Next Manager

Kid Dynamite

In his NUFC career, Shola scored 53 league goals. Of those, 10 came in the Championship. From 11 starts plus 7 sub appearances. If you don't think Mitrovic has more ability than Shola then you need to stay off the bong

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will due to the price we paid, I can't see Ashley wanted to take a loss on him when he's only 21 and could comfortably get 15 goals in the Championship.

What are the odds that Mitrovic would stay if/when we get relegated, anyways?

Charlie Austin scored 18 goals in the pl for Qpr and they were able to keep him

I know they sold him in January but that's mainly down to them not having any chance of promotion/contract running out or he would have stayed

Charlie Austin scored 18 goals in the pl for Qpr and they were able to keep him

I know they sold him in January but that's mainly down to them not having any chance of promotion/contract running out or he would have stayed

I think the comparison is apt but not necessarily in the way you mean because Austin left due to Southampton being his dream move (because he still lived in Poole). I.e. whether Mitrovic goes or stays will be all about who comes in for him (or not). I suspect a few other clubs will have seen his potential and will also note that he's had a year to acclimatise to playing in England.

I think the comparison is apt but not necessarily in the way you mean because Austin left due to Southampton being his dream move (because he still lived in Poole). I.e. whether Mitrovic goes or stays will be all about who comes in for him (or not). I suspect a few other clubs will have seen his potential and will also note that he's had a year to acclimatise to playing in England.

Yeah but they kept him in the summer, Leicester put a 12m bid in and it was rejected.

In January they were no chance of promotion really, so they got the money while they could (same with losing Sandro, Fer)

I know what you mean by him wanting the Southampton move but if Qpr were in a play off place/automatic, like in the summer he wouldn't have been allowed to move

Did I read a while back that none of our squad have wage reducing relegation clauses?

Apparently. This could actually be a good thing in terms of player retention. The ones who are itching to leave (Sissoko, Janmaat, Cisse, Tiote etc) will leave anyway but any who are in two minds will be more inclined to stay and have a go at getting us promoted as they are still going to be on premiership wages.

Devils advocate, but if we start holding players to contract against their will, we're not going to have a very good season, even in the championship. I think a lot of this depends on the mentality of the players. We could be severely in trouble though depending on how many of them turn out to be prima donnas.

Out of interest

Mitrovic has scored 8 goals this season in the premier league with 7 games remaining

If he was to stay how many goals do you think he will score in the championship?

Surely if he stays you have to think he's going to be one of the best strikers in the division

I'm not sure the two equate. I'm also not saying he won't do ok.

He's only 21, he's scored 8 goals. Two of those were penalties and one a deflected header. Yes they all count, but that leaves 3 goals he's scored with his feet all season. It's not as though he's been whizzing shots left right and centre and having goalies pull off great saves. He also seems to lack pace and both managers have decided not to start him this year.

None of that for me adds up to a certainty to be one of the best strikers in the championship.

So given the above and the lack of any other real goal threats, it's little wonder that I'm concerned about repeating our 90 goal haul of last time.

He's only 21, he's scored 8 goals. Two of those were penalties and one a deflected header. Yes they all count, but that leaves 3 goals he's scored with his feet all season. It's not as though he's been whizzing shots left right and centre and having goalies pull off great saves. He also seems to lack pace and both managers have decided not to start him this year.

None of that for me adds up to a certainty to be one of the best strikers in the championship.

So given the above and the lack of any other real goal threats, it's little wonder that I'm concerned about repeating our 90 goal haul of last time.

Oh ffs, stop being a stupid cunt.

Who in the Championship would you swap him for?

Devils advocate, but if we start holding players to contract against their will, we're not going to have a very good season, even in the championship. I think a lot of this depends on the mentality of the players. We could be severely in trouble though depending on how many of them turn out to be prima donnas.

I'm not talking about forcing them to stay. I reckon a big reason players want to leave relegated clubs is that they don't want to lose money. Most of them won't go to champions league or title chasing clubs or they wouldn't be playing for relegated clubs in the first place. Money is the major factor in most of our players minds.

That's like asking me what's in your fridge.

In which case aren't we saying that what's in your fridge, by your own analogy, can't be as good as what's in anyone else's fridge.

Actually I can see your reasoning now.

In which case aren't we saying that what's in your fridge, by your own analogy, can't be as good as what's in anyone else's fridge.

Actually I can see your reasoning now.

Believe it or not, there's plenty of fans in football, particularly 50 years plus, who watch the team they support once a week and have little interest in other teams, other divisions, other countries.

In fact, until recently that was the norm. A lot of us grew up supporting the club via the radio ;)

Different kettle of fish for younger fans. They've grew up on all you can eat football, not to mention football manager and its ilk.

I suppose I have the same scepticism about Mitrovic as people on here like @@Renton had about Andy Carroll last time we were relegated.

Ideally I'd like our owners to have one or two next James Vardys lined up.

Believe it or not, there's plenty of fans in football, particularly 50 years plus, who watch the team they support once a week and have little interest in other teams, other divisions, other countries.

In fact, until recently that was the norm. A lot of us grew up supporting the club via the radio ;)

Different kettle of fish for younger fans. They've grew up on all you can eat football, not to mention football manager and its ilk.

I suppose I have the same scepticism about Mitrovic as people on here like @@Renton had about Andy Carroll last time we were relegated.

Ideally I'd like our owners to have one or two next James Vardys lined up.

There's zero comparison between Andy Carroll last time and. Mitrovic now. None at all. Anyway, the championship was the making of Carroll. Really not sure what your point is, you seem to be sitting on both sides of the fence, unsurprisingly.

I can see the Championship being the making of a lot of our players next year. The same way that it was for the likes of Colo, Enrique etc.

Mbemba, Mitrovic, Aarons, Perez, Armstrong would all benefit from a year of dominating against lesser competition and I think we'd be competitive in the 2017/18 PL season.

Janmaat, Wijnaldum, Krul and a few others are the only guys I can really see leaving.