Holidays 2024

McFaul

11 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Just booked a trip to Germany and realised I'm going to be there for the Euro 2024 final, so that's England's chances knackered, sorry to anyone who cares :good: 

Any data on your presence in any given country affecting Scotland results? 🤨

28 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Just booked a trip to Germany and realised I'm going to be there for the Euro 2024 final, so that's England's chances knackered, sorry to anyone who cares :good: 

Proud Of You Yes GIF

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Any data on your presence in any given country affecting Scotland results? 🤨

"Me being alive" and "Scottish tournament failure" appear to correlate fairly closely, if that helps at all

• Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

"Me being alive" and "Scottish tournament failure" appear to correlate fairly closely, if that helps at all

Hmmm… I think I see some signs of correlation 🤓

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Off to Mexico in September for “Can You Eat and Drink Yourself to Death?” All inclusive so if anyone knows of any decent excursions/excursion providers around Riviera Maya, I’m all ears 

I've been to Cancun twice. Honeymooned there in 95 (was a child bride) and again I 2010. Cancun itself had deteriorated loads by then and the city, which had been bustling, was boarded up because of the rise of all inclusives, which was a bit sad. Outside of Cancun it's much more commercial than it was previously. 

I'd say must go places are Tulum which is frankly ridiculously beautiful (temple by the sea), Xel Ha, and Chitzen Itza. Although sorry Mr Millenial, you won't be allowed to ascend the great pyramid any more. (I'm old enough to have been in the crown of the statue of liberty, for free). 

I found Mexico VERY hot and couldn't avoid sunburn no matter how hard I tried. When we were in the jungle at Chitzen Itza, I drank 15 litres of water and still couldn't piss for 3 days. 

Edited by Renton

19 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I've been to Cozumel cos I'm a cut above Renton. 

I've been to both. Rents is right that Cancun itself has deteriorated especially noticeable given the time involved between visits which was 2001 then 2012 I think? We're planning on going back next year if we can for our 25th anniversary but can't see us venturing up the road to Cancun for a visit this time. 

10 hours ago, strawb said:

I know there is some Greece experts in here, recommendations pls 

What sort of holiday you after, mate? Also what time of year? 

11 hours ago, strawb said:

I know there is some Greece experts in here, recommendations pls 

kefalonia is my favourite island. i haven't been to mainland greece other than athens, which is well worth visiting.

parts of crete are also really beautiful - depends on what you're after. beach holiday? quiet family resort? island hopping? 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

What sort of holiday you after, mate? Also what time of year? 

I’ve only been to Rhodes, and had a few days in lindos too. Something similar but a different island maybe? 

I was in Crete last year which I thought was nice rather than spectacular. Though I didn't leave the Herkalion region so there may be nicer areas.

You’ve got loads of options from Manchester. You could do the Peloponnese. The Greeks are slightly perplexed by the obsession with the islands. As they think the mainland is just as nice. The one thing I would say is do a bit of research. I’ve only been to Greece once post-Covid (Corfu). I would say it’s obvious a few of the smaller resorts are on the bones of their arse and haven’t recovered yet. 
Crete is very beautiful and massive and varied. You can also holiday in the mountains there. Not just beach resorts. Heraklion isn’t the best advert for it. It’s a bit of a sprawling mess, in large part thanks to having had the fuck bombed out of it in WW2. Rethymno is much more attractive. Thing is with Crete is there are lots of ancient sites to visit if you get a bit bored with sitting around. The Minoan sites pre-date Ancient Greece. The other thing is the size makes it too big to see all of it unless you’re going for about a month or two. If you can be arsed it’s worth going to stay in an island without an airport. But then you have to factor in the extra time, as you’ll need to catch a ferry / hydrofoil too. Maybe too much if you’re only there for a week. But with that in mind, Symi (next to Rhodes) is an option. The best place I’ve stayed is Paxos. But again - no airport. Also the ionians have a longer, wetter winter. If you’re going September, further east / south is more likely to still be dry and hot. Another place I loved was Paleokastritsa (Corfu). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

You’ve got loads of options from Manchester. You could do the Peloponnese. The Greeks are slightly perplexed by the obsession with the islands. As they think the mainland is just as nice. The one thing I would say is do a bit of research. I’ve only been to Greece once post-Covid (Corfu). I would say it’s obvious a few of the smaller resorts are on the bones of their arse and haven’t recovered yet. 
Crete is very beautiful and massive and varied. You can also holiday in the mountains there. Not just beach resorts. Heraklion isn’t the best advert for it. It’s a bit of a sprawling mess, in large part thanks to having had the fuck bombed out of it in WW2. Rethymno is much more attractive. Thing is with Crete is there are lots of ancient sites to visit if you get a bit bored with sitting around. The Minoan sites pre-date Ancient Greece. The other thing is the size makes it too big to see all of it unless you’re going for about a month or two. If you can be arsed it’s worth going to stay in an island without an airport. But then you have to factor in the extra time, as you’ll need to catch a ferry / hydrofoil too. Maybe too much if you’re only there for a week. But with that in mind, Symi (next to Rhodes) is an option. The best place I’ve stayed is Paxos. But again - no airport. Also the ionians have a longer, wetter winter. If you’re going September, further east / south is more likely to still be dry and hot. Another place I loved was Paleokastritsa (Corfu), & of course the Genocide.

Fixed it for you :good:  

• Haha 4

I’ll second Paleokastritsa, and Paxos, as they’re the only places I’ve been :lol:

I have the proud distinction of being handed a 3000yr old tortoiseshell hairpin in the museum on Paxos, which promptly decided to snap itself in half. :lol:

Also found a church in Corfu Town that was stuffed to the gills with basil. 
You’ll be shocked to learn that it was St. Basil’s. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

I was in Crete last year which I thought was nice rather than spectacular. Though I didn't leave the Herkalion region so there may be nicer areas.

never been to that end but chania and rethimno are both really picturesque. the area around the venetian old town in chania is beautiful. 

i've been to crete three times, the two best trips staying near almyrida or in kokkino chorio. the beaches are narrow and sandy, some of most beautiful crystal clear sea water i've ever swam in. the small villages are unspoilt, not too touristy and the tavernas serve great food. it's really family friendly, cheap with great hospitality. i loved it but haven't been for about a decade

• Like 1

Cretan hospitality is legendary even amongst Greeks. Possibly in no small part to their absolute determination to get you rat-arsed on free shots of Raki ( or Tsikoudia, to give it its proper name). 

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Cretan hospitality is legendary even amongst Greeks. Possibly in no small part to their absolute determination to get you rat-arsed on free shots of Raki ( or Tsikoudia, to give it its proper name). 

they were great with kids too. We were made to feel welcome to enjoy a really long meal and sit in the taverna until 10-11pm with my then two year old running about the place having the time of his life while all the waiting staff played and talked to him (no one tutting or looking annoyed as you would expect elsewhere). It was so relaxed and idyllic, we would stay and end up getting shit faced long after his bedtime as the little one crashed in his buggy. Italy is a bit like this too. They expect you to come out with your young kids and will look after you until late 

• Like 3

On 13/04/2024 at 10:15, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Off to Mexico in September for “Can You Eat and Drink Yourself to Death?” All inclusive so if anyone knows of any decent excursions/excursion providers around Riviera Maya, I’m all ears 

We went to Xcaret theme park. Prices were fucking mental but the swimming in the cenotes was class 

IMG_9588.thumb.jpeg.86cc5b9d9f9485aa802dbf1d445cda43.jpeg