Jonas Gutierrez and Ryan Taylor released

Haydnator

With Jonas Gutierrez trending in the UK on Twitter it seems that almost all supporters of all clubs have called the releasing of Gutierrez a disgrace, while others saying he wasn't good enough anyway, so this was the right decision. Among the other players released are Adam Campbell, Jak Alnwick, Remie Streete and Facundo Ferreyra.

Charnley statement:

"Ryan and Jonas have both contributed significantly to Newcastle United over a number of years and on behalf of the Board, I would like to place on record our sincere thanks to both players for the excellent service they have given the club.
"It was a great pleasure to see Ryan and Jonas come back into the team in recent weeks and compete at the highest level after the injury and illness battles they have had to overcome. To come through those difficult periods with such strength and dignity will have given hope and inspiration to many and it is clear that our supporters have a deep connection and affection for both players, as does everyone associated with the club."
What do you make of this?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam Campbell released too...?

Maybe the club is going to spend this summer...

On replacing the players gone. So we'll still probably have a threadbare squad next season.

Jonas was never my favourite player but is a proper pro and gave his all on the pitch.

I'm very happy that he has ended his career with us on such a high for himself personally.

That said, I would be disappointed if either player was starting for us next season.

Ryan Taylor was absolutely shite this season, half the player he was.

Jonas went out on a high, he deserves to play football and if that is not here then hopefully he'll find a decent club. Massive respect to the bloke and he has been a true servant to Newcastle and a modern day hero in my eyes and I'm sure I speak for many when I say thanks for your inspiration Jonas, good luck.

Probably because they aren't going to name one until after June. Also, Jonas and Taylor would have been on pretty sizeable contracts, way above what their worth to the team is. I think it makes sense in a business perspective, just don't think it was a hugely compassionate decision by the club with respect of Jonas. Hope he comes back some day in some capacity.

Don't care to much about Taylor leaving, he was never that good. Jonas still has plenty to give, fucking baffling decision to say the least.

Jonas was on 60 grand a week. At what level do you pay him if he is not going to be a first team regular and would he accept it. I would have kept him on in a coaching capacity (dependent on him getting his badges).

Should have kept Jonas as a squad player he could just about play in any position if asked. Also over the last few weeks when we really needed it has been the only one who showed real commitment to the team. I'm not that fussed about the others except i thought they may have kept hold of Campbell.

Releasing Jonas and giving Ameobi a new contract shows whats wrong with this club. Although technically not the most gifted of players he has fought back through ill health to win back his first team place. How do they reward him ? admittedly you can't run a team on sentiment but he's been the only player whose played with courage and conviction since he returned .

First mention I have seen about this.

The narrative does not always reflect well on Newcastle and his final parting shot was telling. It looked on Sunday as if he ran past John Carver, who he had fallen out with on the training ground, and shouted towards the directors box. There was anger along with the emotion that followed his win.

Still puzzled as to why the clear out has started before the new manager/head coach is named

because they're not getting a say in our transfers whoever it is anyway

Spot on. Nothing changes if nothing changes. And we'll keep getting the same old shit as long as Ashley is here.