Rafa Benitez

Anorthernsoul

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Aye but Lascelles is the player he is thanks in part to Rafa. If we get another decent young prospect for him to develop then who knows. Or two.

Very good point.

Just remembered what he did with Carragher too.

We bought Lascalles for £3 million so i'd imagine Ashley being overjoyed to get £50+ million. The thing is its ok saying we could get a couple of defenders to replace him but he really is the backbone of the team.

13 minutes ago, trooper said:

We bought Lascalles for £3 million so i'd imagine Ashley being overjoyed to get £50+ million. The thing is its ok saying we could get a couple of defenders to replace him but he really is the backbone of the team.

Aye but that's just football. If he played for Liverpool and someone came along and offered them £50m then yeah, they could probably turn that down. But £70m? £100m? No matter who was in charge of us, based on where we are in the league, £50m would see Lascelles away.

And it's more than enough to replace him with.

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

There has to be patience.

Fuck off man. Newcastle fans have more patience than the NHS FFS.

Was just reading a comment BTL on the Guardian's match report from our game at the weekend, and one guy pointed out the following:

Great win for Newcastle, though probably the easiest of the season. There's a fascinating stat out there. The first ten games of the season, where Lascelles played the 90, we got 14 points. For the next six, when he was injured, we got 1 point. Since he's returned, we've picked up 17 points from 14.

So 1.3 points per game WITH Lascelles, 0.2 points per game WITHOUT. To put that into context, we'd be on for 49 points over a season with Lascelles playing. And in that spell without him, we had some very winnable games - WBA away, Watford, Everton and Leicester at home.

49 points would have us 6th, above Arsenal. So for all I'm saying Lascelles is replaceable at £50m, this is a good argument that I could be totally fucking wrong :lol: 

Don't know if someone else posted that on here or if I saw that stat somewhere else at the weekend. But I think he makes a massive difference because he's a good defender who has improved under Benitez but also the way we play means that we're usually only going to nick a game by a goal so the margins are that little bit tighter making defence even more important for us. I think Clark and Lejeune are both better alongside him too. Dummett (as I think has been mentioned elsewhere) was also a miss when he was out and helps make the defence a lot tighter. Even a win in one of those games and we'd be all but safe now.

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Don't know if someone else posted that on here or if I saw that stat somewhere else at the weekend. But I think he makes a massive difference because he's a good defender who has improved under Benitez but also the way we play means that we're usually only going to nick a game but a goal so the margins are that little bit tighter making defense even more important for us. I think Clark and Lejeune are both better alongside him too. Dummett (as I think has been mentioned elsewhere) was also a miss when he was out and helps make the defence a lot tighter. Even a win in one of those games and we'd be all but safe now.

Agree on how he improves the players around him for certain though. Surety of self and confidence I guess.

Just got around to reading the article above.  Seems like (given Hardy's position as Rafa's mouthpiece) he's (Rafa) making public amends for previous statements in the realisation that the takeover isn't happening?

As for Lascelles, he's come on so much under Benitez. Even last season, when he was carrying that injury, there were some doubts about his ability to cut it in the PL. Now he looks to be by far our most important player. We'd definitely take £50m but it's another situation where he's probably worth more. Remember he's an incredibly influential captain as well.

17 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

As for Lascelles, he's come on so much under Benitez. Even last season, when he was carrying that injury, there were some doubts about his ability to cut it in the PL. Now he looks to be by far our most important player. We'd definitely take £50m but it's another situation where he's probably worth more. Remember he's an incredibly influential captain as well.

i love him

6 hours ago, rogerbarton said:

Agreed, Ashley will snap someone’s arm off for that but it’ll weaken us even if we spent the full amount. We’ve not had a defender as influential on the back line since Woodgate. Rafa clearly deserves a lot of credit but after being among his critics I give Lascelles a lot of the plaudits now, we looked as shaky as we usually look in defence with the Clark and Lejuene pairing (our heaviest defeats the 4-1 loss to Man Utd and the 3-0 to Watford both were without Lascelles). 

I suppose the hope is that a takeover will happen from an ambitious group and we can build around Lascelles, otherwise if he carries on with this trajectory it’s hard to see how a Mike Ashley owned team would have him much longer. 

I’m a Lascelles fan (and lejuene/Clarke tbh) but all of them are limited. The shape we play and amount of drilling Rafa puts in makes them look better than they are imo.

Still rather have these lads who are looking to improve and try hard than previous over the hill cunts mind