Newcastle United V Southampton

Christmas Tree

We looked alright on the highlights. What a cross from oberpants and finish from wijnaldum. Grounds for optimism. Defence still looks ropey. Colo got skinned like he wasn't there at one point

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We looked alright on the highlights. What a cross from oberpants and finish from wijnaldum. Grounds for optimism. Defence still looks ropey. Colo got skinned like he wasn't there at one point

two times in a row actually, terrible defending, will somebody please mark your fuckin man!!

second goal for them was completely preventable.

Leave me alone, I've had a strange match day :(

When I booked the tickets I was planning a 10am fry up in that cafe under the Tyne bridge, lots of alcohol and a balti pie.

Due to a mare of a cold I had a banana, a costa cappuccino and found myself looking in a charity shop for a Hemmingway.

It's like some sort of parallel universe.

Ernest or Wayne?

I thought cabella, Perez and Aarons would all start ahead of obertan

Reckon Cabella and Aarons will when they're up to speed. Perez is an odd one, I don't think he'd be as effective playing the whole game out wide and I don't think he'll get picked ahead of Mitrovic & Cisse to play up front.

He had a cracking debut season and I'd hate for his progress to stall because on top of being a genuine prospect, he seems a really good kid.

Though Haidara had a poor game, dunno how much of that was because of playing behind Obertan, but it's surprising that we cannot find a left back of the same standard as Janmaat or Debuchy?

Is it that we can't find someone or that we won't pay decent wedge to get someone good? The defence has been a blind spot since we got promoted imo

We've been willing to spend £5m on Santon, Janmaat and Debuchy, £6.7m on Mbiwa and £7m on Mbemba?

If everyone was fit I'd be inclined to give Colback a run at LB.

Wouldn't we miss him in the centre of the park? Or would you play Tiote & Anita?

Wouldn't we miss him in the centre of the park? Or would you play Tiote & Anita?

Just think we've loads of potential options in the middle but are weak there. I mean, Wijnaldum could play a bit deeper (especially assuming De Jong is staying and will be involved more), Sissoko could play in there too. Think Colback played well but is essentially quite limited. I think Tiote and Anita behind Wijnaldum definitely has some potential. I liked Haidara when he first arrived but he's struggled since that bad injury. It's understandable but I wonder if he'll ever make it here now. Think Dummett is a better centre-back than a full-back.

Though Haidara had a poor game, dunno how much of that was because of playing behind Obertan, but it's surprising that we cannot find a left back of the same standard as Janmaat or Debuchy?

He was no where near his man for the second to close down the cross but for the first it was delivered by the right back.

Haidara had gone infield with Tadic but Obertan who you would expect to track the fullback was miles infield with Colback and Anita not and wasn't really doing anything/marking anyone which gave Cedric loads of room.

We've been willing to spend £5m on Santon, Janmaat and Debuchy, £6.7m on Mbiwa and £7m on Mbemba?

Yes but it's all bits and pieces isn't it? Janmaat was Debuchys replacement and we sold Santon and gave his place to Haidara. Mbemba is Yangas replacement turned up a season late. If we had Santon and Janmaat plus Mbemba plus another decent CB then we might have a decent unit.

As it is we still have 3 CBs who played in the championship plus Haidara/Dummett on the left. Yet we wont spend the money (say another 15m?) to really improve the defence.

Yes but it's all bits and pieces isn't it? Janmaat was Debuchys replacement and we sold Santon and gave his place to Haidara. Mbemba is Yangas replacement turned up a season late. If we had Santon and Janmaat plus Mbemba plus another decent CB then we might have a decent unit.

As it is we still have 3 CBs who played in the championship plus Haidara/Dummett on the left. Yet we wont spend the money (say another 15m?) to really improve the defence.

And we sold Enrique in that period.

The team we could have built if we'd kept hold of the players is ridiculous.

Still reckon we'd spend £5m on a leftback if it represented a bargain.

I'm not confident with Haidara at all. Obertan in front of him and not having had a chance to build up a relationship over the summer with our two centrebacks certainly hasn't helped him but I'm not sure he's a good enough defender. We really should be looking for a player of a similar ability to Janmaat to bring in on the left.

Overall I was pretty happy with the performance yesterday though. We were moving around the ball much better than we have in years and Wijnaldum looks a player. Sissoko and Anita were much better than they have been in a long time too. In fact I think when Anita went off we lost our shape a lot and this was a major factor in us not winning (that and Geinie tiring). Tiote looked well off the pace but that is to be expected of a player who hasn't played since January and had fitness troubles this summer. The only negatives were the previously mentioned left side and our continued inability to defend a cross. But Mbemba has only just arrived (and immediately looks a significant upgrade on Williamson) and Colo hasn't been fit all summer so there is a reasonable hope that they can develop a partnership that can do well. I think they're going to have to because with Colo signing his new contract he's surely going to be the main man again.

Don't know if Sissoko took a knock or is desperately unfit?...he disappeared again after Anita got injured, didn't make himself available hardly at all. Overall we were good for 60-70 minutes but they've already had competitive football in Europe and it showed in the last quarter. To say that the opening goal was against the run of play is an understatement tbh, we bossed the first half but didn't create many clear cut chances. Very encouraging though.

Don't know if Sissoko took a knock or is desperately unfit?...he disappeared again after Anita got injured, didn't make himself available hardly at all. Overall we were good for 60-70 minutes but they've already had competitive football in Europe and it showed in the last quarter. To say that the opening goal was against the run of play is an understatement tbh, we bossed the first half but didn't create many clear cut chances. Very encouraging though.

Aye while the europa league will be an issue for them further down the road, at this stage of the season it's benefiting them. They looked a lot fitter than us later in the game.

Was someone on here sat in at the back of the south east corner? Someone behind me tried to start "mbemba is a Geordie" (to the tune of "remember your a womble") am sure I read something like that on here? Whoever it was they didn't have any takers but I think with a bit of work at Swansea next week it could catch on :D