Newcastle United V Southampton

Christmas Tree

Agree with that. Said it last year that we need to play to our strengths. Defending was not our strength last year and Pardew (then Carver) invited pressure way too much.

We appear to be playing a high pressing game, which is reassuring, but I'd be going into the next four games with much more confidence if the 3 new lads had been involved in all of pre-season, Mbemba especially. I reckon it takes longer for a defender to grow accustomed to the league. Forwards can get by, by virtue of being an unknown quantity, whereas a defender has to face fresh challenges and build an understanding with his defensive unit.

A goal from a forward can go a long way to getting them settled too. Of course it can work the other way if they can't score mind. Look at Riviere last season, he couldn't get an early goal and he never seemed to really settle. Tomasson is another player who had that happen. It doesn't work like that for defenders, they don't have something like scoring a goal to kick start their career at their new club.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sorted our briefs out for Southampton. No one seems to be saying we'll win. I think we will, they're not shite, but they're more than beatable. Hope he starts with the three new boys, an opening day hattrick for Mitrovic. Losing Schneiderlain will be a massive hit in the heart for the saints, he was their best player for 3 years and now I guarantee that will hurt them and how many points they get.

Lost me fatha this year and I had a dream last week with him saying we'd win 2-1, so that's what I'm hoping for.

Just sorted our briefs out for Southampton. No one seems to be saying we'll win. I think we will, they're not shite, but they're more than beatable. Hope he starts with the three new boys, an opening day hattrick for Mitrovic. Losing Schneiderlain will be a massive hit in the heart for the saints, he was their best player for 3 years and now I guarantee that will hurt them and how many points they get.

Lost me fatha this year and I had a dream last week with him saying we'd win 2-1, so that's what I'm hoping for.

New undercrackers for a new regime?

Apparently the talk in the chronicle yesterday was that Williamson and Taylor are likely to start in the centre. That's virtually a guaranteed loss then!

Definitely our "achilles heal"

Colo, Cabella & Tiote all in full training today. Hopefully that's a positive for Colo for Sunday but I'd still be surprised if he's any more than on the bench.

I think it's a positive sign their transfer deals have fallen through ;)

I don't think Colo, Tiote or Cabella have played any pre season games I don't expect any of them to be ready for Sunday. Today's run out has probably just been for the fans that turned up, those tickets won't sell themselves you know.

Isn't it mostly sold out for Sunday already?

Aye when I looked through the other day there were few very areas that had two seats together. Bound to be a full house.

Can't understand how I didn't have to be a member to get tickets either.