Holidays 2024

McFaul

I've been off work this week, but spent it at home project managing the final part of my house extension. Fucking builders man.  Anyways, managed to get ill last week so not even felt well enough to get out on the bike, but managed a few walks locally. 

Week before Christmas we have 4 days in the Lakes, cannot wait.  Bag a couple of walks all being well, country boozer, pint and good food.

We have ten days booked in Les Arcs in March too.  Fucking snow there at moment looks mega, probably melted by March though.  https://en.lesarcs.com/webcams-1

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

I've been off work this week, but spent it at home project managing the final part of my house extension. Fucking builders man.  Anyways, managed to get ill last week so not even felt well enough to get out on the bike, but managed a few walks locally. 

Week before Christmas we have 4 days in the Lakes, cannot wait.  Bag a couple of walks all being well, country boozer, pint and good food.

We have ten days booked in Les Arcs in March too.  Fucking snow there at moment looks mega, probably melted by March though.  https://en.lesarcs.com/webcams-1

#FirstWorldProblems ;) 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye, builders man. Were they managing just fine until you took a week off?

As an aside, I'm also ill as fuck and we're now flitting again tomorrow, 3 days notice. Second time in a year, four kids in tow. It's bittersweet. We've wanted away from here and have something better but weren't banking on blindsided by it happening at such short notice. 

Holidays? Fuck, our car is still sat in an industrial estate with no gearbox, halfway to our last holiday destination.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Aye, builders man. Were they managing just fine until you took a week off?

As an aside, I'm also ill as fuck and we're now flitting again tomorrow, 3 days notice. Second time in a year, four kids in tow. It's bittersweet. We've wanted away from here and have something better but weren't banking on blindsided by it happening at such short notice. 

Holidays? Fuck, our car is still sat in an industrial estate with no gearbox, halfway to our last holiday destination.

Good luck mate!

• Thanks 1

Cheers man. Got the word on Wednesday, I think I was up so late packing and shitting it I might still have been seriously drunk doing the school run on Thursday morning. I'm not even totally convinced I've actually slept since. 

Bulk of it is done, this is our last night here. Only glaring thing outstanding is giving the current neighbours a heads up that folk in hazmat suits will likely be out in the next few weeks to tear out the asbestos panels. 

7 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

What do you need done? I probably know someone who can come from Manchester and you wouldn’t need to use yorkshire cunts. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, strawb said:

What do you need done? I probably know someone who can come from Manchester and you wouldn’t need to use yorkshire cunts. 

Cheers Strawb. Bulk is done it's the snagging that's a pain. Was told weeks ago 'chill it will get done and by end of Oct we will be out of your hair' they're still here. But it's slowly getting done. 

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Cheers Strawb. Bulk is done it's the snagging that's a pain. Was told weeks ago 'chill it will get done and by end of Oct we will be out of your hair' they're still here. But it's slowly getting done. 

That’s always the worst bit mate, getting them back when they’ve left site is a fucking ballache 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Just got back from 12nights in Orlando. Nice weather and the bairn loved the theme parks, but fuck me, the £ is worth nowt abroad these days 

Think it's more the US is just much more expensive than it was. I remember in the 90s you could dine like a king on a relative pittance. Now, not so much. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye, it could still be that and you'd be out of pocket is what I meant. There's not a lot of cheap places now regardless of exchange rates which are also invariably shit. 

I wouldn't say it was exact but I noticed a lot of the prices for food and drink roughly matched up with here when I went, so for example a meal was ten quid here, it was ten dollars there so the exchange rate really did come into play for me. 

Aye the £ is much weaker but my parents went fairly consistently over the last 30 or 40 years for their hols before covid. And Florida in that time has gone from being dirt cheap to being quite expensive. I haven’t been since I was in my teens but almost everything used to be the same or less in dollars as it was in pounds. When it was about $2 to £1. I think Florida was relatively inexpensive by US standards too and that’s no longer the case. 

Been looking at booking New York next Christmas for a few days. Was thinking about booking the home alone package at the Plaza for one night. You get a limousine ride round New York with a cheese pizza and a 16 scoop ice cream Sunday when you get back. 

Turns out it's $3000 :lol: 

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024