Yes Gemmill...

catmag

He was a fantastic player but I never liked the man - he only had eyes for his "United" and I know he spent his entire life there but as i mentioned when Jack died, the latter  though also a one club man knew where his heart really was. 

• Like 2

I think NUFC supporters are harsh on Bobby Charlton. I’d only have eyes for Man Utd if I’d climbed out a plane wreck for them then lifted the European Cup for them. Oh in between that won the World Cup. 

He’s England’s greatest ever player. That he apparently changed as a person is a concern for family, no fucker else . Though I think that’s overstated a bit tbh . Didn’t Jack present him with a lifetime achievement award?  :cuppa: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I think NUFC supporters are harsh on Bobby Charlton. I’d only have eyes for Man Utd if I’d climbed out a plane wreck for them then lifted the European Cup for them. Oh in between that won the World Cup. 

He’s England’s greatest ever player. That he apparently changed as a person is a concern for family, no fucker else . Though I think that’s overstated a bit tbh . Didn’t Jack present him with a lifetime achievement award?  :cuppa: 

I think the muted response from North East supporters reflects his ambivalence to his childhood region. 

His footballing achievements are exceptional, no problems acknowledging that. 

But the man was a monumental cunt. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I think the muted response from North East supporters reflects his ambivalence to his childhood region. 

His footballing achievements are exceptional, no problems acknowledging that. 

But the man was a monumental cunt. 

pretty much sums it up for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Cunt seems a bit harsh :lol: 

It was his mother who was the cunt. 

From Jackie:

“I could have had a trial with Newcastle, but my mother never let us go there because she said that Newcastle would get kids to sign a form which meant they’d never be able to go anywhere else to play football.

“She wouldn’t have anything to do with them.”

On 21/10/2023 at 16:39, PaddockLad said:

This touches on it. Bobby always seemed a bit cold, unemotional, disconnected, compared with his brother. But the fact he was probably suffering from PTSD and survivor guilt, he was naturally just shy, and his wife fell out with his mother (who reading between the lines does not sound all that nice) proabbly accounts for this. He clearly found happiness ay Man United, fair enough, tbh I would be wanting to forget I was from Ashington too. Who the fuck is anyone to judge? 

Interestingly I always though Milburn was their cousin, reading this I think he was their second cousin.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/22/bobby-and-jack-charlton-the-brothers-who-won-together-but-lived-apart?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Like 1