West Ham United v Newcastle United 14/9/15 20:00 KO (On Sky)

Haydnator

Really disappointing stuff.

Starting to think we may fear this Anita Colback partnership as much as Gouffran and Williamson last year. I give Colback credit for effort last year but his inadequacies have become painfully obvious already this season. No point wasting space on two people who cant do anything other than make 5 yard passes ffs. Get Perez/De Jong in there and move Wijnaldum into CM.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Send out the front 6 like this next time. It might not work against the top clubs but we're at home to Watford ffs!

Aarons ---- Wijnaldum----Sissoko-----Thauvin

-----------------------Perez-----de Jong.

Perez needs to start against Watford no doubt. Think de Jong should start as well. Wijnaldum seemed invisible. I think they've put some good pieces together, but I think the glaringly obvious point now is that McClaren and his staff do not have the system sorted properly or that he has not gotten the team to understand or believe in the system.... Or it's the wrong system. I think this is fundamentally a coaching problem at this point.

Wijnaldum is invisible because of the system he is playing in. He looked the business against Southampton as we played a lot more positively, Mcclaren is nulifying our attacking capabilities, just like Pardew did. Why buy them if your not going to use them? It doesn't make any sense.

been screamin for 12 months that cisse should be sold. Hes incapable of doing anything outside the box. atmo hes even out of form and cant do anything in the box (unless its blonde).

I dont see this improving till jan and panic buys. Seems to have dawned on the new lads how hard this league is and they look shit scared.

West Ham won't have an easier game this season. Watch the lack of movement when we do have the ball, it's woeful, we're so static.

Definitely need more from the front 3. de Jong might not be rapid, but he does find spaces and Perez is a much better option to Cisse as a pivot.

Is it too early to put us among the relegation favourites?

Yes. Jesus wept.

No pattern as far as I can see. This game was characterised by West Ham playing on the break, not us sitting back and inviting pressure. We have consistently lacked a goal threat up front all season and it looks like it's an issue.

Yep, we had >60% possession and West Ham were happy to cede that. The early goal allowed them to play as the away team, with us committing men forward. Those men being unwilling to chase back left us at risk.

The pattern is the constant failure with his tactics, there's a reason we are bottom of the league having only scored twice.

West Ham's defence that started the game are chronically slow, starting with Aarons and Perez would have exploited that.

There's a few reasons that we're bottom of the league; one is that it's only 5 games in and we've had the hardest start in the league. Add to that the goal threat we shelled out for got a daft dismissal and our "big" players are yet to produce.

It's a bit early for Carragher to be writing off our summer signings.

Aye, I think that was a bit lazy, Thauvin was the only one on the pitch today that I would say under-performed. Wijnaldum needs movement around him and someone to consistently give him the ball. The front 3 were static and the defensive midfielders didn't dominate the centre as they should have.

McClaren seems to be blaming the transport situation. He's just said three times that he doesn't want to blame that factor, so that's clearly what he's getting at.

I'm getting sick of this management deflecting criticism from players bollocks, it's all shite.

I think he was just responding to the interviewer's questions. There's no real value in calling the players shit when really we've only played badly in 1 1/2 games thus far.

Agree with what most people have said on here, Cisse can't lead the line, but I don't think that necessarily means we can't play a 4-3-2-1/4-5-1. I think de Jong, Mitrovic and Perez could all lead the line (in different ways) as long as they get the right kind of support or service for their style of play. No point in lumping high balls for Perez, or playing it behind for de Jong to chase.

I don't see the value in Thauvin yet. He was good against Northampton, but that says nothing. He doesn't produce in the final 3rd, he doesn't get defenders to commit, he doesn't look like he has a lot of pace, Hell, he doesn't even work as hard as Cabella. I'm not writing him off, but at least with Ben Arfa and Cabella I could see their promise.

Anita and Colback are a concern, I'd personally play one of Wijnaldum and Sissoko beside Anita. Anita on the left hand side to help out Haidara (who is getting loads of abuse when he wasn't anywhere near our worst performers last night, which makes me think he's going to be the scapegoat this season) MS/GW driving forward to link up with whomever is playing off the striker.

We need both a result, and importantly an attacking performance against Watford. But it's not time to be pissing our pants about relegation just yet.

The defensive midfielders would struggle to dominate an under 15 team.

It's a shame because Anita would be a much better player if he wasn't so tiny. Put him inside Sissoko's body and you'd have a decent defensive monster.

There were no goals in that team last night. Thauvin ws a 1 in 4 man for Marseille. Sissoko will get about 5 per season. Anita and Colback will get 1 or 2 and we've barely had a defender score from a set piece in years.

Cisse will put the ball in the net if you give him service and Gini will help out but other than that you just cant see where the goals are coming from.

I'd be tempted to play both Aarons and Perez against Watford as they are pacey and offer a goal threat. De Jong is also good for a goal so he has to be contention. Big game against Watford. If we don't win then we are in a bit of trouble.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Definitely need more from the front 3. de Jong might not be rapid, but he does find spaces and Perez is a much better option to Cisse as a pivot.

Yes. Jesus wept.

Yep, we had >60% possession and West Ham were happy to cede that. The early goal allowed them to play as the away team, with us committing men forward. Those men being unwilling to chase back left us at risk.

There's a few reasons that we're bottom of the league; one is that it's only 5 games in and we've had the hardest start in the league. Add to that the goal threat we shelled out for got a daft dismissal and our "big" players are yet to produce.

Aye, I think that was a bit lazy, Thauvin was the only one on the pitch today that I would say under-performed. Wijnaldum needs movement around him and someone to consistently give him the ball. The front 3 were static and the defensive midfielders didn't dominate the centre as they should have.

I think he was just responding to the interviewer's questions. There's no real value in calling the players shit when really we've only played badly in 1 1/2 games thus far.

Agree with what most people have said on here, Cisse can't lead the line, but I don't think that necessarily means we can't play a 4-3-2-1/4-5-1. I think de Jong, Mitrovic and Perez could all lead the line (in different ways) as long as they get the right kind of support or service for their style of play. No point in lumping high balls for Perez, or playing it behind for de Jong to chase.

I don't see the value in Thauvin yet. He was good against Northampton, but that says nothing. He doesn't produce in the final 3rd, he doesn't get defenders to commit, he doesn't look like he has a lot of pace, Hell, he doesn't even work as hard as Cabella. I'm not writing him off, but at least with Ben Arfa and Cabella I could see their promise.

Anita and Colback are a concern, I'd personally play one of Wijnaldum and Sissoko beside Anita. Anita on the left hand side to help out Haidara (who is getting loads of abuse when he wasn't anywhere near our worst performers last night, which makes me think he's going to be the scapegoat this season) MS/GW driving forward to link up with whomever is playing off the striker.

We need both a result, and importantly an attacking performance against Watford. But it's not time to be pissing our pants about relegation just yet.

Is there a sub editor in the house?

I'm so sick of watching such turgid football. It's been like these for about three seasons now. I had high hopes McClaren might make us worth watching at the very least but it looks like he's got his work cut out there too.

You can see were this is going if this continues its OK saying well we're bottom but it's only 5 games in will we be saying that after 10 or 15 games. I get the point were it's new management new players etc but don't forget we played 7 pre season games so these players & the manager should know each other fairly well by now. I must admit I was disappointed when McClaren was appointed on the 3rd time of asking I thought he was a sideways step to Pardew I may be a million miles wrong and things might start clicking together and working. But up to now I'm unimpressed unless something changes quickly I can see us in a similar situation to last season or even worse.

Edited by trooper

I'm so sick of watching such turgid football. It's been like these for about three seasons now. I had high hopes McClaren might make us worth watching at the very least but it looks like he's got his work cut out there too.

On the fipside, he's still getting to grips with the team and is trying to work out 3 years of dogshit coaching. That takes more than 5 games.

Alan Shearer on Twitter:

“Only one team wanted to win this game and they did. Very poor from NUFC Well done WHUFC.

“One shot on target in the last month for NUFC and today is no better in the final third.”

Having to read you reply to half the board in one post. Two early in the morning to even start trying

:lol: Fair enough.

You can see were this is going if this continues its OK saying well we're bottom but it's only 5 games in will we be saying that after 10 or 15 games. I get the point were it's new management new players etc but don't forget we played 7 pre season games so these players & the manager should know each other fairly well by now. I must admit I was disappointed when McClaren was appointed on the 3rd time of asking I thought he was a sideways step to Pardew I may be a million miles wrong and things might start clicking together and working. But up to now I'm unimpressed unless something changes quickly I can see us in a similar situation to last season or even worse.

We've played well in our previous games.

Put it this way, look at the results we've had, then look at Aston Villa, sunderland and Stoke. They've had a worse start than ourselves, imo. Also, we had 1pt and a Goal Difference of -5 from these fixtures last season.

Alan Shearer on Twitter:

“Only one team wanted to win this game and they did. Very poor from NUFC Well done WHUFC.

“One shot on target in the last month for NUFC and today is no better in the final third.”

Sounds like the side when he was managing it.

The table says we're worse than them were do you draw the line ? 10 games 15 games it's OK playing well we may play well all season but if we don't pick up enough points we'll be relegated

Are you talking about sacking McLaren already? Have a word, man.