President Biden

Happy Face

Have a look at the transcript. The questioning wasn't particularly aggressive and received the same bland answers that they would have gotten from Jay Carney.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/01/31/statement-press-secretary-sean-spicer

Nowt at that link.  Would like a read if you paste it in cheers.

The questioning is in the link. 

To save your Ctrl and F buttons I'll help you out.

Q    December 3rd, on Fox.  He said, "The other thing with [the] terrorists is you have to take out their families."  Is that still his position?

MR. SPICER:  I think he's been very clear that when it comes to seeking out ISIS and other terrorists, that he's going to lean on Director Pompeo, General Mattis, and seek their opinion on stuff.  And I think that will be continued.

Q    Even the families of terror suspects, civilian members of families, Sean?

MR. SPICER:  Thank you.  Rebecca.

Q    Thanks, Sean.  Just following up again about the strike over the weekend in Yemen.  Can you confirm that the eight-year-old -- the reports that the eight-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki was killed in that strike?  And if you can address sort of the killing of the American citizen in this anti-terrorism operation.

MR. SPICER:  I'm not going to go any further than what the Department of Defense has released.  Obviously, we recovered a tremendous amount of information, and we killed an estimated 14 members of al Qaeda in -- AQAP individuals.  And then we suffered the loss of life of a servicemember, and four people were injured.  That's as far as I'm willing to go at this time.

Q    Sean, Hallie’s question was about civilians that are being targeted by the administration in anti-terror raids.  And Zeke’s question was about al-Awlaki’s daughter.  So let me ask you:  Is the President willing to kill and target American citizens, even minors, just because their family members are terrorists?

MR. SPICER:  No American citizen will ever be targeted.

Ahh, I see, you're bringing up events from Obama's presidency 5 years ago and ignoring the present and frankly worrying events of today because someone's got to? Righto. Nothing to do with being fixated with Obama then. And Trump is off the hook as long as other posters cover it. Gotcha.

Don't be silly Renton.

A Trump strike killed an 8 year old American this week.  It's disgusting.  As disgusting as when an Obama strike killed her brother.  I'm not plucking events randomly from 5 years ago.  These things are intrinsically linked and relevant.  i'm commenting directly on the heinous acts of the current president.  i said last week that Obama's acts (and those of Bush) would be repeated and built upon by Trump and that the criticism would be easily deflected by Trumps camp as a double standard, given the lawlessness that has prevailed prior to his presidency.

I refuse to accept the media was complicit in a collective failure to hold Obama to account.

But let's focus on what's happening now.

Everything trump does is in the spotlight because we're only just over a week in and he has already pushed hard to try to redefine the political landscape - in several troubling areas. This will quickly become the new normal if people stop protesting, if online discussion loses momentum and yes - if the press stops doing its job properly.

We have to continue to be outraged. Extreme policies have to be scrutinised. Alternative facts need to be exposed. This isn't harsh and Obama didn't get a free pass. I think he signed like one executive order in his first few weeks in office.

Okay then. You're more bothered about criticising the press than you are Trump. Given the signs trump wants to censor the press, his blatant use of "alternative truths" and the use of social media to deliver them, and the influence of Bamboo, I also find this incredible.

And you are obsessed by Obama btw.

Edit: Bamboo? [emoji38] Bannon. Using a phone one handed on a metro appears to be beyond me. :D

What's Bamboo been doing?

I refuse to accept the media was complicit in a collective failure to hold Obama to account.

Not being based in USA it's hard to get a proper feel for the mood of the media but I do have a feeling that they did cut Obama more slack than they will do Trump. Partly because Trump is a massive fuckwit but also because Obama and his administration were much cleverer and more media savvy than Trump's lot.

The questioning is in the link. 

To save your Ctrl and F buttons I'll help you out.

Cheers, link works now too, was just a white house front page when I first tried.

Like I say, I'm more intrigued by the questions than the bland answers, so Carney got....

Q. What about the drone strike that killed the 16-year-old son of Awlaki. Does he meet that definition of a senior operational leader as outlined in the white paper?

MR. CARNEY: Answer

Q: One more. Israeli television says the President will visit.....

Spicer got

Q    December 3rd, on Fox.  [Trump] said, "The other thing with [the] terrorists is you have to take out their families."  Is that still his position?

MR. SPICER:  Answer

Q    Even the families of terror suspects, civilian members of families, Sean?

MR. SPICER:  Moves on to another Q

Q    Thanks, Sean.  Just following up again about the strike over the weekend in Yemen.  Can you confirm that the eight-year-old -- the reports that the eight-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki was killed in that strike?  And if you can address sort of the killing of the American citizen in this anti-terrorism operation.

Q    Sean, Hallie’s question was about civilians that are being targeted by the administration in anti-terror raids.  And Zeke’s question was about al-Awlaki’s daughter.  So let me ask you:  Is the President willing to kill and target American citizens, even minors, just because their family members are terrorists?

MR. SPICER:  No American citizen will ever be targeted.

I find the latter to be a far more concerted push for answers with reporters working together to follow up each others questions and get answers, and the last response included a much more satisfactory, conclusive promise than anything in the Obama discussion (even though targets and "collateral damage" will always be muddled by the administration, as we know the definition of al qaeda fighters Trump inherits is any male over 16 in the target zone).

I find the latter to be a far more concerted push for answers with reporters working together to follow up each others questions and get answers, and the last response included a much more satisfactory, conclusive promise than anything in the Obama discussion.

Spicer is an inexperienced press secretary and a moron to boot. I'd wager that the press corp were much more hopeful of getting him to misspeak than they were of Carney. You've watched the West Wing. A good press sec can control the room.

Edited by ewerk

Not being based in USA it's hard to get a proper feel for the mood of the media but I do have a feeling that they did cut Obama more slack than they will do Trump. Partly because Trump is a massive fuckwit but also because Obama and his administration were much cleverer and more media savvy than Trump's lot.

And because Trump represents an existential threat to them.

So is HF criticising the press now, or criticising the press from 5 years ago? You'd think there would be more pressing things to think about in 2017 (pardon the pun).

No, but Trump (rightly) has a dogged white house press corps pushing for answers repeatedly, in order to embarrass the white house and highlight the issue.  If one question was asked at an Obama white house press session, it looks like it was only one and then tea & biscuits.

The best bit of questioning came later on, outside the white house press corps, from Sierra Adamson who cornered the former white house press secretary leading him to blame the kid for having a terrorist dad.

Trump and his team have said that the press are the opposition. :D

And because Trump represents an existential threat to them.

So is HF criticising the press now, or criticising the press from 5 years ago? You'd think there would be more pressing things to think about in 2017 (pardon the pun).

The Press remain as partisan is they were 5 years ago Renton. There's no doubt whatsoever that a Clinton press secretary would have got less scrutiny on the topic, if any.

Cheers, link works now too, was just a white house front page when I first tried.

Like I say, I'm more intrigued by the questions than the bland answers, so Carney got....

Q. What about the drone strike that killed the 16-year-old son of Awlaki. Does he meet that definition of a senior operational leader as outlined in the white paper?

MR. CARNEY: Answer

Q: One more. Israeli television says the President will visit.....

Spicer got

Q    December 3rd, on Fox.  [Trump] said, "The other thing with [the] terrorists is you have to take out their families."  Is that still his position?

Q    Even the families of terror suspects, civilian members of families, Sean?

MR. SPICER:  Moves on to another Q

Q    Thanks, Sean.  Just following up again about the strike over the weekend in Yemen.  Can you confirm that the eight-year-old -- the reports that the eight-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki was killed in that strike?  And if you can address sort of the killing of the American citizen in this anti-terrorism operation.

Q    Sean, Hallie’s question was about civilians that are being targeted by the administration in anti-terror raids.  And Zeke’s question was about al-Awlaki’s daughter.  So let me ask you:  Is the President willing to kill and target American citizens, even minors, just because their family members are terrorists?

MR. SPICER:  No American citizen will ever be targeted.

I find the latter to be a far more concerted push for answers with reporters working together to follow up each others questions and get answers, and the last response included a much more satisfactory, conclusive promise than anything in the Obama discussion (even though targets and "collateral damage" will always be muddled by the administration, as we know the definition of al qaeda fighters Trump inherits is any male over 16 in the target zone).

they're trying to find out whether trump is enacting one of his pre-election promises. obama never suggested the aim of strikes should be to take out terrorists' families. how is it wrong to pursue that line given what trump has said on the matter in the past? 

Their friends own the media. ;)

they're trying to find out whether trump is enacting one of his pre-election promises. obama never suggested the aim of strikes should be to take out terrorists' families. how is it wrong to pursue that line given what trump has said on the matter in the past? 

It's not wrong.  I've put "(rightly)" twice now to say this is how the press should behave.  

They'll stop once Michelle gets in though.

Breitbart is alt right, Milo, White male exceptionalism. Ford or imported 4x4.

Info Wars is Libertarians, Survivalists, Tweakers, Skunk pussy. Christian fundamentalists. Pick up truck.

Veterans Today - Old right, Vets, Militias. Jeep.

Edited by Park Life

It's not wrong.  I've put "(rightly)" twice now to say this is how the press should behave.  

They'll stop once Michelle gets in though.

obama never stated a strategic aim should be to target the families of terrorists. it's pretty obvious to me this is why spicer is being pressed more on the matter. it's not like the same question wasn't asked of obama. the difference is he never openly suggested it was an objective. 

Read this last night.

https://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Room-Journey-Campaign-Alt-Right-ebook/dp/B01LXOO7UQ

Ronson and Alex Jones are tight.

Alex Jones owns Infowars and is best buds with Roger Stone.... best buds with Trump.

It's out of date.

Roger Stone was close to Trump way back but has moved to the center a bit. You see him as a hired gun even on MSM sometimes. He will pop up on RT just as much as CNN or summink....Notwithstanding he holds the pulse of the core ideas and he is on the Trump train (but not as a strategist more as a dandy confidante)...Jones put up  quite a firestorm during the campaign but his audience is actually to the right of him (there are grumbles on his reluctance to criticize Israel) and more new deal constitution perhaps than he is. Bannon now more has the ear of Trump.

The info-wars crowd are older more battle hardened as are the VT readership. We're talking all fringe conspiracy ideas as accepted truth....Breitbart however is the Zeitgeist and it is from that swarm the new ideas are coming.

To remake that which has been forgotten. The old gods if you like of Game of Thrones and the many faced god to boot.  The center cannot hold. Well we know that now. :D

Edited by Park Life

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden