thomson, also of Thomson House fame, The Journal etc. laters, lol

I've got a load of the annuals still. My mam remains convinced they will one day be worth a fortune.

I remember the Viz doing a skit of the Broons where the whole family was shitting it cos the kids reckoned the Granddad had said he was gonna have a fight. They gradually gathered everyone and hightailed it to his house, only to find he was having a shite.

• Haha 8

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was the same, my mam would sometimes ask my dad to get the Sunday post when he went for the papers. 

14 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've got a load of the annuals still. My mam remains convinced they will one day be worth a fortune.

I remember the Viz doing a skit of the Broons where the whole family was shitting it cos the kids reckoned the Granddad had said he was gonna have a fight. They gradually gathered everyone and hightailed it to his house, only to find he was having a shite.

I was just thinking about that Viz take on the broons. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye, there was always something one of them had overheard that was misconstrued. For some reason it sticks in my mind that one of the “wee’ans” had heard Dapne’s new boyfriend (I think) was of Polish and French descent. Leading to much consternation as to what they should serve him when he came round for his dinner. Only for him to turn out to be a French Polisher :lol: 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, there was always something one of them had overheard that was misconstrued. For some reason it sticks in my mind that one of the “wee’ans” had heard Dapne’s new boyfriend (I think) was of Polish and French descent. Leading to much consternation as to what they should serve him when he came round for his dinner. Only for him to turn out to be a French Polisher :lol: 

Classic Sopranos bit.

"the guy you're chasing, he was with the Interior Ministry. He killed 18 Chechen Rebels singlehandedly".

"you're not gonna believe this. Guy was an interior decorator. He killed 18 Czechoslovakians"

"His house looked like shit"

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Maggie Broon. Absolute MILF :lol: 

Had on, was she a single mother? So fucking weird. Hen, Joe, Daphne, Maggie, Horace, twins, bairn, Ma and Da. Ten of the sweaty buggers living in a 2 bed tenement. Could still afford a But and Ben holiday ho,e though even if it was a bothy.

Does anybody remember the Jocks and the Geordies? Vague recollections as to these 2 groups braying each other, can't remember the context of how this came about, or which comic it was in. Viz spoofed it as well iirc with the Bacons fighting their scottish counterparts.

• Haha 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Gigs 2024