2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

All of it.

The general themes of his policies/condemnation of the Tories haven't changed, they just get more headlines now because of the election. If anything it shows how many of his own party were charlatans trying to oust him when, if they had backed him sooner, it wouldn't be such a race against time to get him elected now

The election campaign had started four weeks ago. At the time Labour were well behind in the polls and Corbyn was busy saying nothing. I think most people have been surprised at how composed Corbyn has been and by what a mess May has been.

The 2 biggest anti-Cobyners on here have decided they are voting for him this week. I know it's the smallest sample size ever but the signs are looking good.

Getting a share of the SNP votes would be handy, surprised the Labour manifesto didn't include a 2nd referendum off the back of Brexit

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The election campaign had started four weeks ago. At the time Labour were well behind in the polls and Corbyn was busy saying nothing. I think most people have been surprised at how composed Corbyn has been and by what a mess May has been.

Aye, but the variable in that is people's opinions of Corbyn, rather than Corbyn himself. He hasn't changed for 40 years!

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 1

Let's not get too carried away like, he hasn't done anything yet. Polls are better but we could still end up with a landslide.

Personally feel the difference has been that people are seeing what he says himself rather than what how it looks through the filter of the press. It's also been beneficial that the PLP have finally shut up, as KD says.

Edited by Rayvin

29 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think a lot of Twitter twitching dick heads just go along with whatever is being said without doing any of their own analysis and most only have a passing interest in politics. Corbyn has always just been himself....Maybe the suits are darker and better fitting now. People don't understand that May is disliked by key players in her own party and others are also briefing against her. When they put too much make up on her she looks truly frightening on telly. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

Corbyn has changed though. The media training is really starting to tell. He simply was much less polished a year ago and the voting public couldn't see past that and that was one of my biggest concerns about him as leader.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Corbyn has changed though. The media training is really starting to tell. He simply was much less polished a year ago and the voting public couldn't see past that and that was one of my biggest concerns about him as leader.

He looks absolutely the same to me. I went to see him last year when he was speaking in Newcastle City Centre. Same manner, same presentation.

At the end of the day, who cares though. The main point is that he now looks electable to people who previously didn't think he was.

As an aside though, one thing that concerns me is that if he looks likely to win it, people might scare away from voting for him. The stuff about how unfit he is for office he is might still be buried in people's minds.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/28/amber-rudd-to-stand-in-for-theresa-may-in-televised-leaders-debate?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=228041&subid=12126657&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

Perfect opportunity for Corbyn to strike the killer blow. They won't want May up there because she's a bumbling mess, but it will give the press a field day if she's the only party leader who doesn't show up

Aye, it really is a chance to paint her as the coward she is.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

His delivery now is so measured and economical by contrast May looks fidgety and unhinged. In all honesty I don't think he's changed that much. I take your point however.

Andrew Neil: 'ISIS were formed long before intervention in Iraq'. :lol:  I'd like to see what Disneyesque timeline he is following.

Edited by Park Life

I don't know where the right wing media and Tory dark arts are going to go now. IRA stuff hasn't stuck, the Trident issue hasn't resonated and people rather more spending and less austerity. Even CT has jumped ship. :D

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's been interesting how little Brexit has featured in this from Labour's point of view. Starting to look like very sensible strategy.

The momentum chaps at the Varoufakis talk the other day were all staunch Remainers. Labour strategy of keeping Brexit chit chat off the table for now is a waiting game.

I think May wanted a Brexit based campaign, but she's woefully misjudged the public mood for 5 weeks of her trotting out empty souless sound bites that are just another echo chamber, only being heard by hardcore Tories.  The real turning point was the Tory manifesto launch and the u turn on social care. Then lo and behold Jezza has come up with some attractive policies. He won't win, but the resulting political clusterfuck could well see Teresa out on her arse one way or another, which is precisely what she deserves after basically outing herself as a big a shameless oppurtunist as the likes of Gove and Johnson ...."I DONT WANT BREXIT BUT I WANT TO BE LEADER MORE, WHERE DO I SIGN?!" .......where that would leave Brexit negotiations is anyone's guess :lol: 

17 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Well most of my voting life there's been not a great deal of difference between Labour and conservative. Lots of rhetoric on both sides but overall pretty similar. Centre left / right, both really fighting over the centre ground. Maybe my business background swayed me to the "torys know how to run things" view, particularly on the economy.

This time, not only is there a massive choice, but Labours plans haven't been AS slated as I thought they would be and when I consider there borrowing plans, I also consider how much the Tories have borrowed. I'm thinking if the Torie's can borrow so much (which I'm unsure what it's spent on, Labour borrowing to improve a lot of stuff doesn't seem so daft.

im also very pissed off with staff being employed by agencies and treated like shit. I trust Labour to address that more than tories.

still concerned about the likes of Abbott, Mcdonell etc and Brexit, but on the balance of things I think Labour deserve a shot. I also think that if they don't get in now, It will then be back to centre politics.

Boils down I suppose to an outlook of hope compared to dourness.

Fair play if you actually follow through. You've taken a lot of shit, but if you're switching for the reasons above, I think that's fair enough.

You still know nowt about football like ;)

All parties are just separate tentacles from the same octopus ,as far as I'm concerned.

It's just a party of people taking turns in pushing empty promises to the population classes.

Ordinary people given MP status with the chance of having some higher stance in the country/world and willing to be stringed up to the puppeteers so they can dance to their tune.

Ultimately the poor always lose. The poor will be thrown a few treats every now and then to pacify them in between systematically being taken for every penny they have, which is extremely little,

The low class as they are known.

The middle and then the higher classes have it a little better, or did, but as anyone can see, the middle classes are actually being diluted or concentrated, depending on their potential.

Basically the middle class become the lower class or if they're lucky, jump into the higher class bracket.

All controlled by the master puppeteers.

The end result is always that the rich get richer and everyone else pays for it.

The illusion that any party is there for you should be fairly clear to anyone that that is all it is and ever was.

I feel sorry for the kids born today and even in the last decade or so.

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

You've literally described the complete opposite of Jeremy Corbyn. The bloke rides a bike and wears a 10 year old suit and wants the poorer to get richer and the rich to pay for it 

Boris Johnson rides a bike and wears crap fitting clothes.

Take a look at most of them. They're unkempt.

There will be some real genuine people out there who want to get into politics just to try to help people.

It's what happens after gaining entry into that elite.

The cover purports to tell and sell a story but the entire reading never always reflects the cover version.

These people don't end up with all the trimmings by just gaining a few expenses and a small insignificant salary.

The beggar on the street can look anything but a well off person to those who buy into the acting.

Or the real beggar who starts off in a genuine state of hunger and who realises that this begging lark is potentially life changing if he/she decides to take full advantages of the perks that go far and above covering the initial well being.

4 hours ago, Rayvin said:

It's been interesting how little Brexit has featured in this from Labour's point of view. Starting to look like very sensible strategy.

True. It's corbyn's ambiguous Brexit stance I most dislike about him. But May is looking increasingly desperate over the issue. I don't think Corbyn has been amazing recently by any means. He was an accidental leader who was elected as a joke that backfired. I still firmly believe he belongs on the back benches.

But the same applies to May. I think the swing so far is to with how simply how atrocious she has been. This is not good as she will still probably win. 

Edited by Renton

56 minutes ago, wolfy said:

Boris Johnson rides a bike and wears crap fitting clothes.

Take a look at most of them. They're unkempt.

There will be some real genuine people out there who want to get into politics just to try to help people.

It's what happens after gaining entry into that elite.

The cover purports to tell and sell a story but the entire reading never always reflects the cover version.

These people don't end up with all the trimmings by just gaining a few expenses and a small insignificant salary.

The beggar on the street can look anything but a well off person to those who buy into the acting.

Or the real beggar who starts off in a genuine state of hunger and who realises that this begging lark is potentially life changing if he/she decides to take full advantages of the perks that go far and above covering the initial well being.

Aye, Boris and Corbyn are like 2  peas in a pod when it comes to their political beliefs. I know you're only regurgitating what you've read on conspiracy forums but it just makes you look stupid when you spout shite like this. 

My mate simply wont be told there's any difference between the labour party and the Torys. He just reckons they all lie. 

I spent about 20 minutes explaining the differences and pretty much disregarded everything, at the end he asked 'Have you watched Zeitgiest?' and I just gave up because North Durham is a safe labour seat and he didn't register to vote :lol:

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Aye, Boris and Corbyn are like 2  peas in a pod when it comes to their political beliefs. I know you're only regurgitating what you've read on conspiracy forums but it just makes you look stupid when you spout shite like this. 

Whatever floats your boat.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Some people want to believe that as it's easier than actually putting in a little bit of effort and finding out what each party is about.

Pretty much. It's a bit sad really and I think given the absolute huge difference between the parties it's frightening how many UK adults aren't clued up a all. 

The Tories rely on this a lot and I suppose a lot of journos do too. You'd think Corbyn was in the IRA blowing shite up as opposed to holding peace talks. 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Pretty much. It's a bit sad really and I think given the absolute huge difference between the parties it's frightening how many UK adults aren't clued up a all. 

The Tories rely on this a lot and I suppose a lot of journos do too. You'd think Corbyn was in the IRA blowing shite up as opposed to holding peace talks. 

He's done well covering up that Falls Road accent tbf.