Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

a luxury tax would surely allow the saudis to start spending their money at last

the current system isn't fit for purpose - arbitrary fines for everton and forest, making an example of the clubs at the wrong end of the table, while chelsea get to spend a billion plus with impunity. i can't see it continuing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

a luxury tax would surely allow the saudis to start spending their money at last

the current system isn't fit for purpose - arbitrary fines for everton and forest, making an example of the clubs at the wrong end of the table, while chelsea get to spend a billion plus with impunity. i can't see it continuing. 

If the money then goes back into clubs that spend below the agreed limits then it can only help teams like Luton or Sheff Utd too who come up with much smaller budgets too.

Teams will still have to comply with UEFA's rules - so the big boys won't be able to take the absolute the piss and teams like us, Villa, Everton etc would be able to spend what we can afford to try and get consistently into Europe.

Not sure why the bigger clubs (outside of Chelsea - who need this to get back into Europe) would go along with this though, they'll all be hamstrung by UEFA and it'll allow at least three clubs to close the gap and one of those clubs could afford to close it pretty rapidly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

:lol: timed nicely to coincide with their annual mass delusion about not really wanting to be in the top flight anyway 

If they were in the top flight, I'm sure they'd refuse our luxury tax contributions to their coffers anyway. Morally superior marra.

• Haha 4

Also, none of them grasping that the PL rule changes would really only benefit any team not playing in a European competition. The teams in Europe would be bound by UEFAs rules so Man City would not be able to "spend a billion quid" as a number of the tateys on there are going on about.

• Like 2

Just now, Dazzler said:

Also, none of them grasping that the PL rule changes would really only benefit any team not playing in a European competition. The teams in Europe would be bound by UEFAs rules so Man City would not be able to "spend a billion quid" as a number of the tateys on there are going on about.

Yeah but it’s adoption by UEFA would kill the ESL stone dead iyam :cuppa:

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Seems a bit too sensible 

The current PL clubs aren’t likely to vote to give Man City and us unlimited spending power unless the penalties are huge, enough to give oil rich despots second thoughts… it’s unlikely to happen iyam 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

If the money then goes back into clubs that spend below the agreed limits then it can only help teams like Luton or Sheff Utd too who come up with much smaller budgets too.

Teams will still have to comply with UEFA's rules - so the big boys won't be able to take the absolute the piss and teams like us, Villa, Everton etc would be able to spend what we can afford to try and get consistently into Europe.

Not sure why the bigger clubs (outside of Chelsea - who need this to get back into Europe) would go along with this though, they'll all be hamstrung by UEFA and it'll allow at least three clubs to close the gap and one of those clubs could afford to close it pretty rapidly.

chelsea might as they are surely going to get stung with a point deduction at some point - man city too? 

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Given the opposition to PIF’s takeover I can’t believe they’d vote for this mind…

IMG_4151.jpeg

Can we make sure Everton are punished by deducting a further 10pts first and THEN bringing this rule into place please?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

chelsea might as they are surely going to get stung with a point deduction at some point - man city too? 

Villa look like they are staring a potential PSR issue in the face too so they may be open to it. Forest and Everton will surely vote in favour, as would we.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Can we make sure Everton are punished by deducting a further 10pts first and THEN bringing this rule into place please?

I don't think it will matter, Everton will be taken over by 777 and they make Mike Ashley look like a sugar daddy :lol:

On 03/04/2024 at 17:10, Alex said:

It's pretty funny that as soon as sufficient clubs run foul of the rules by spending too much, the rules are set to change. Kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

The current PL clubs aren’t likely to vote to give Man City and us unlimited spending power unless the penalties are huge, enough to give oil rich despots second thoughts… it’s unlikely to happen iyam 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t know. A LOT has changed since the takeover was initially blocked etc. If clubs vote in self interest, rather than the forelock-tugging arse-licking we’ve seen on the past then I think there’s only  Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool who should be against it. Man Utd too I suppose. But after that? 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Every club is sick of this shit tbh. Other than Man City. And the PL have caused so much shit for themselves with points deductions, successful appeals and further questions about just what the fuck is happening with Man City, that this feels like a potential amnesty in waiting.

Not to mention the knock on effect of losing the attractiveness of the PRODUCT in overseas markets 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Illuminating :cuppa:

IMG_4158.jpeg

Is this all down to teams 'growing' (or finding/stockpiling) youth to sell? I can understand how we are above Spurs but I don't get Liverpool.