Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Not that it matters in the long run obviously but my initial impression of AS appears to be correct…. Am fuckin wavering this week like….

two sides of the same coin tbf, the Saudis and the Russians 

• Like 2

Doesn't look good. If we're charitable maybe we could assume she's trying to avoid another lawsuit. :lol:

It certainly isn't a good look to absolve Abramovich of his responsibility for contributing to the mutually assured suffering of the Russian people for economic benefit and instead explain it as 'a relationship [he] may have with someone'. However (and it's a small 'however' because this strikes as a smoke follows fire situation), Abramovich has not been found guilty of anything (yet) and so, really, if we're being charitable, what's she supposed to say? 'Yeah, he's a cunt! Running a team of cunts for a supporter base filled with new posh, boring cunts! Enjoy the Europa League (if you're lucky), losers!'

• Haha 2

And if she condemned Abramovich when asked that would've undoubtedly been the flavour of the follow up question. She knows where her bread is buttered and I think anyone who is taken in by our owners as 'nice people' properly needs to reassess things. It's not our problem as far as the club goes, imo, we can't control who owns us (the last fifteen years stands as evidence of that). But, yeah, maybe some should dial it down a notch on the 'they're just like real people' lark. It's time like these we need Wolfy to remind us they're all lizards anyway. It's time to be reasonable about this, people!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Putting in the groundwork for the next time MBS pulls some wacky gruesome shit. 

the next time? The last time I checked the death count in Yemen thanks to the ongoing Saudi onslaught was over 200k. 

Can someone either explain or link me to a decent explainer for why sanctioning abramovich or usmanov is a thing?

I know there are close ties to power in russia, but thats the case for any rich person in any country and I don't fully understand why seizing abramovichs yacht or forcing him to sell Chelsea is a response to Putin attacking Ukraine.

Is it to put pressure on them to make them put pressure on Putin? or does it have some more direct impact on the russians ability to wage war?

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Can someone either explain or link me to a decent explainer for why sanctioning abramovich or usmanov is a thing?

I know there are close ties to power in russia, but thats the case for any rich person in any country and I don't fully understand why seizing abramovichs yacht or forcing him to sell Chelsea is a response to Putin attacking Ukraine.

Is it to put pressure on them to make them put pressure on Putin? or does it have some more direct impact on the russians ability to wage war?

I think it basically just makes “us all” feel better.

I guess the logic is make them suffer and they’ll put pressure on Putin.

While he’s still powerful they are really just pawns and under his ultimate control. I guess they hope that eventually, enough of them can get together and remove / replace him.

25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Personally, I think it's about fostering internal pressure against Putin to destabilize the government, state and economy and ultimately lead to his removal from power. Also, I think it's a little side hustle attempting, under the justifiable association of these people with a tyrant, to bring some phenomenonally big pieces of shit to some semblance of justice.

Open to being completely and utterly wrong here but that's how I read it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

They have a direct line to him. The idea is if they lose their billions tied up overseas because of new sanctions then they might try to put pressure on Putin to change course, or if that fails maybe help instigate a coup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

There’s evidence to suggest the money they throw about after they’ve laundered it actually belongs to Putin. He’s the source, they're entrusted to mind it and if governments prevent access to it it hurts Putin.

this is a good read that explains it all  https://www.waterstones.com/book/putins-people/catherine-belton//9780007578818?awaid=3787&utm_source=redbrain&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=css&gclid=Cj0KCQiA64GRBhCZARIsAHOLriKR3e85shdZgnDEKvlowNecXnuf_hLyMENEYFSIJqf6x2tybcYj0ucaAtGzEALw_wcB

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Book recommendation. 

Purchased! This looks good.

What sealed the purchase was a chapter titled, 'Londongrad'. Grim.

It's always disappointing to be reminded about just how much corruption exists beyond our control in the world.

They’re kleptocrats. Money stolen from the Russian people for years has been cleaned in the Londongrad laundromat. Reputation management law firms are quick to go after any journalist that highlights the extent of the dirty money sloshing around the capital.  
But a lot of it is hidden in plain sight and is only really being scrutinised today because of the war. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

They’re kleptocrats. Money stolen from the Russian people for years has been cleaned in the Londongrad laundromat. Reputation management law firms are quick to go after any journalist that highlights the extent of the dirty money sloshing around the capital.  
But a lot of it is hidden in plain sight and is only really being scrutinised today because of the war. 

Another good one you’ve reminded me of, more of a global view @toonotl  https://harpercollins.co.uk/products/kleptopia-how-dirty-money-is-conquering-the-world-tom-burgis?variant=32844371624014&utm_source=AWIN&utm_medium=176013&utm_campaign=RedBrain+Ltd&awc=24652_1646347002_7f6159d0730503016a98f94fd15396a6 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It’s a good book. I saw the author won a case in the high court yesterday brought against him by a Russian oligarch 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Another good one you’ve reminded me of, more of a global view @toonotl  

Excellent! Thanks. Acquired with Audible credit.

Any more recommendations and I'll have to list you as a co-defendant in the ongoing battle with the missus to convince her I need all these books I'm purchasing throughout the year. :lol:

• Haha 1

Well EA sports have taken the Russian teams out of their games, a cat competition has banned Russian bred and breed cats, books by Russian authors are being banned at colleges, or they are at least trying to, and Russian and Belarusian Paralympians have been banned from the Beijing Paralympics. So you know really, really helpful stuff that's not just hurtful to the Russian people as opposed to their government that's run by a tyrant. Unfortunately we're led by tyrants, idiots and incompetent's, and at times all three of those things at once. 

What is your logic? That you have to target Russians until they march on mass against their government, who in all likelihood would enact another Tiananmen Square if that were to happen.