Yes Gemmill...

catmag

33 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

A gaffer has just mentioned it, said he was a miserable cunt, the bloke's wrong about literally everything so there you go. I should ask him for the losing 44 lottery numbers. RIP.

Put laxative in his tea.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Renton said:

Just heard this. Gutted. Loved the Specials and his solo stuff. When people like this go they take a part of me with them. :sad:

Was surprised at how upset I was last night. Strange mixture of him being the epitome of melancholy in the first place but also images of kids wandering around  schools in pork pie hats and shades, some of whom didn’t make it.. Two Tone was ours, those of us too young for punk. Made awkward young lads embrace the dance floor for the first time . It was unique and of it’s time only but left a huge legacy. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

A gaffer has just mentioned it, said he was a miserable cunt, the bloke's wrong about literally everything so there you go. I should ask him for the losing 44 lottery numbers. RIP.

Leave a turd in the soulless cunts desk draw . Hall was bi polar but not diagnosed till 2004 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Was surprised at how upset I was last night. Strange mixture of him being the epitome of melancholy in the first place but also images of kids wandering around  schools in pork pie hats and shades, some of whom didn’t make it.. Two Tone was ours, those of us too young for punk. Made awkward young lads embrace the dance floor for the first time . It was unique and of it’s time only but left a huge legacy. 

Absolutely. I doubt anyone has captured the zeitgiest of the time more than the Specials (not trying to sound pompous, there really is no other word for it). And it was right in my formative years, which I think is why it is playing on my mind a bit today. But I genuinely loved his later music too, including the Colour Fields., which I will stick on today. I've seen the Specials a few times, last time would have been mouth of the Tyne festival at Tynemouth Priory, about 10 years ago (ffs!).

My best memory of Hall though is when he played at the Riverside upstairs venue, I think the same night as the notorious Oassis gig downstairs (although memory may be tricking me). There was a lad at the back constantly shouting "Terry, you're a special!" because he wouldn't play any Specials songs. Terry just handled it in his own gumpy way, I didn't know then (1994 I think) he had manic depression. At this stage I preferred his other stuff anyway. But it was still a lovely intimate gig. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Looks like it's a cunt of a day for influencial musicians in our lives, keyboardist Martin Duffy has also died, 55!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/dec/20/martin-duffy-primal-scream-and-felt-keyboardist-dies-aged-55

Bad day

In a ridiculous true story a couple of years ago our pub quiz team used to be called Primal Scream.

Embarrassingly one night Duffy was on a different team in the same pub. Came over for a chat. Lovely bloke

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Put laxative in his tea.

38 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Leave a turd in the soulless cunts desk draw . Hall was bi polar but not diagnosed till 2004 

It's a tribute really as the man is a grade II listed bull's knacker so I promise it would be more a concern if he liked him. :good:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Lovely thread this

He holds out a cupped hand on either side of him, palms up in the traditional 'scales of justice' manner and, weighing them, says - 'mmm. 'Ghost Town...House of Fun...Ghost Town...House of Fun.'

:lol:

Indeed, lovely. Wish I could have been part of that crowd! 

This from the Facebook page of Horace Panter, Specials bassist…

The Specials. Terry. This is what happened.

We had it all planned out. Make the album we were going to do in 2020 – a reggae album.
Record in Los Angeles in November. We had the studio booked, flights paid for, accommodation sorted. Roger Rivas from The Agrolites was going to co-produce. Shepard Fairey was going to do the cover. Lynval, still recovering from his spinal surgery earlier in the year, was over in the UK and raring to go. Terry had the framework for 8 tunes. Confidence was high. We were set to meet up with Nikolaj and make magic. This was in September. Terry e-mails everyone and says he’s in bed with a stomach bug and can’t do the first week of pre-production sessions. No big deal, we can knock everything back a week. We’re not due to fly out until November 4th. The next week, Terry is no better and is in hospital. There’s not much we can do except wait for him to get better. Sunday October 2nd and I get a phone call from Manager Steve.
And everything turns to shit.
Terry’s illness is a lot worse than we thought.
He has been diagnosed with cancer of the pancreas which has spread to his liver.
This is serious. Like life-threatening serious.
He has developed diabetes due to his pancreas being attacked. This has to be treated first, then it’s a regime of chemotherapy.
There is nothing anyone can do. Everything is put on hold.
Terry is emphatic that no-one be told about this. If anyone asks, he’s managing his diabetes.
The chemo treatment starts favourably but it seems that it would be March 2023 at the earliest before we’d be in any position to work. He is in and out of hospital to stabilise the diabetes issue and also to manage pain.
It then goes quiet.
Beginning of December and reports are not good. Terry has lost a lot of weight and is very frail. His friend Ian Broudie visits and phones Manager Steve. He fears that Terry is slipping away.
15th December and Manager Steve drives up to London to visit. He calls me on his return journey and says things are not looking promising. Terry is dying. The next day he is put on morphine and is more-or-less unconscious for most of the time. I thought it would be best for me to go and visit but Lindy, his wife, advises against it. She has held her phone to Terry’s ear so that his sisters and Lynval can say their goodbyes. She suggests I do the same. So, I did. It was tough.
Terry died around half past 5 the next evening, Sunday 18th December.
The world has lost a unique voice and I have lost a good friend.
Horace.

• Sad 4

Just read this. Pancreatic cancer ffs, again. It's horrible how many people seem to die with this, especially relatively young celebrities. Can think of Patrick Swayze, Lemmy, Steve Jobs, Aretha Franklin off the top of my head. It's often so agressive it kills you before you can properly make peace with the World. RIP Terry. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Yes Gemmill...