Rio Summer Olympics 2016 - Surviving is the Real Medal

Ayatollah Hermione

Aye, the fencing was good. Quite enjoy the challenge of trying to get your head around the rules and scoring systems for the different events. The wife and I were still scratching our heads on the diving till about round 4 or 5

They jump off a diving board. The one that does it best wins. I mean I would say it's one of the simpler ones to understand. [emoji38]

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diving is like the Torvill and Dean ice prancing to me.... I have literally no idea what makes one routine better than the next one unless you fall over on the ice or catch your head on the board...in which case what the fuck are they doing there in the first place?...

Diving is like the Torvill and Dean ice prancing to me.... I have literally no idea what makes one routine better than the next one unless you fall over on the ice or catch your head on the board...in which case what the fuck are they doing there in the first place?...

The only thing I judge it on is how big of a splash they make. [emoji38] You can see the synchronisation or lack of on a replay, but how they judge it in real time when they're corkscrewing and somersaulting simultaneously is beyond me. The judges apparently don't get the benefit of a replay.

The only thing I judge it on is how big of a splash they make. [emoji38] You can see the synchronisation or lack of on a replay, but how they judge it in real time when they're corkscrewing and somersaulting simultaneously is beyond me. The judges apparently don't get the benefit of a replay.

As far as I understand it, they just give the Chinese 9s and everyone else 8s, irregardless of the actual dives performed.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

The Chinese made the smallest splashes so that checks out fine with me.

Seriously though. Two seconds after those lads entered the water, the surface was completely still again. You could be forgiven for thinking they'd disappeared.

[emoji38] There's definitely a pattern whereby they're incredible at all of the events that can be drummed into you with incessant practice and beatings.

People have been complaining that they didn't look happy enough about bronze in the team gymnastics. The Japs won the gold you dickheads. These blokes are going home to have the soles of their feet caned until the next Olympics starts.

[emoji38] There's definitely a pattern whereby they're incredible at all of the events that can be drummed into you with incessant practice and beatings.

People have been complaining that they didn't look happy enough about bronze in the team gymnastics. The Japs won the gold you dickheads. These blokes are going home to have the soles of their feet caned until the next Olympics starts.

:lol: I can only imagine the punishment that a ping pong player would get if he failed. Probably locked in a Tibetan monastery and tasked with hitting a ball off a back wall with his bare hands.

Just seen the North Korean synchronised women's diving coach's reaction to her pair's fuck up and they may as well apply for asylum now.

"48 Years Later, The Real Story That Already Emerged Years Ago Emerges Again"

The internet nowadays, I tell you... :lol:

Snarkiness aside, you're absolutely right though, it's a brilliant story. So many yarns spun from the Olympics over the years - I could get lost in this series for hours https://www.theguardian.com/sport/series/50-stunning-olympic-moments

the diving was different class last night - not sure i'd fancy diving into that green water mind. they still don't seem to have an idea what caused it. 

and the gymnast are just super humans, aren't they.