Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

Hope they don't come for Bruno.

Paqueta has put out a statement saying he's contesting the charges, so we don't need to wait til June 3rd for his response. 

Paqueta denies any wrongdoing and any knowledge of the suspicious bets, which have been traced to Paqueta Island, off the coast of Rio de Janiero. 

If I were trying to run an international spot fixing scam I probably wouldn't base it on an island that shares my surname.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If I were trying to run an international spot fixing scam I probably wouldn't base it on an island that shares my surname.

You're called Paddy Paqueta? 

• Haha 4

That's a lot worse than what Tonali was charged with and he's pleading not guilty. 

He's fucked if he's found guilty. 

• Like 1

Is he being charged with both placing a bet AND then trying to make that bet pay out by getting carded? 

Bruno would be the fucking MASTER at this, given he can clearly turn the bookings on and off at will. 

• Haha 6

Nah, they aren’t saying that he’s placed any bets himself. He’s probably doing it to benefit friends and family back in Brazil.

Seems Man U are sniffing around McKenna (as well as Chelsea, Brighton) week before cup final, great timing

Guardian reporting that West Ham think his career will be over if found guilty. Seems wild that would end your career when Mason Greenwood still has one. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Nah, they aren’t saying that he’s placed any bets himself. He’s probably doing it to benefit friends and family back in Brazil.

That's mega ban territory 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Surely the FA know West Ham won us the world Cup so he should be allowed to get away with breaking rules. 

Same old Hammers, always cheating…

It will only get suspicious if the case against Paqueta gets decided by an Azerbaijani.

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Guardian reporting that West Ham think his career will be over if found guilty. Seems wild that would end your career when Mason Greenwood still has one. 

It should be over if he's found guilty. He's trying to influence games for financial gain, he should never be trusted on a football pitch again tbf. That said, Greenwood should be in prison on the nonce wing not playing in Spain.

I don't agree with that. It's almost certain that he didn't think getting carded was anything like trying to actually affect a result - it isn't really only in an instance when you also accidentally get sent off. He's not booting it into his own net or anything. 

He's been incredibly stupid but I don't think it should end your career.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I don't agree with that. It's almost certain that he didn't think getting carded was anything like trying to actually affect a result - it isn't really only in an instance when you also accidentally get sent off. He's not booting it into his own net or anything. 

It still shows that he had things on his mind which had nothing to do with the game of football itself. He is totally undermining the trust in sporting behaviour. Every of his actions will come under consideration especially with the amount of options you can have bets on all over the world.

We had it in Germany with referees and I think the only credible way to handle these actions even if minor is to punish the culprits very hard.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Getting carded intentionally could affect a result though, he's their best player (or one of) and him getting carded means he can't get as physical in midfield for fear of a second yellow - Getting an intentional booking has an influence over a match and possibly the result. If Pogba was given four years for trace amounts of PEDs in his blood then Paqueta should be looking at a similar length ban at an absolute minimum IMO, but I'd expect it to be longer.

32 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

At least Sandro only bet on us to win, the absolute degenerate legend.

No bed wetting from him. Didn’t he bet on us to beat Man City in the league cup, when we had Lascelles, Dummett, and Targett at the back? And we won?

The man is a prophet. If he wrote a betting tips column, I’d follow it.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Looks like Man United are going for Kieran McKenna. Might work out, or he might either be a flash in the pan or discover that the job is far too big for him.

Either way I'll be sad to see Erik go. 

Edited by Gemmill