Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

Fuck me, what an utter wankfest by Radio 5 last night.  Wanking over 'Great' Leeds and how the Leeds v Liverpool game was a great battle.  Fuck me, it was some of the Bin Dippers Bairns playing.  What is it with the media and the wank fest of Leeds?

So now we're implicated in this paedo nonsense, on a separate claim...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/24/george-ormond

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/30/david-eatock-abuse-newcastle-united?CMP=share_btn_tw

Feels like it merits its own thread by now, but I'm not sure what any of us can really say about it other than it's utterly grim.

860 (presumably) footballers have contacted them over the past few days. That's a fucking mental number. What on earth has been going on??

It's starting to look like this is an endemic problem in British organisations of days (not so long ago) gone by - football, the BBC, the fucking government - seriously, what the fuck?

Edited by Rayvin

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/30/david-eatock-abuse-newcastle-united?CMP=share_btn_tw

Feels like it merits its own thread by now, but I'm not sure what any of us can really say about it other than it's utterly grim.

I think before the world went PC mad, there were unfortunately vast tracts of areas of life involving kids that were probably prone to these abuses.

You just have to hope one of the things that has got better over the last 20 years is that there's less of it as we've become more aware and open about it.

860 (presumably) footballers have contacted them over the past few days. That's a fucking mental number. What on earth has been going on??

It's starting to look like this is an endemic problem in British organisations of days (not so long ago) gone by - football, the BBC, the fucking government - seriously, what the fuck?

I think we're going to discover that paedos are far, far more common than thought, unfortunately.

And I doubt it's a British problem, it's going to be uncovered everywhere as we become a more progressive society.

I think we're going to discover that paedos are far, far more common than thought, unfortunately.

And I doubt it's a British problem, it's going to be uncovered everywhere as we become a more progressive society.

I think it's an area that could do with more study altogether given that the research seems to suggest that there might be a genetic component to being predispositioned to sexual urges in this sense - If this is true it would explain its prevalence I suppose; I think Germany has a voluntary chemical castration process for people this way inclined - and while that's uncomfortable for us to think about, I'd far rather these people were open about their urges and able to get help for it than the risk of leaving them to their own devices. That said, I'm struggling to believe that the issue for a lot of the perpetrators here isn't just that they're opportunistic and depraved.

I guess it's worth keeping in mind though that, especially in this case, the perpetrators likely had many victims - which makes the problem look more severe (in terms of the number of perpetrators - clearly it remains severe in terms of the number of victims) than it actually is.

It was 860 calls rather than 860 individual claims.

I wondered about that point too but then I struggled to think why there would be multiple phone calls on the same claim... fully appreciate I could be missing something though.

I think it's an area that could do with more study altogether given that the research seems to suggest that there might be a genetic component to being predispositioned to sexual urges in this sense - If this is true it would explain its prevalence I suppose; I think Germany has a voluntary chemical castration process for people this way inclined - and while that's uncomfortable for us to think about, I'd far rather these people were open about their urges and able to get help for it than the risk of leaving them to their own devices. That said, I'm struggling to believe that the issue for a lot of the perpetrators here isn't just that they're opportunistic and depraved.

I guess it's worth keeping in mind though that, especially in this case, the perpetrators likely had many victims - which makes the problem look more severe (in terms of the number of perpetrators - clearly it remains severe in terms of the number of victims) than it actually is.

I've always though that "proper" paedophilia ie wanting to have sex with prepubescents is so wrong it must be something genetic or similar. That doesn't excuse it but it should be considered.

I sometimes think that people who use positions of authority and fame to mess with older kids are in a way worse - though there's a common thread of intimidation, bullying and terror involved.

I've always though that "proper" paedophilia ie wanting to have sex with prepubescents is so wrong it must be something genetic or similar. That doesn't excuse it but it should be considered.

I sometimes think that people who use positions of authority and fame to mess with older kids are in a way worse - though there's a common thread of intimidation, bullying and terror involved.

Indeed. I recall reading a truly surprising comment on the Guardian from someone who identified as a paedophile, but had never acted on it and understood that it was wrong to do so. This individual also talked of their despair at how society closed doors on people like him at every turn, making it very difficult to get help or assistance, psychologically. Then again, I remain amazed that anyone would even make that confession, even anonymously, on a public forum - so maybe society isn't as closed off to them as it once was.

As adios says, I think we're on the cusp of discovering just how prevalent a mindset it is.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a heavy genetic component to, as you say, 'proper' paedophiles.

Ephebophilia is far murkier territory.

I think he was originally like because he's been on the telly for fucking ages, long before he retired from playing. I seem to remember him being on during the 82 World Cup.

• Guest locked this topic