Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official

The Mighty Hog

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not remotely concerned tbh, because I firmly believe this won't happen :lol:

Having said that, what's the harm in a little speculation? :D

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not remotely concerned tbh, because I firmly believe this won't happen :lol:

Having said that, what's the harm in a little speculation? :D

If Ashley lets this slip through his sausage fingers shirley there should be a monumehtal backlash from the fans towards Ashley. I'd imagine Ashleyout.com are on stand by.

8 minutes ago, trooper said:

If Ashley lets this slip through his sausage fingers shirley there should be a monumehtal backlash from the fans towards Ashley. I'd imagine Ashleyout.com are on stand by.

Sternly worded letters being whiteboarded as we speak.

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Um... no...

I said it would be a stupid move, same as you. So if I'm 'reacting to it', then you've done the same thing since our position is...the same! :lol: 

The only mitigation on that point is that I consider that the low offer would actually make sense if it was a take it or leave it kind of deal. If it's not, then I would just consider it derisory if I were Ashley.

Your position was to believe the "take it or leave it" offer made sense.

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

:lol: If that's true, we're fucked. Although it would make sense given how low the offer is.

My position was to dismiss it, because it makes little sense. I offered a more likely scenario, where this rumoured bid is simply the first of a back-and-forth, moving towards a potential sale.

And my pants are dry, where yours are sodden.

Edited by The Fish

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Your position was to believe the "take it or leave it" offer made sense.

My position was to dismiss it, because it makes little sense. I offered a more likely scenario, where this rumoured bid is simply the first of a back-and-forth, moving towards a potential sale.

Nad my pants are dry, where yours are sodden.

:lol:

I still think we've made exactly the same point. All I did otherwise was support a previously stated view of mine (the offer is too low by far) and considered that logically, for me at least, the low offer coupled with a take it or leave it, could make sense.

Then you just barrelled into me, arms windmilling and everything :D

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:lol:

I still think we've made exactly the same point. All I did otherwise was support a previously stated view of mine (the offer is too low by far) and considered that logically, for me at least, the low offer coupled with a take it or leave it, could make sense.

Then you just barrelled into me, arms windmilling and everything :D

But an initial low "take it or leave it" offer makes no sense. 

If you were buying a car and tried to lowball the vendor with a take it or leave it offer, they'd tell you to fuck off, and should you try any future bids, your negotiating power would be banjaxed... if they entertained the bids at all.

So I wholly disagree that an initial bid that is low and a take it or leave it offer, makes any kind of sense.

How's that for windmilling, you big ol' Nazi?

Just now, The Fish said:

If you were buying a car and tried to lowball the vendor with a take it or leave it offer, they'd tell you to fuck off, and should you try any future bids, your negotiating power would be banjaxed... if they entertained the bids at all.

So I wholly disagree that an initial bid that is low and a take it or leave it offer, makes any kind of sense.

The first point is what I said though, it makes no sense. Unless you have no intention of going higher. So my view is that the bid is so low, as to actually not even be particularly useful in a negotiating context. Especially since Ashley already knew that they valued the club around this figure as it was widely reported. If she legitimately doesn't intend to negotiate, then the take it or leave it makes sense. And given that the bid is almost pointlessly low (assuming Ashley behaves in his normal way) it is conceivable that this is as far as they're prepared to go. Unless creating a media stir helps them in some other way, as Gloom was suggesting.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The first point is what I said though, it makes no sense. Unless you have no intention of going higher. So my view is that the bid is so low, as to actually not even be particularly useful in a negotiating context. Especially since Ashley already knew that they valued the club around this figure as it was widely reported. If she legitimately doesn't intend to negotiate, then the take it or leave it makes sense. And given that the bid is almost pointlessly low (assuming Ashley behaves in his normal way) it is conceivable that this is as far as they're prepared to go. Unless creating a media stir helps them in some other way, as Gloom was suggesting.

See this is where we diverge; in what world would someone make their first bid non-negotiable?

Edited by The Fish

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Your analogies are away to shit this morning.

Just now, ewerk said:

Your analogies are away to shit this morning.

My analogies are always shit, like a an overweight man trying to touch his toes.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

See this is where we diverge; in what world would someone make their first bid non-negotiable?

In a world where she wants to buy Liverpool and can demonstrate that 'final offer' means 'final offer' without risking that deal?

Just now, Rayvin said:

In a world where she wants to buy Liverpool and can demonstrate that 'final offer' means 'final offer' without risking that deal?

Why would lowballing Mike Ashley strengthen her chances with Liverpool's owners? 

Newcastle are worth, what, £280m? 

Liverpool are worth £1.5bn.

Ashley wants to sell.

FSG don't.

I dunno, was Gloom's original point. I'm mostly just arguing for the hell of it now.

Although the values of the clubs weren't my point. It was more about the mentality and the ability to show strength in deal making.

Edited by Rayvin

You've got to remember that journos get their information from 'sources', some of whom only know half of what is going on themselves. It's inevitable that a lot of shite ends up getting published.

To me, it makes absolutely zero sense to go through this whole process of looking to buy Newcastle - and they have actually gone quite far through the process - just to, what, show Liverpool they're serious about buying a football club? Why not just make a bid? :D

I'm also extremely doubtful that, if they are as serious as all signs point towards them being, they're just going to leave it if Ashley rejects this bid. It's all about negotiations. This is how they work.

Edited by rogerbarton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I dunno, was Gloom's original point. I'm mostly just arguing for the hell of it now.

Although the values of the clubs weren't my point. It was more about the mentality and the ability to show strength in deal making.

No it wasn’t :lol: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rogerbarton said:

You've got to remember that journos get their information from 'sources', some of whom only know half of what is going on themselves. It's inevitable that a lot of shite ends up getting published.

To me, it makes absolutely zero sense to go through this whole process of looking to buy Newcastle - and they have actually gone quite far through the process - just to, what, show Liverpool they're serious about buying a football club? Why not just make a bid? :D

I'm also extremely doubtful that, if they are as serious as all signs point towards them being, they're just going to leave it if Ashley rejects this bid. It's all about negotiations. This is how they work.

Agreed, but Gloom gets these ideas in his head and I dunno...

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Agreed, but Gloom gets these ideas in his head and I dunno...

Gloom is a drinker.

Proper Madmen style drink cabinet in his wood panelled office.

Plus I heard he calls his secretary "kitten".

• Like 1

• Tom changed the title to Newcastle United: Club Sold To PCP - Official