Holidays 2024

McFaul

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We got thunderstorms yesterday. Cooled the place down so it was "only" a low of 18 degrees overnight.

All I want to do is Shawshank in the back garden

Raining The Shawshank Redemption GIF

90% humidity man, it's inhumane.

We were at Seaburn beach from 7.30am with the paddle boards and kayak. I even ended up doing a bit of swimming in the sea and once the initial cold shock was over it was fantastic.

Packed up at around 2 as the red arrows showed their appreciation of my sea skills.

Only thing that spoiled the day was seeing photos of my man boobs when I got home. Diet started.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Surely that can't have come as a shock. 🙂 

Hell of a shock tbh :lol:  I knew I’d put a bit of beef on since my hols, but it’s not til you see a semi naked side view and realise they’d look canny on a lass. :lol: 

Edited by Christmas Tree
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Greece now and not quite fully depressed yet. We were smack dab in the middle of two towns, Kallithea and Afitos. The former was supposed to be very lively but COVID/inflation has obviously kicked the arse out of it. Lots of empty store fronts and the bars were pretty much dead outside of the beach bars full of knackers. Afitos, though, was absolutely stunning. A completely picturesque, old Greek town with outstanding food (had a mind-blowing seafood platter overlooking the coastline at the peak of the village), cool as fuck, laid back bars in the square and the kind of blart that you just don’t get here. I’d well recommend a week in the place if you’re looking at Greece. Will take you an hour from Thessaloniki airport but it’s absolutely lush. Also had the strongest Old Fashioned I’ve ever had in my life in one of the cocktail bars. I don’t know how I didn’t go blind. 5 star location 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Nice one, sounds class. I haven't been abroad since pre pandemic and I'm pretty desperate for it now. Need my dogshit job situation to work itself out one way or another first though.

Ah, man. Sorry to hear about that. Hope you get sorted soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Back from Greece now and not quite fully depressed yet. We were smack dab in the middle of two towns, Kallithea and Afitos. The former was supposed to be very lively but COVID/inflation has obviously kicked the arse out of it. Lots of empty store fronts and the bars were pretty much dead outside of the beach bars full of knackers. Afitos, though, was absolutely stunning. A completely picturesque, old Greek town with outstanding food (had a mind-blowing seafood platter overlooking the coastline at the peak of the village), cool as fuck, laid back bars in the square and the kind of blart that you just don’t get here. I’d well recommend a week in the place if you’re looking at Greece. Will take you an hour from Thessaloniki airport but it’s absolutely lush. Also had the strongest Old Fashioned I’ve ever had in my life in one of the cocktail bars. I don’t know how I didn’t go blind. 5 star location 

Welcome back. Feels like you've had 6 weeks holiday. Now get back to work. 

And good luck Gemmill dealing with whatever work shit stuff you have.  I hardly know anyone who is happy at work at the moment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Renton said:

Welcome back. Feels like you've had 6 weeks holiday. Now get back to work. 

And good luck Gemmill dealing with whatever work shit stuff you have.  I hardly know anyone who is happy at work at the moment. 

Aye, it’s been years since I’ve had a fortnight break and it felt like I was there for fucking ages :lol: The bank balance knows about it as well. 

And, hope you can get something sorted, Gemmill. I was in the same boat last year and as much as you try and not let it bother you, it’s nigh on impossible 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Anyone guess where I'm off to in a couple of hours time?

IMG_20230923_141632.thumb.jpg.90cd62684bb1d859096d35e5faa4f36a.jpg

That's right! Whitley Bay to pick the bairn up from work. :good:

I’ve been a few times with the family so if you want any tips on where’s good just ask. :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve been a few times with the family so if you want any tips on where’s good just ask. :lol:

Saw the beer in Sainsbury's, thought I'd give it a go then looked at it properly when I got home just to see it's made in the UK. ....

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Having a short half term break. Was toss up between Keswick and Edinburgh but went for Edinburgh as the weather is a bit too iffy in the Lakes in October. Cancelled my Keswick hotel, booked my non-returnable train tickets to Edinburgh anf hotel. Very next click on my PC. Of course.

• Jaysus... 1

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

Having a short half term break. Was toss up between Keswick and Edinburgh but went for Edinburgh as the weather is a bit too iffy in the Lakes in October. Cancelled my Keswick hotel, booked my non-returnable train tickets to Edinburgh anf hotel. Very next click on my PC. Of course.

Look at it this way Rent, it could have happened when you were on the train, passing over that very spot - so on the positive side you're not lying under a train and rubble at the bottom of the Viaduct.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Look at it this way Rent, it could have happened when you were on the train, passing over that very spot - so on the positive side you're not lying under a train and rubble at the bottom of the Viaduct.

Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sammynb said:

I know. Thing is, it's indicative of infrastructure here after 13 years of cut backs. Things are no longer maintained properly, no wonder we can't build the new infrastructure we desperately need. One day there will be a terrible tragedy. 

Edit: just for reference, Plessey viaduct also crosses Plessey woods, a park area just south of Morpeth. When I was a kid I use to love walking there, listening to the trains thunder overhead. Thankfully also this happened at night otherwise someone could have been killed by falling slabs. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024